Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

what CDP are you using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. I too have a a Squeezebox Classic. It feeds a Beresford Caiman DAC and drives either a Quad 77 Integrated amp or a Quad 405-2, depending whether I am in UK or Cyprus. The Squeezebox and DAC travel with me, as does the Windows 7 Laptop which acts as server. Fine results.

My 77 CDP still works, as does my 77 FM Tuner, but I don't use them. Playing FLACs or Internet Radio through the Squeezebox and Caiman beats them by a significant margin.

The BBC Radio 3 HD stream at 320kb/s off the Squeezebox using the iPlayer Plugin is superb.

Comment

I am intreagued by streaming music. Excuse my ignorance, but what is an NAS? And when streaming music using a Squeezebox, is broadband bandwidth an issue? Thanks in advance for info.

Ben
      Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

NAS = Network Attached Storage. Usually a hard rive in its own box accessible to any computer on the (home) network. Broadband speed and bandwidth could be an issue when streaming internet radio straight of the internet, but most broadband connections will do it. It is less demanding than streaming video from the likes of BBC iPlayer.

When streaming content from a device on your own network Broadband speed and bandwidth is not an issue: it is not used.

Squeezebox is just one possible system for streaming.

In UK look at http://www.ripcaster.co.uk/, though you should always look around for the best prices.

Comment

BAS-H,

if you're considering streaming and SqueezeBox there are some extras that greatly improve it's overall performance:
          - Paul Hynes Power Supply (already mentioned by denjo)
          - Paul Hynes Shunt Stunt Regulator for regulation of power to 74HCU04 chip
          - cutting out SMD inductors, terminate to 75 Ohm
          - replacing RCA with BNC connector

Those are modifications which were made on my SB and they significantly improved performance.

Total cost - around 350 GBP (without SB )

Comment

350GBP! For rather less than that you can use an external DAC. A standard Squeezebox will stream bit perfectly to a DAC via its optical output, so there is no point in upgrading digital streaming part of the box. The internal DAC is good but not great.

I use a Beresford Caiman - just one of many modestly priced DACs

http://www.beresford.me/main/main.html

It will directly drive a power amp, gives you digital source switching and a simple analogue volume control.

---

The Squeezebox Classic is now only available second hand now. The Duet and the Touch are now on sale. I have heard it said the touch has a much better DAC - but it's 250GBP.

Read up on the Squeezebox forum

http://forums.slimdevices.com/

Comment

Labarum,

I do use external DAC - it's a Matrix DAC by Synthesis (not Synthesis Audio).
              (Review at: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-710169/review)

I also have a Beresford DAC (not the Cayman but the first edition) at home but after initial wow effect I only found out it's really excellent value for the money but still can't quite compare with "big guns" on the market. So now I'm using it in my bedroom system with SB duetto, KamaBay amp and Shahinian Super Elf speakers.

But if someone is only starting or experimenting with streaming audio devices like SB, Beresford DAC is (in my opinion) choice No. 1.
              Attached Files

Comment

For those who are just starting their journey in Computer Audio,you will find this link very helpful:

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/assets/dCS_G...uter_Audio.pdf

I learnt much from reading and re-reading the dcs primer.

Comment

Many thanks Labarum, blazh and denjo, much appreciated.
                  Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

I'm using the 'new' Quad Elite CDS since a few days. It's a huge upgrade from my 12 year old Denon DCD-1550. A lot of detail and a more open sound compared with the Denon (20 bit Lambda). I'm really very happy with the sound of the Quad Elite CDS > Passive Creek OBH-12 > Quad 306 (new components) > C7ES3 combination. Very natural and balanced.

Comment

Marantz CD 17ki - Marantz PM 14mkii ki - Harbeth HL5LE
                      Lyngdorf CD 1 - Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 - Harbeth M40

Both excellent chains that don't need any upgrade!

Comment

No CDP anymore, but streaming audio, first with XBMC, later SB3 and separate {-}DAC, and since almost 3 years a Linn Akurate DS.

Comment

Meridian 508.24 coming out of SHL5s. Fits like a glove for me. I dread the day it keels over. *gulp*

Comment

What CDP are you using

A couple of years ago I was using a Cyrus CD6 which was really nice. Then, thinking that I would use my iPod(and Wadia 170 iTransport)for music a lot more than I would, I invested in a Weiss DAC2. Absolutely outstanding with the iPod but unfortunately not at all compatible with the Cyrus. So now a conundrum. I really wanted to use the Weiss with a CD player. I chopped the Cyrus in and went for a 47Labs 4716 Transport. With top quality CD's this was a superb combination but I found with anything less it was just 'good'. With such a good CD player I also found I wasn't using my iPod so I took what was to me a big leap, got rid of the 47Labs and the Weiss and went for the Audio Research CD5. Just in case I should wish to use the iPod I also bought a Project DAC Box FL. I'm using the CD5 with an Audio Research VSi60 amplifier and a beautiful pair of SHL5's. Thoroughly enjoying the ride so far.......
                            Regards,

GoldVit

Comment

I just wonder about Sugden CD players, the Amps usually get very good reviews, but when it comes to their CD:s it is impossible to find a review at all (at least I have not found one) Surely they can not be that bad if their amps get such good reviews. I suppose some of you out there uses Sugden CPP:s. What about the CD21SE since I have the A21SE.

Comment

just added a Marantz SA11S2 to my setup. Gosh, can't forgive myself for not getting a new CDP sooner. I have lost so much detail with the old CD63KI, CD8260, ...

Garbage in Garbage out? The SA11S2 have dug out so many details out of the Compact Disc media that made me dumb-founded.

with the new addition, My Harbeth speakers deliver performance that is ' better than ever...'

Comment

Working...
                                X