Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

what CDP are you using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use the Nad M5.

Comment

I use the Copland CDA-277 as the basic player and a SONY NS-900-V

Comment

A lovely old (but in perfect!) Meridan 500 Mk II Transport running into a Naim DAC. To complete the picture, the DAC runs into a DNM 3C Six pre amp and DNM PA2B monoblocs into my P3ESRs...wonderful in every way!

Comment

Bodfish, seriously nice system. Enjoy!

John

Comment

I'm using a recently bought Rega Apollo.

Geoff.

Comment

hi,

i am using accuphase 800/801 cd-sacd player on my harbeth m40.1. for me simply the best.
              Harbeth M40.1-Naim NAC52-Supercap-NAP 135-CDS2-XPS

Comment

I'm using a Cambridge Azur 840C. I really appreciate it. A great cost/quality value.

Sebastien

Comment

im a CEC junkie 3300 and tl51xr
                  Attached Files

Comment

Arcam Alpha (original type, about 20 years old), with a few component substitutions & improved power rail decoupling on the DAC board. There are plenty of better CD players, but maybe not for around 30.

Comment

That post brought a smile to my face! My first ‘proper’ CD player was an Arcam Alpha 1. Their amps were excellent value. It was royally shown up by the Linn turntable I had at the time, but was a fraction of the cost and held its own considering s! I bought a Linn Ikemi after the Arcam which was very nice indeed. This can be purchased used for very little nowadays . In fact, the performance jump between the Ikemi and the machine which replaced it, the Linn Unidisk 1.1, certainly didn’t justify the massive difference in price, in retrospect.

Comment

My first, after i could afford one, was a NAD 5440. It made nice music. Requiring a badly needed lobotomy at the time, I opened it, dismantled everything I could with a screwdriver and put blu-tak between any surface which met another. It didn’t survive a fedex journey down under though.

Comment

Arcam, NaimUniti

My first serious player was the Arcam 5 Plus (wow, what a wonderful CDP), then a Quad 77 and now a NaimUniti (essentially a Naim 5i). Honestly, I spend more time listening to streamed music (CDs are ripped and stored in computer) which is so much simpler and convenient! I can run through my 200 CD collection with a touch of the button!

Comment

Marantz SA15S1

A Marantz SA15S1 CD/SACD (2 channel). On the plus side, the advantages of Super Audio over Red Book can easily be distinguished. On the minus side, the player is not as 'peppy' as some players I've heard. Still, the Marantz makes for a nice non fatiguing player.

Comment

Arcam players seem to be most peoples starting point and I am still using my Alpha6 but as a transport, feeding the D/A in my Bryston preamp.
                              I was thinking of getting a Blueray player which will play just about everything including CDs and SACDs. Does anyone else use a DVD / Blueray player for audio?
                              I'm also considering a SONOS setup.
                              Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Comment

PrimaLuna Prologue 8 with the upgraded chipset. Also, sits on Stillpoints, HiFi Tuning fuse, Cardas Golden Reference power cord, and I'm getting ready to try some tube rolling! (C7ES-3 and REL B3)

Comment

Working...
                                X