Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

what CDP are you using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audible Differences Among CDPs?

Do those on the HUG who believe that expensive cables do not produce an audible difference in the sound also believe the same about expensive CD players? I have a 1985ish Nakamichi Cd player, solid as a rock, but if I knew, speaking of solid, that there was solid evidence that a new CDP would produce an audible improvement in the sound -- in detail, reproduction of the highs, whatever -- then I might consider making a switch. But my skeptical side tells me, that apart from workmanship and reliability, CD players cannot be distinguished, reliably, even by golden ears.

Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce. I'm objective and skeptical. I do not believe in expensive cables and can't tell them apart during demos. But CD players are different - some better or worse; others just different in character. My upgrade from Arcam Delta 70.2 to Arcam CD37 was almost as significant as swapping my speakers to Harbeth. I demoed three players around the £1K mark in my local shop and would have been confident telling them apart, double-blind.

(Same with amps. Some better or worse; some just different. Cables, stands, isolaters, mains cords, power conditioners - nah, you can keep 'em).
      Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

I've been lectured to on a couple of occasions by highly respected engineers who assured me that 'all CD players sound the same'. Also ' there can't be a difference as they are only counting digits, so they must be perfect'.

On both occasions it was only a matter of demo'ing two players side by side for a minute or two for them to take back their words. One of them also then bought a very expensive player from me.

It doesn't necessarily follow that a more expensive player is better though. There are some horrors and some excellent reasonably priced players. Also, that Nakamichi player might well still stnad up fpr itself. Best bet is to take it for a comparative demo to your dealer. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

I use the NAIM cd5i mark 2 much to my satisfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler View Post
            Do those on the HUG who believe that expensive cables do not produce an audible difference in the sound also believe the same about expensive CD players? I have a 1985ish Nakamichi Cd player, solid as a rock, but if I knew, speaking of solid, that there was solid evidence that a new CDP would produce an audible improvement in the sound -- in detail, reproduction of the highs, whatever -- then I might consider making a switch. But my skeptical side tells me, that apart from workmanship and reliability, CD players cannot be distinguished, reliably, even by golden ears.

Bruce
            Bruce, it could be your Nakamichi that is a great performer. Prior to the CDP purchase, i am skeptical toward CDP as Hifi Dave said. the famour quote " all CD player sound the same" but the Maranta SA11S2 changed my perception. nobody could convince me until i brought it home and hook it up.

Actually i was about to change a amplifier and even the speaker, by good fortune, I decided to bet 3 Grand on a CDP. Long story cut short, bring / demo a Marantz SA11S2 home and tell us what you hear (I am not affiliated with Marantz )

however i stand corrected on the changing of cables that it proves futile in performance

Comment

Marantz SA11S2 Vs Quad Vs Theta Gen III

Just last Friday, Sam our local distributor brought over his Quad player to show how musical it was compared to my Marantz SA11S2. He brought 2 sets of CDs to do simultaneous switching for a quick AB test.

We agreed that SA11S2 output gain was a lot higher than Quad's and therefore, it was pointless to perform a quick switch overs. Then Sam suggested that I listen to both players to find out which one was better. I gave up after several minutes but I asked if he could positively identify his Quad just by listening? He said he could and we agreed a total of 10 trials of the same track, i.e Gütesloher Glocken of Musik Von Einem Anderen Stern. Sam is very familiar with this track as he uses them to demo the Harbeths.

After the 5th trial, he stopped because he couldn't concentrate any longer. So we have only the results for 5 trials as follows,

Actual Sam
              1. Quad SA11S2
              2. SA11S2 SA11S2
              3. SA11S2 SA11S2
              4. SA11S2 Quad
              5. Quad SA11S2

You be the judge.

ST

p.s Previously, we did the same "tests" for Theta Gen III and SA11S2 and we couldn't tell them apart. Theta's gain is much higher than SA11S2.

p.p.s We are still friends.

Comment

Former OPPO BDP83, now running an Arcam BDP100.....seems to be a better match for my needs so far at this price point with the LFD Mk IV and C7. Have not yet heard an OPPO BDP95 to compare.

Comment

I'm now using Ayon Audio CD5s. Opens new "window" in my listening expriences..

Comment

I am currently using a PrimaLuna Prologue 8 CDP. Yesterday I shipped a SONY 5400ES player to Music Technology for VSE mods. I have a few SACD's that I have played on my second systems OPPO 83SE Nuforce Edition, and I would like to play them on my primary system(C7's). I'll report on the SONY when it returns in about four weeks.

Comment

Luxman D 05 here with an Auraliti music server. Nice to have both SACD, CD and streaming. Only problem is no streaming radio. Will fix that soon.

Comment

Budget universal for now...but then what?

Having sold my expensive Nagra CDC CD player, I'm using a budget Cambridge Audio BD650 universal player for now. It plays CD with HDCD, SACD, DVD-A/V and BD. So I'm fully covered while a consider the next upgrade. (I may go back to a 2 channel SACD player with digital input for the Meridian streamer mentioned below...)

I'm really not sure what to do about my digital source. I'm very tempted by the Meridian Media Core 200 which is a small unit containing a 500Gb HDD, streaming player and both analogue and digital outputs. It uses the Sooloos interface, accessable with an iPhone/iPad app, and is really neat and intuitive to use. I tried it out at the Bristol Show this year, where I met AS. Did you see the Meridian stand Alan?

(I might add that often I use the BD650 as a transport into a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic connected together by a £1 optical cable - it sounds great and cured my mains hum problems!)
                        Last edited by GregD; 05-05-2011, 06:40 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

GregD/Macroaudio: How do you find using a Universal Player as a substitute for a cd player? Do you fin you can reach the same quality when using an expensive BD player versus a cheaper CD player?

Comment

I own an Audionet Art G2, it replaced an Ear Acute when I moved from Pass to Leben. I didn't want to add jam on my peanut buttered toast.

Comment

Funny thing

Originally posted by STHLS5 View Post
                              Just last Friday, Sam our local distributor brought over his Quad player to show how musical it was compared to my Marantz SA11S2. He brought 2 sets of CDs to do simultaneous switching for a quick AB test.

So we have only the results for 5 trials as follows,

Actual Sam
                              1. Quad SA11S2
                              2. SA11S2 SA11S2
                              3. SA11S2 SA11S2
                              4. SA11S2 Quad
                              5. Quad SA11S2
                              That's funny. If I'm right, he never recognized his Quad player?! But he does 2 times for the Marantz...

Sébastien

Comment

None. I rip everything into a Glyph external firewired to a Mac Mini. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X