Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Cables the diameter of your finger? What about inside the amplifier?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is more to it than that.

For example, a cable which sounds light, bright and thin (Nordost) might suit one system better than another whilst a cable like Supra, which is fat and warm would suit another. Personal taste also comes into play.

Comment

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
      There is more to it than that.

For example, a cable which sounds light, bright and thin (Nordost) might suit one system better than another whilst a cable like Supra, which is fat and warm would suit another. Personal taste also comes into play.
      Ah. In the olde days we didn't faf about changing cables to "tune" the system, we fiddled with the tone controls. It was far cheaper, more convenient and much more effective.

<evry big grin>

Comment

And a remote handset with tone controls saved grovelling about on the floor fiddling with those cables too. And was reversible at the press of a button (tone bypass).

Comment

Originally posted by oticus View Post
          And a remote handset with tone controls saved grovelling about on the floor . . .
          Remote control? I know what you mean, but I was thingking of the realy old days!

http://www.clarisonus.com/Archives/A...0Amplifier.pdf

Comment

This may be covered elsewhere, but what about the OFC wire in my 30th Anniversary Compact 7 ES3's?

Comment

Originally posted by Drdennis View Post
              This may be covered elsewhere, but what about the OFC wire in my 30th Anniversary Compact 7 ES3's?
              OFC lasts longer because it is less prone to corrosion. Just like the gold plated link over a standard brass link. As far as sound, you wouldn't hear any difference. However, due to the demand of customers who still insist they make a difference ( via their distributors) , Harbeth makes them if there is a market for them. If I am not mistaken, even the Super HL5 is made with the super tweeter because there's a huge demand for speakers with super tweeter, even though Alan's personal belief is that you don't really need frequencies above 16kHz for musical enjoyment. That's business. That's survival.

Dear moderator, did I get it right this time?

Comment

Originally posted by STHLS5 View Post
                . . . If I am not mistaken, even the Super HL5 is made with the super tweeter because there's a huge demand for speakers with super tweeter, even though Alan's personal belief is that you don't really need frequencies above 16kHz for musical enjoyment . . .
                Ah, I wondered what the super tweeter was included for! I didn't seem to fit the com[any philosophy.Mind you, Tannoy seem wedded to them.

Comment

We might not 'need' the super tweeter but it's output is clearly audible and it does wonderful things for the air and prescence in a good recording. Tape over it and hear the difference.

Comment

Alan here ... looks right to me.

BTW, it is an unavoidable fact in the same unavoidably factual way that my hair is now 30% white, that my upper hearing is not as extended as it was as a boy. When I was a teenager I could clearly hear the 19kHz stereo-FM carrier frequency (on headphones). Later I could just about hear the 15kHz line-scan frequency whistle of old CRT TVs. Now I'd be surprised if I can hear much above about 13kHz, and that's after a lifetime living and working in almost silence and avoiding loud music. It's a fact that as we age the top end of our hearing range diminishes. What can you do to minimise that inevitability? Don't listen to loud music. Does the restricted range mean I can't enjoy music? Not in the least because the % of music that is in those super-high harmonics is utterly negligible.
                    Alan A. Shaw
                    Designer, owner
                    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

I am confused by your post that follows Dave's, Alan. What are you saying? That a super-tweeter makes a difference, or it doesn't?

PS I have a few years on you and my hair is 70% white!

Comment

Supertweeters and age?

Originally posted by Labarum View Post
                        I am confused by your post that follows Dave's, Alan. What are you saying? That a super-tweeter makes a difference, or it doesn't?
                        I think what I'm saying is that the functionality of the super tweeter is directly linked to the hearing acuity of the listener, and that is conceivably linked to the age of the listener. So for old folk (like me?) it may not be critically important but for a listener with exceptionally extended hearing and/or half my age it could be much appreciated.

But I, at my age, wouldn't select a speaker solely because it has a super tweeter but for other reasons. If it so happenes to have a super tweeter that's a plus.
                        Alan A. Shaw
                        Designer, owner
                        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

OK, I'm an old git, far older than Alan and I can still hear that superb, Super Tweet. Either that or it's my fillings picking up RF !!!

Maybe it's my job. Listening to fine nuances of the best Hi-Fi systems for a few hours every day, might sharpen my hearing. It's definitely made me a fussy sod.

Comment

I'm 29 years old, have long brown hair ;-) and love the SHL5's super tweeter. I already gave my opinion on it in a previous post.

Sebastien

Comment

Sebastien, you're a lucky young man... somewhere around that age I formulated the Honman theory of hi-fi which was that by the time you can afford gear that does anything worthwhile beyond 15kHz, you can't hear the benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by honmanm View Post
                                Sebastien, you're a lucky young man... somewhere around that age I formulated the Honman theory of hi-fi which was that by the time you can afford gear that does anything worthwhile beyond 15kHz, you can't hear the benefits.
                                honmanm: that is very true with just about anything else in life! Cars for example! By the time a person can afford a Ferrarri (or Porsche), he/she can hardly get in and out the low chassis of the car! Its called the Human theory! There is a subsidairy theory which states that the minute a person can afford something worhtwhile, buy it! Don't wait until a day when you can no longer enjoy its benefits!

Comment

Working...
                                X