Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Speaker cables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker cables

Which speaker cables do You use on Your Harbeths?

I an very fond of my Kimber 8TC bur am not sure if they will do the trick with Harbeth speakers.

I remember having seen a picture from some hifi show where a system with M40.1s where wired with Kimber.

What are Your experiences?

I've heard a story (not sure if it's true) that Alan once used the cord from an electric lawn mower at one of the electronic shows. I've got a couple of those in the garage my wife damaged with our hedge clippers. I've always been tempted to trim them up and give them a try. They have 3 wires though and I've never been sure whether to use one on + and two on - or the other way around. I guess I could leave one not connected at all. Oh dear, decisions, decisions. I actually have two damaged chords, one yellow and the other orange. I wonder which one will sound better ;) ?
    Last edited by Don Leman; 13-06-2010, 02:41 PM. Reason: added smiley in case anyone thought I was serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Leman View Post
      I've heard a story (not sure if it's true) that Alan once used the cord from an electric lawn mower at one of the electronic shows. I've got a couple of those in the garage my wife damaged with our hedge clippers. I've always been tempted to trim them up and give them a try. They have 3 wires though and I've never been sure whether to use one on + and two on - or the other way around. I guess I could leave one not connected at all. Oh dear, decisions, decisions. I actually have two damaged chords, one yellow and the other orange. I wonder which one will sound better ;) ?
      Well You try that. I think I'll stick with my Kimbers then.

Anybody else who has an opinion on this subject? :-)

Comment

I use Kimber speaker cables with my SHL5's and the sound is superb.

Geoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid 17 View Post
          I use Kimber speaker cables with my SHL5's and the sound is superb.

Geoff.
          Interesting... Which Kimbers do You use?

Comment

DNM Stereo Solid Core for me.

Comment

I use Chord Carnival Silver Screen - I think it was fairly inexpensive (though it's been a few years since I bought it), and it sounds fine. But if you have Kimber, I'm sure that'll work too.

Comment

foils, high surface area to volume - Xindax FS1.0's. Does it make a perceivable difference. Can' t tell for sure. Come to think of it, they might not be up to the job of powering a lawnmover. It'd just heat up, in which case it would make the lawnmover cable a better conductor.

Comment

Kimber 12TC. Gave back two lengths of 8TC I had from old set up (one of them unused), and got this one for free by the local distributor. No detectable differences at first listenings, some tiny ones after careful comparison (quick swap test before the exchange). I think Alan's comments have been proven to be quite true at last...
                  Regards,
                  Thanos
                  Last edited by Thanos; 14-06-2010, 06:05 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by Brian7500 View Post
                    Interesting... Which Kimbers do You use?
                    I bought them a few years ago and I believe they are 4 PR. When I bought them I bought four separate lengths and bi-wired to each speaker.

Geoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Leman View Post
                      I've heard a story (not sure if it's true) that Alan once used the cord from an electric lawn mower at one of the electronic shows.
                      It was Peter Walker with a pair of his Quad electrostic speakers.

I'm sure Peter and Alan would agree cables obey the laws of physics and have no magical qualities. It would be a strange cable that had such resistance, capacitance and inductance to have any audible effect of a pair of loudspeakers.

Buy some decent copper wire and have done with it!

Comment

Audioquest Type 8

Comment

Originally posted by Labarum View Post

I'm sure Peter and Alan would agree cables obey the laws of physics and have no magical qualities. It would be a strange cable that had such resistance, capacitance and inductance to have any audible effect of a pair of loudspeakers.

Buy some decent copper wire and have done with it!
                          I use VERY SPECIAL SEVENTYNINE STRAND TRANSPARENT (insulation) copper (I think) cable from a PROPER HIFI shop.
                          No more cooker mains cable for me, oh no.
                          It has :
                          a) LOW resistance (79 bits of copper)
                          b) LOW inductance (as long as it's not wrapped round and round the chairs).
                          c) LOW capacitance (I didn't ask for high capacity cable)

Sounds just the same as the cooker cable as long as I make sure lots of the little slivers of coppery are fastened to the binding posts.
                          Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Comment

Auditorium 23 throughout for me. Works beautifully!

Comment

Personal opinion - where cables have an effect on the sound, it is mostly their interaction with the amplifier rather than the speakers. Some amplifiers are designed with particular cable impedance in mind and unusually high capacitance or inductance may affect the performance or even stability of the amplifier (Naim and NVA for example). A quick read of the amp's manual can eliminate a lot of worry.

I'm using solid copper "anti-cables" lent by a friend a couple of years ago, they work well but being stiff are a bit of a pain to organise. The friend prefers his Kimber but from what I can remember of a subjective comparison we made at the time what little difference there was (about 0.1HBJ, IIRC) was purely presentation. He was using a Myst TMA3 amplifier and Musical Fidelity MC4 speakers.

Just for laughs, I compared 1.5mm sq. solid-core twin-and-earth mains wire to the anti-cables. Using an NVA AP20 (a cable sensitive amp) and Harbeth P3ESRs the anti-cables definitely sounded cleaner (~ 0.5 HBJ), the dielectric effect of the twin-and-earth's PVC insulation was probably responsible (also bear in mind different wire gauge, anti-cables are something like 2.5mm sq. ). But twin-and-earth was not at all *bad*.

Future experiments in cheapskate cableology may include silicone-insulated fire alarm cable and Maplins transformer wire.

Comment

Working...
                              X