Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

what CDP are you using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what CDP are you using?

Hi

Which is the favourite CDP that you are using or have used? can share with us?

leave those TT, servers, tuner aside for the time being

Re: what CDP are you using?

Originally posted by coredump View Post
    Hi

Which is the favourite CDP that you are using or have used? can share with us?

leave those TT, servers, tuner aside for the time being

Hi,

I'm using a Meridian 507 since 2003 without a single problem. No XLR conns, but I belong to those who doubt their so widely proclaimed superiority, especially against quality RCAs. My amp also (McIntosh MA 6500) doesn't provide such conns, so no thinking about it. A very nice and neutral all rounder, also matching very well indeed with warm & sweet sounding amps - IMHO of course. It didn't cost a fortune, anyhow I don't believe in skyhigh priced cdp's, I'd rather pay a good sum for a fine vinyl system... (which I -thanks God- already have).
    I also run a Yamaha CDR1500-HDD, which is very heavy and enough complicated, but does perform very well (especially in record/write mode), although a bit noisy while the the HDD works. For the money, it's a damn good machine!

Comment

I have been using Naim CD5x for some years now and recently added a Flatcap2x power supply with great results. It has been and still is an absolutely "honest" reference source with all Harbeth models and all kinds of music I have bought these years.

Comment

Sugden Masterclass CDP - The most natural sounding digital source I?ve heard. Inexpensive too.

Comment

Meridian 508.24 cd player.

I want a Sugden Masterclass at some point.

Also listen to Radio 3 on my Audiolab tuner - very good indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by nicedoc441 View Post
            Meridian 508.24 cd player.

I want a Sugden Masterclass at some point.

Also listen to Radio 3 on my Audiolab tuner - very good indeed!
            Ooo ? live recitals from Radio 3 are stunning on a nice tuner ? good work!

Comment

Opera Consonance CD120 Linear.

Smooth player

Comment

Naim CD5X w/Flatcap 2X. Very nice sounding.

Comment

Marantz CD17mkIII, Marantz CD6000KI and a Modded Lite Tube Dac 50.
                  "Bath with Music"

Comment

YBA CD1 in the double external power supply version: extremely transparent, precise, neutral and dynamic, yet with texture, body , fabulous tonality... liquid, delicate, refined. Great soundstaging and imaging, too.

I also have an EAR Acute with nos siemens valves: very close to the YBA in everything if not quite as transparent and with the same clarity.

Some "vintage" cdp's sound very good and will last (YBA's, Meridian 506, 507, 508, Revox 226, Teac VRDP 10 ...) because the mechanical part was much better and there was a greater choice of chips available, allowing to take the signal right after conversion and customize it.
                    Today's most expensive CDP's use cheap cdrom heads or the only still made for audio (Philips PRO2) which is still a far cry from the best made 20 years ago. And most chips are an all inclusive package.

Harbeth's - in my case M40.1's - are very balanced and work well with a lot of different electronics, including CDP's.

Comment

Bryston BCD-1. Wow.

Comment

Luxman DU 80 - Very Nice Indeed !

Audio Note AN-2 - Restores faith in digital.

Pentagon CD 70- Made in Germany

Sony CDPC 505- Makes me wish I was deaf. Hateful in every way.

Comment

No CDP. Streaming music with Linn Majik DS-I.

Comment

A CD player? So 20th century!

A MacBook, Bel Canto 24/96 USB-Link, and mhdt Havana DAC. Sounds great.

Comment

Currently: Macbook Pro - M2Tech Hiface - Naim DAC &
                              Cambridge 650BD - Naim DAC

Previously...

Macbook Pro - Weiss DAC2

Slim Devices Transporter

Naim CD5X

Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 + Lavry DA10
                              Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 + Beresford DAC
                              Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 + Benchmark DAC1

Comment

Working...
                              X