Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Speaker cables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audioquest Bedrock with my Compact 7 ES3's. I'm thinking of trying Kimber 8.

Comment

As Honman states above, there's likely more going on between the amplifier and speaker cable than with the speaker and the cable. As such, I use Quicksilver speaker cables to interface with my Quicksilver amplifiers. Mike Sanders, the designer/engineer at Quicksilver is, much like Alan Shaw, a no BS kind of guy who designed the cables to interface nicely with his amplifiers. They're cheap and they sound good. Period.

Comment

I am using more than 10yrs old MIT Terminator2 single wire (bought it used) for both c7 and shl5 and sound great.
        "Bath with Music"

Comment

I read Kimber name in this thread..I think this link is useful.

http://sites.google.com/site/isthist...ff/kimberkable
          "Bath with Music"

Comment

Thank you very much for this information. Buying from a reputable dealer is your best protection.

Comment

Originally posted by keithwwk View Post
              I read Kimber name in this thread..I think this link is useful.

http://sites.google.com/site/isthist...ff/kimberkable
              Yes, it is very useful info. Fakes' "industry" has gone too far... Drdennis is quite right!

Comment

Wow, this is indeed an eye opener! I wonder how many other well known brands are victims of fraudulent fakes! I know that Oyaide also has counterfeits! It is scary how closely the fakes resemble the real McCoys and unless you knew the tell-tale signs, it would well nigh be quite impossible to distinguish one form the other!

Comment

Don't they all sound the same anywayhttp://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/images/icons/icon11.png

Comment

Harbeth 7ES-3 with QED Cable

I am English, from Coventry originally, now living in US - I have just purchased my first pair of Harbeth Speakers (7ES-3). I think I have narrowed speakers down to QED! I would love an opinion on a couple of choices:

QED Silver Anniversary, QED Revelation or basic QED 79 Strand Classic?
                    The will be connected to a Leben 300XS or maybe my Nain XS sometimes!

Thanks,

DF

Comment

Speaker cable? Listen to Alan's advice

Congratulations on your C7s. I used to have a Leben CS300XS too. Must be a great combination. You ask about QED speaker cable, have you looked through the HUG for advice? Alan Shaw's opinion is stated often around the site. Here is a quote from him regarding cable for Harbeths...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      6. Harbeth speakers do not need fancy cable. Anything available that is reasonably thick will work OK. QED 79 strand (see attached picture) or 5A electrical flex will get you going. Simple, un-cool standard flex is all you need. Avoid exotic cables with strange electrical characteristics.
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From my own careful reading of Alan's postings, I can gather that he (as the designer) does not consider any improvements to be possible from fancy cables. If they could improve the sound he would know and say so, wouldn't he?

I use Kimber 4PR and that is likely my final cable, I won't spend money on the stuff anymore so I'm sticking with what I've got for the long haul. Your Leben amp and Harbeth C7s, not to mention your room, will have such a disproportionate effect on the sound you achieve that a bit of speaker wire of decent thickness will not rock the boat to any discernable degree.

Go with the QED 79 strand and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Comment

Not expensive ...

Thanks GregD - all three of them are not expensive, probably $100 different's between them all! I just thought that if it was better coated to protect the copper and maybe prevent it from deteriorating, and not because I think it would sound better! but I think you are probably correct, and so is Alan...

Thanks - DF

Comment

Just to let you know, I went with Atlas Hyper 2 Speaker cables - prety inexpensive, about $200 for 3m terminated; I will let you know how they are...

Comment

Originally posted by Davef View Post
                            Just to let you know, I went with Atlas Hyper 2 Speaker cables - prety inexpensive, about $200 for 3m terminated; I will let you know how they are...
                            Sounds like a good solidly-made cable Davef, are they using spades or plugs? I prefer plugs - easier to remove if necessary.

PS. I've just bought a Leben pre/power. It's really nice stuff isn't it?

Comment

Hi - it is using plugs, prefer them myself also! They are terrific, and I enjoy mine very much, I also enjoy my Naim XS, but the Leben are special, and very well made... The Pre/Power must sound fantastic?

DF

Comment

Taking delivery of the Leben CS660P poweramp tomorrow

Well, I used to have a CS300XS and it was indeed very listenable and enjoyable. Frank Sinatra and other vocalists and jazz groups from the 50s and 60s on Capitol sounded the best ever through that amplifier and my old ProAcs (now using LS3/5a)

The Leben poweramp is going to be even better I hope, I've ordered a new Leben RS28CX but they have to build it in Japan first! Very exciting, after that I'm probably going to get the P3ESR, or maybe the C7 (like you) if they will work in my very small room (3.4m by 2.8m).

However, the P3 has just been mentioned in the Newsletter winning the Stereo Sound Japan Grand Prix Award and I'm so impressed and pleased that I think it just has to be the P3ESR for me now. As I say, I've had LS3/5a and small ProAcs for years, so I know what to expect (generally) from a mini-monitor.

You must be getting great music with those amplifiers and the C7, Great choices all round!

Comment

Working...
                                X