Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Cables the diameter of your finger? What about inside the amplifier?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypersonic

We have previously discussed about effects of frequencies above human hearing range. (I can't locate the thread) .I still believe they have some benefits even though it may not be readily heard and not necessarily must be heard. Alan has written somewhere here that the super tweeter helps to smooth the higher frequencies which can be perceived to be irritating.

For the past 1 week, I have added another super tweeter to SHL5 which extend to 50kHz. I cannot tell if there's any effect for now. I am looking for fatigue factor which is going to be very difficult given that Harbeths are naturally less fatiguing than other speakers.

I also believe that age is not a factor to benefit from hypersonic. But in todays world belief alone is worthless without scientific explanation.

ST

Comment

Has there been any serious research into the benefits of supertweeters?

Comment

Hearing and Perception

I have previously posted Oohashi's research under "Hearing and Perception" thread. I am unable to find the the thread. Anyway, if my memory serves me correct, I think he used special speakers/tweeter which extended to 50kHz or 100kHz. Another interesting toy that I used was Corda Analoguer to check for myself if SACD and super tweeter really of any use.. I think I should start to play with it again.

ST

Comment

Perhaps a Mod would move these super tweeter posts to a separate thread?

If a tweeter is radiating up to or above 50kHz but the source has no data above 20kHz if CD and lower for other sources, what is the tweeter outputting? Noise?

My simple mind is very confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Labarum View Post
            Perhaps a Mod would move these super tweeter posts to a separate thread?

If a tweeter is radiating up to or above 50kHz but the source has no data above 20kHz if CD and lower for other sources, what is the tweeter outputting? Noise?

My simple mind is very confused.
            No! SHL5 stops at 24kHz. Other tweeters like Murata, Tannoy and a few others goes up to 50 or 100kHz. Do you perceive any difference in SACD format? I believe the true test is long term listening. Fatigue factor.

ST

Comment

Originally posted by STHLS5 View Post
              I believe the true test is long term listening. Fatigue factor.
              That's an interesting question that probably deserves a thread all of its own... what is listening fatigue and how does one combat it... (of course the "pat" answer would be, buy a certain brand of speaker!).

After discovering the joys of an old Quad 33/303 (approx age 25) I've never been able to tolerate a fatiguing system - many times I was impressed by a system demonstrated by a dealer, but equally relieved to return home to the Quad/Sumo/small Maggie setup! The interesting thing about that rig is that the speakers were 3dB down at 18kHz... perhaps at least in my case a shortage of high treble was preferable to low-quality high treble.

To be honest, prior to the surprise enounter with Harbeths, I didn't know there was such a thing as a non-fatiguing "box" speaker... (I've subsequently discovered it's not the only one).

Comment

Originally posted by honmanm View Post
                That's an interesting question that probably deserves a thread all of its own... what is listening fatigue and how does one combat it...
                Yes, Harbeth tend less to fatigue his listener but the listener can be tired by himself. Even with a pair of Harbeth, a music to loud can fatigue the listener or an hard day at work with a lot of noise. What I've found with the SHL5 is that you can listen to low level of sound and everything stay balance.

"Cables the diameter of your finger?..." as the thread subjet. It makes me wonder about "Cables the diameter of a toothpick." for exemple an Anti-Cable speaker's cable. Anyone have try these?

Sebastien

P.s.: to moderator: I realized that some thread are close. Any reason for that? Maybe I had miss an information about that. Please refer me to the link if there is any. Thank you.

Comment

anti-cables

(sorry all, on reviewing the post it is a bit of an essay)

For the past 2 years or so I've been using anti-cables belonging to a friend who discovered that he prefers a high-capacitance cable type.

They probably have about as much copper in them as any other quality cable - I think they're 12 AWG, which oddly enough corresponds to the optimum guage from the AES paper on the cable measurement thread. They are basically enamelled transformer wire (it's debatable whether the copper is any different from standard transformer wire... that's a test for another day) and work out just a little more expensive than buying the same guage wire from the likes of Maplins / Radio Shack.

The enamel insulation is very thin (most of the super-thick cables seem to get that extra thickness from insulation not conductor).

The anti-cables seem to work well - nothing to complain about - but for the moment I'm using a greater length of smaller guage transfromer wire to allow the equipment to be moved around the room (room integration is currently my biggest problem).

We don't have an ISO standard toothpick in the house to compare with, but [correction] the anti-cable does look like it's about thhthpick diameter.

Before changing from anti-cable to the other wire - similar construction but only 60% of the cross-sectional area - they were both measured - the resistance of 2m of anti-cable is about 0.1 ohm, the longer 3.5m run of thinner transformer wire is about 0.3 ohm

With the 25W NVA amp I was a little surprised to hear a difference (note no instant changeover box involved, so very subjective) - less bass (expected) and cleaner top-end (unexpected). However on reflection this is likely to be because the combination of cable and speaker presents an easier load to the amplifier - and less bass means less power-supply distress for a small amplifier.

Now that the DIY amp is up and running, I'm keen to repeat the comparison, and expect the subjective differences to be a lot smaller... which is why Alan's switchover box looks like an interesting "next project".
                  Last edited by honmanm; 14-11-2010, 07:30 PM. Reason: correction - anti-cable diameter

Comment

Update... I've dug out the anti-cables and put them back in the system - I did one channel at a time.

I had expected that there would be little change, if any - similar cable construction and layout, different resistance but new amplifier has a very meaty power supply.

Immediately after changing the RH (long wire) channel from generic transformer wire to anti-cable there was a noticeable difference. There seemed to be more HF energy on that side, and the central image became diffuse. So thinking that the generic wire had more resistance, that speaker was moved further from the listening position - no effect.

Changed the LH channel from a shorter length of generic wire to anti-cable: no audible effect.

At this point confusion was reigning - the most likely possibility was that the contortions required to change cables had unbalanced my hearing. So the RH channel was changed back to the original wire, with the expectation that things would remain as they were, with the diffuse image. However the presentation returned to what it had been at the beginning, similar tonal balance from both speakers and a well-defined image (this is with anti-cable on LH channel and generic wire on RH channel).

Given that situation it's quite likely that the connectors on one of the anti-cables need attention. Will investigate further and (if it's not boring everyone to tears) report back.

Comment

Natural to expect changes.

With the 25W NVA amp I was a little surprised to hear a difference

I have certainly overlooked other important factors when we talk about cables and amplifiers. We need to make sure the room's influence is within acceptable level. And the amplifier's output should be adequate to meet your speakers and the volume you play.

Didin't Alan post a paper by Mr Harwood that amplifier and 100W for momentary requirement? I have to look for it again. I read it half way and thought it was important so I reserved for later reading but now can;t even remember where to look? Any help?

ST

Comment

Speaker wire: I have my Model 30's connected by audioquest Rocket 88 bi-wired. I orginally used 25 year old Fulton Brown and the focus and detail of the current wire was a real upgrade to my speakers. My dealer let me try about 8 different wires and the Rocket 88 in single wire and bi-wired confirguration. He thought the bi-wiring locked the speaker because it got around the stock jumper.

Comment

Working...
                        X