Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Computer sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer sound

Hi
    This is my first posting. I can't find anything on this already.

I have just got some monitor 20 speakers for my desk top system. I mostly like classical and analogue and am useing a Nakamichi Amplifier One and a Nakamichi LX-5 cassette deck.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for how to raise the speakers to ear height as I have found this is important. My main speakers are floor standers and I know nothing about stands. Should I buy stands and move the speakers off my desk or will raising them be as good and if so how?

Also I like to listen to Live Jazz on U tube and use windows media player. At present I have connected the 3.5 mm jack from the computer into the amp. I am wondering if getting a dac would help? If so do I need a special one for a computer or is any ok? If a dac is the way to go does anyone have a recomendation? Nothing expensive please as I just bought the speakers and am now saving for some new c7 s for my main system. I am thinking second hand on Ebay.

Any advice apreciated
    Cheers
    Marc

Re: Computer sound

A speaker stands is a must. get a 28" stand. try solid steel filled with atabites.

now, I am also hooking up my laptop to the Amplifier using a USB DAC. Different DAC gives different result. The Bard Audio wireless DAC gives the best result but it requires Line Of Sight which is a pain.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=9119
    http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/bes...nd-dac-361939/

some monitor 20? u mean u brought a few pair??

Comment

Thanks for that.
      Hmm Computer dacs are different from hi fi dacs? How about if i use the spdif output on my laptop?
      If I take the monitor 20s off the desk the stands would need to be about 39 inches high or about 11 if i keep them on the desk.
      No I only have the one pair. I use some to refer to a pair. Also its hard to show the plural as "20s" sounds like a model designation not a plural. Perhaps I will have to learn hifi grammar as well as learing about hi fi.
      Cheers
      Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Hedge View Post
        Thanks for that.
        Hmm Computer dacs are different from hi fi dacs? How about if i use the spdif output on my laptop?
        If I take the monitor 20s off the desk the stands would need to be about 39 inches high or about 11 if i keep them on the desk.
        No I only have the one pair. I use some to refer to a pair. Also its hard to show the plural as "20s" sounds like a model designation not a plural. Perhaps I will have to learn hifi grammar as well as learing about hi fi.
        Cheers
        Marc
        Hi, these DAC are practically the same as those use in HiFi setup; with a additional USB input. Currently, I using a Musiland DAC, with both CDP and laptop connected to the external DAC. I am still trying out the various USB DAC; going to get a Firestone Fubar II DAC soon.

http://www.sonneteer.demon.co.uk/bardusb.htm
        http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews...teer/bard.html

As for your required height, 39inches, you might want to try wall mount bracket.

Comment

Thanks for that.
          I can't use wall brackets as they are against a wall I soundproofed extensively with an airgap and 3 sound deadening materials for the different frequenciess and hanging brackets would defeat its purpose.
          I have just got some oldAtacam 724 stands which I will put on blocks to bring up to ear level.
          I don't like the look of tube like stands. These go ok with the monitor 20. But i don't like the colour and want to spray them to match. Hope to find the monitor 20 colour code, anyone?
          Do you think a DAC will make a significat improvement?
          Regards M

Comment

Marc:

A DAC will make a considerable improvement, no doubt about it.

An inexpensive, simple and good-sounding solution is the devilsound DAC. The Music Streamer + is similar in concept and is also supposed to be very good. For a bit more coin, the mhdt DACs are superb. The Beresford 7520 gets very good reviews and is inexpensive.

Good luck.

Eric

Comment

Working...
            X