Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Forget cables! This is WAY beyond ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forget cables! This is WAY beyond ...

Drew:

Can I ask where you were able to audition this unit?

Thanks,
    Eric

Comment

Drew, thanks for your refreshing, sane comments. I have pondered in view of previous threads like this one why somebody who builds an (expensive) system around Harbeth speakers will be assumed to have chosen the speakers on the basis of their sound, and other components in the system on the basis of looks/hype/hear-say or whatever. I do believe, IMHO, that both a sensible and charitable judgement would assume a Harbeth user is primarily driven by sound-quality concerns. What we need is a bit of perspective - what one man perceives as an extravagant toy/luxury is seen by another as a wise investment. I remember, not many years ago when I bought a pair of speakers for 250, overlooking a better pair for 380 because I thought it was an insane amount of money to spend on hi-fi. Are we not all, as Harbeth users, amongst the world's extravagant rich? It boggles my mind how anyone who has spent about 2000 on a pair of speakers (yes, wonderful and good value ones as they are in my opinion) would cavil against those who have spent lots of money on optimising the sound of their (already-)expensive system.
      Can we not have a moratorium in this user group on condescending judgements on others and their creations? It can be dangerous to assume that one belongs to the enlightened few!

Comment

Interesting discussion. Here's a rather formal look on the tweaks syndrome.

Comment

Hi Drew and Tozen

Point taken. i only feel occasionally enlightened, eg. when someone else has opened up an amp similar to one i bought, and determined that the parts inside can be purchased from a mouser catalogue and be put together for less than a tenth of the rrp (and im starting to see a pattern to who these vendors might be). i must admit that it is pretty tough to draw the line between providing good value (eg.at up to how much would you pay for a pair of harbeths) and feeling ripped off after the fact, mostly due to not having the right information at time of purchase or opportunity to evaluate/ evaluate correctly. All I have been trying to say is back to basics – just go for good speakers. Im happy with my system but feel I wasted a lot of time going down avenues which in hindsight never made that much of a difference eg. Class a amps, tubes, cables, interconnects, turntable, power filters. Most of the time, I think I tricked myself into thinking there was an improvement (which in fact was just a difference which you would just forget a few days later). 2 days ago I listened to a poorly recorded track (it wasn’t as bad as a Robert Johnson) at a moderately low level through the SHL5’s and I convinced myself I was listening to a Toshiba bombeat from the 80’s. it was alike! . there are many other bigger factors which could affect sound quality and really don’t think a thingamagik would be the deal breaker here. Rest all thoughts….

Comment

Thanks, I am with you. I certainly don't want to be heard to say we don't need to exercise discernment! Of course there is much over-priced, over-hyped stuff in the hi-fi industry. But we would all, myself included, do well I think to exercise charity in our judgements. I read elsewhere on the web that someone's perception of Harbeth users, based on this forum, was of a sort of enlightened cult-like condescension towards the less wise than ourselves. Surely interesting that someone even came up with that impression.....
            Happy listening Am loving my new P3ESR's....

Comment

thanks unleash_me for the article. its very interesting. the harbeths seem to me to be the only consistent aspect of the music reproduction chain which can produce great sounding, foot tapping stuff for me.from the article id also like to add that casual non interested parties who have no interest in what we do eg. wives and girlfriends can sometimes have the most profound input into our hobbies. im not sure if its out of spite but i know my wife has said that "amp" (normally the cheaper one) sounds better. i think, with a lot of pain, she is right.

Comment

Couldn't agree with you more Kittykat. I had moved from Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Dali and ProAc to finally reach Harbeth. None of these aforementioned speakers could give me the kind of sonic purity I get from SHL5.

Regarding cables, I'm using the signature series from Chord for interconnects and cables but then again, these have been with me for years and quite frankly I haven't tried many. Power cords however are all stock ones.

Cheers.

Comment

Hello Eric,
                  I used a friends unit for my audiion.I purchased my unit from Bryan(owner)of Gramophone Records in Edmonton,,although I live Calgary.Bryan is a great fellow.He also happens to be a Harbeth dealer.Where do you live Canada?If you go on to the Audience web page,it will tell you where the nearest dealer is.Best.

Comment

Thanks Drew. I live in Vancouver, but as it happens I've just ordered an item from Bryan - one of the new HRT Music Streamer II+, for which he is the only Canadian authorized dealer. I'll look into the Audience gear at some point.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                    X