Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

DAC suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAC suggestions

Hi all,

Got my SHL5s not too long ago and I'm very pleased with them indeed. Now looking to get a good DAC and would really appreciate the input of fellow harbeth fans which ones I should look to audition. I listen to all types of music and my main criteria is the musicality of it. I first and foremost want to enjoy my music, so I wont sacrifice coherence for detail etc.

Feel free to give suggestions up to about $5000.

Signal chain: Macbook - Kimber BBUS AG - DAC?? - Luxman 505u - Kimber Timre - SHL5.

Input greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Per

The new Rega DAC has been well received and is very affordable at 1/5 of your budget. You may also want to upgrade from the Kimbre Timbre as well. The Kimbre Hero will give you considerable improvement.

Comment

As above. The Rega DAC sees off many very expensive DACS. Try also the Naim DAC, which is very good indeed.

Comment

The Beresford Caiman punches well above its weight.

http://www.beresford.me/main/main.html

Buy it with the Gaitor pgrade.

From the world of Pro Audio look at

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bmc-2.asp

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipmen...troller--63517

Comment

DAC suggestions

I have a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. Reputedly the best option below 1000. Sounds like the new Rega could be a challenger though!

If you can get hold of one (they seem to be US-only?) Havana Labs MDHT tube DAC is a well-regarded option and very musical, but only 16/44.1. Above that price are the Wavelength Audio tube DACs that can do upto 24/192 if you're inclined...

Comment

Thank you for your input.

Art K: Thanks for the rega and cable advice. However I see things was written a little hastily on my part - I apologise - but I have kimber 8tc for my speakers, timbre is the interconnects from my current loaner DAC. Missed one out and ordered them incorrectly...

Labarum: I'll have to look Beresford DACs and your other links as I know nothing about them. I only glimpsed at the Beresford link and they seemed extremely competetively priced - do you think they can compete with the likes of naim dac for instance once upgraded?

hifi_dave: recommending both - what would you say is the strength of the rega vs the naim and vice versa? Apart form the obvious price advantage of the quite inexpensive rega dac (looks like it's around 550GBP in Sweden)?

Comment

GregD: Thanks. I've heard the DacMagic, not in my own system though but it seems a competent DAC for the money. Havana Labs may not be available as you say. Know little about them but haven't seen them around for as long as I've been DAC-hunting at least. Wavelength - heard good things about these dacs - have you heard any of them? If so - which one+would you care to briefly describe its sound signature? I'd really appreciate it.

cheers

Comment

The Bereford DAC has quite a following here

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

It is a product in continuous development through a dialogue between users and maker.

Stan Beresford will offer you your money back if yo don't think the DAC makes a worthwhile improvement.

The BMC-2 is a professional audio product. No nonsense, just a fine product.

Nether of these products has remote control volume or source switching.

In the HiFi market you can end up paying a big premium for a name and a smart case. With DACs this is especially so. Most of the work is done in the main chip. Provided the supporting circuitry is competent the same chip sounds the same.

Going up market, look at the first two products in the left frame on this page

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/

or the basic model DAC-1

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac/dac1

Domestic DACs from a Pro Audio manufacturer.

Comment

I own a Benchmark DAC1 USB that I use with my nearfield system. As this DAC is going to move to my video edit workstation soon, I've been looking for a new DAC as well.

Right now, the hot value in the DAC market seems to be the Wyred4Sound DAC2:
                  http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/s..._groupid=18157

Originally posted by Labarum View Post
                  Going up market, look at the first two products in the left frame on this page

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/

Domestic DACs from a Pro Audio manufacturer.

Comment

I recommend that you give the Bel Canto DACs an audition - see HUG thread here:
                    http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...1828#post11828
                    The DAC3 with VBS has now been replaced by the DAC3.5.
                    You might find some of the other suggestions in the above thread useful.
                    David

Comment

I use the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC in my Naim system driving my Harbeth P3ESRs and have found the results to be very satisfying. It's definitely worth considering. The more expensive option would be the Naim DAC which I've not heard but is supposed to be excellent.

Comment

Wavelength tube DAC

Originally posted by megamonkey View Post
                        GregD: Thanks. I've heard the DacMagic, not in my own system though but it seems a competent DAC for the money. Havana Labs may not be available as you say. Know little about them but haven't seen them around for as long as I've been DAC-hunting at least. Wavelength - heard good things about these dacs - have you heard any of them? If so - which one+would you care to briefly describe its sound signature? I'd really appreciate it.

cheers
                        Here is a link to the Wavelength site: http://www.usbdacs.com/Products/Products.html

(I hope that worked!)

There are many options available for them and even NOS tubes. Stereophile rates them class A in the past. Unfortunately I have not heard them. Just a thought, have you considered Weiss DACs? Pricey and with a professional background but again very well-regarded near your $5000 budget.

Comment

Labarum: beresford seems interesting on account of it’s affordability, and if I can return it I guess you cant go wrong really. Only I’m in Sweden and it’s painstaking to send things back and forth just to audition. Recently did just that with a dac. If I don’t find anything soon Beresford might be a good start/interim costwise.

I’ve had mixed reviews of the benchmark. Maybe this is always the case with audio components but I’ve heard a few things that has put me off them as a main contender.

jplaurel: Have you heard the W4S DAC2 - whats your verdict?

singslingr: yeah have heard good things about both M1 and naim but heard neither myself. Sent a request to audition the naim.

GregD: Wavelength is definitely a contender. Haven’t found anyone willing to let me audition it though – makes it difficult…

Comment

You have a Rega distributor in Sweden, so why not try that. It has been very popular over here.

Comment

Originally posted by megamonkey View Post
                              Labarum: beresford seems interesting on account of it’s affordability, and if I can return it I guess you cant go wrong really. Only I’m in Sweden and it’s painstaking to send things back and forth just to audition. Recently did just that with a dac. If I don’t find anything soon Beresford might be a good start/interim costwise.
                              Sign up to http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/ and make a few posts. If you order by Private Message (PM) Stan may give you a discount. If you want a Caiman with the Gator Board pre-installed, you will have to do it that way. Stan sends stuff all over the world, so you won't have problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X