Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

The truth about high-resolution audio compared with std. CD 44k?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blocking cellphones in-class

Originally posted by jplaurel View Post
    It turns out that the kids didn't turn their ringers off at all. They merely switched to high frequency ringtones above the threshold of the teachers' hearing. A very simple and clever solution.
    I think the teacher needs to acquire one of these ;-)

Comment

No hum

I inherited eleven year old Soundsticks from my daughters college system. After sitting in storage for several years, I connected them to my new Mac Mini ('10). They are amazing for very near field listening. There is no hum whatsoever. I have considered upgrading to separate amp and DAC with P3's. The cost would be about $4,000, so for now I will listen to this surprising system. Perhaps, Harbeth could improve on a compact desktop system. I'm sure that this is potentially a huge market.

My main system;

Compact 7ES3
      REL B3
      LFD MK IV
      SONY CDP 5400ES, VSE mods
      Shunyata PC, Cardas cables

Comment

Originally posted by Drdennis View Post
        I inherited eleven year old Soundsticks from my daughters college system...
        Are they active i.e. mains powered?

The hum in these (active) pc speakers comes from the internal mains power supply and/or the transformer causing the plastic case to vibrate.

Comment

Soundsticks - outboard PSU

Soundsticks have an outboard power supply connected to mains.

Comment

Hummmmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by jplaurel View Post
            {Moderator's comment: did they like most PC speakers emit a constant hummmmmmmm?}
            No, they did not. The newer "Soundsticks II" version, however, are a step backward. They no longer have the integrated DAC. Instead, you plug a 2.5mm stereo mini jack into your sound card. And they do hummmmmm.

Comment

I have a few 24/96 (flac) albums I've down loaded from the Linn site. Realistically, I think it has more to do with the better mastering of these albums, than bit depth. I have many Redbook CD's that sound phenominal--so I know the potential is there. I haven't tried it, but my gut feeling is that if you downloaded the same album in both 16/44 and 24/96 (assuming good mastering), you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference.

Comment

Relevance of high res audio

Reviving this old but ever so relevant thread, I came across this article on the irrelevance or even disadvantages of Hi Res audio: https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

Useless comparisons

A good article I think, for me audio resolutions is about the same as megapixels with camera's. In most cases it will tell you nothing about the quality of the recording..

Bothering about 16/44 or 24/96 is like judging the same Merlot in the same glass, the second sip is always different.

Comment

Working...
                  X