Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

A Media PC with internal power amps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Media PC with internal power amps

Here is an interesting product

http://www.slashgear.com/onkyo-hd-au...ifier-1510289/

On board 100w amps. More than enough to drive a pair of Harbeths.

Quality unknown. Price unknown. Does anyone know?

I think the combination is wrong. A PC typically obsoletes in 4-5 years. An amplifier usually last at least 10 years - unless the amplifier is really crappy.

Comment

Not thought of that - depends on price, though.

In UK HiFi market has higher profit margins than PC market, so it might still be a good deal - depending on quality.

Comment

Seeing that it is from Onkyo - I believe that the amplifier is of decent quality. But it is a wrong combination nevertheless.

Currently I am using Denon Mk37 mini hifi, which delivers 30W per channel to drive a pair of P3ES2 in my bedroom. The electronics is very cheap, but I am satisfied with the sound. I believe that Japanese company like Onkyo and Denon will not produce any 'bad' electronics no matter how cheap the system is.

Speakers is another matter. My P3ES2 ended in my bedroom because the speakers that came with the MK37 is simply not up to standard. But it is cheap though...

Comment

A decent power amp should run at least 20 years, at least that's what the chap that made mine said!

Also, not sure about Vista? I've heard too many horror stories...

Comment

Vista is OK. Windows 7 is much better.

Comment

Looks like something for the Japanese market. If you have time you could try browsing bic camera (can be translated) or rakuten (English).

Or if you have a pc lying about, and you would like to amp it, you can put in Sonic Impact Technologies’ (of the small t amp fame) card amp into an empty PCI slot. It’s a Tripath kicking out most likely 15W.

80 bucks…you couldn’t go wrong

http://www.si5.com/products.php?pID=4038

probably good if you had a pair of spare speakers lying around, the one the harbeth replaced, ;-)

Comment

Just because a thing can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

If you don't particularly care about quality, there are many self-powered speakers (some of which are actually very good) that will let you change/upgrade your PC when needed without losing your amplification. This seems like a better option. (The Tripath option makes sense too.)

If you do care about quality, you're not going to want a power amp inside your PC.

So what's the point?

Comment

Nvidia or Tesla processor ....

You can use this nvidia processor. The Tesla processor is 250 times faster than any other processor on the market today: http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_c...solutions.html
                  For a sound card you can use a Auzentech with that can be tuned via replaceable front (L/R) Operational Amplifier (OPAMP).
                  : http://www.auzentech.com/site/produc...theater_hd.php
                  For the case you can use this one: http://www.origenae.co.kr/en/htpc_s21t.htm
                  or a fanless one like this: http://atechfabrication.com/products/HeatSync_7000.htm
                  all the rest is up to you but this way you will have a computer that will last more than th 5 years you mentioned
                  regards

Comment

Soundcard with HDMI input

Thank you SiloCar for the tip on the Soundcard. It is very unusual, if not rare to have an HDMI input. Just the type of card Iíve been looking for but unfortunately wonít fit into my current case as its full height. Looks like it will produce some decent sound!

Comment

Working...
                    X