Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

what CDP are you using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what CDP are you using?

I don't want to send a thread about loudspeakers off track, but I feel that I can trust people who like Harbeths with advice about other equipment.

First, I'm currently using a Quad CD- 2for CDs with an Oppo 980 for video and the very few SACDs I have. The Oppo playing SACDs doesn't seem to me to be much better than the same discs on CD through the Quad. (I prefer vinyl, but that's another story).

I need to rationalize my equipment and was wondering whether the Oppo with one of the current inexpensive DACs ({-}Dac, Cambridge Audio DAC-Magic, or the Beresford Caiman) would be acceptable. I have a very tight budget.

Thanks,

David

Comment

David

I have a Quad 77 CD Player I have not used in quite a while.

My CDs have been ripped to FLAC and I stream via a Squeezebox.

I use a Beresford Caiman to receive S/PDIF from the Squeezebox, the TV and Sat or Cable TV Box. The Caiman connects via USB to my Windows 7 Laptop, if I want do do it that way.

The Caiman is in a different class to the ageing Quad 77 player. The Oppo will be limited by it's internal DAC, as is the Quad CDP.

My Quad 77 FM Tuner is also silent - I stream hibit internet radio through the Squeezebox or from Free-view.

I no longer have need for any analogue input - no LPs and no Tapes. Not for many years, so the Caiman is my "Preamp" driving a refurbished Quad 405-2 directly.

I have other plans for my Quad 77 Integrated Amp, but I will sell the CDP and Tuner.

You have missed a very competent DAC is the same price bracket as the Caiman

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bmc-2.asp

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-...Controller/BAB

There is much discussion on the Caiman here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Search for keywords on the forum.

Ask more if you choose.

Comment

PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport with a Bel Canto DAC3 using the Virtual Battery Supply VBS1.
        The transport can not only play CDs but also hi-res music data discs (up to 24/192 PCM)

David

Comment

I'm using and enjoying very much the McIntosh MCD-500 SACD/CD player...but the newest Luxman players have my attention and I may be moving on.

Comment

I'm just warming up a Luxman D-06 with my 1 week old amp. In combination with a C7ES-3 I am happy!

My ex-CD player is a {-} CD and is in perfect working condition. Another item I can happily handover to my nephew. He's in training to become another music lover. He already has composed a tune all on his own and is constantly playing in my head.
            Last edited by A.S.; 23-09-2012, 09:33 AM. Reason: Additional info and bad English

Comment

Originally posted by do_Ob View Post
              My ex-CD player is a {-} CD and is in perfect working condition. Another item I can happily handover to my nephew. He's in training to become another music lover. He already has composed a tune all on his own and is constantly playing in my head.
              Yes," Harbeth lover" in the making. My son is now learning to play acoustic guitar. Now, he has 2 of them. He said, dad please don't sell the SHL5. I will buy it from you when I'm already working. He is now only 18 yrs young and still schooling.

Comment

I have Sugden CDMaster. This will be replaced with the Naim CD5X within the next few days.

Comment

I am using my SHL5 with Meridian G08.2 ,,,,,

Comment

I use a Marantz CD16 (the other components are Dynaco Pas3x and Dynaco ST70 II) with my compact 7 ES2. The sound (for me) seems analog with many details.
                    Luca.

Comment

EERA DL1, very happy with it. Compared it with the Naim CDX2 before buying and even with the external PS of Naim i preferred the DL1 and bought it

Comment

Originally posted by Yakamozan View Post
                        EERA DL1, very happy with it. Compared it with the Naim CDX2 before buying and even with the external PS of Naim i preferred the DL1 and bought it
                        Hi Yamakozan, may I know if you have owned Naim amps before since you have the CDX2? Do you still have the CDX2? Reason of asking is I am looking at this player. Naim CD players need to match Naim amps to have the full Naim effect.

Comment

Originally posted by ryder View Post
                          Hi Yamakozan, may I know if you have owned Naim amps before since you have the CDX2? Do you still have the CDX2? Reason of asking is I am looking at this player. Naim CD players need to match Naim amps to have the full Naim effect.
                          Hi Ryder,

I respectfully disagree with your above statement. Sold my Naim amp and now using Exposure with Naim CDS2.

Best regards

Comment

Hi Sunshine,

If you hadn't noticed, I didn't say Naim CD players don't sound good with other amps. May I ask which model of Naim amp that has been replaced with the Exposure, and which Exposure are you using right now?

Comment

Am running a Marantz SA-11S2 in my system with Blue Circle pre/power and Harbeth Monitor 30's.

Comment

I am using a PrimaLuna Prologue 8 tube CD player with the upgraded chip. I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X