Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

It's about the music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's about the music

Less time on forums ruminating about gear, more time listening to music.

Life is short!

3 more for young & old:

Little Feat - "Dixie Chicken"

Pink Martini - "Hang on Little Tomato"

Squirrel Nut Zippers - "Perennial Favorites"

Re: It's about the music

"Dixie Chicken" is ... well, it's a great album, perhaps Little Feat's best. The title track is also one of my wife's favorite demo tracks. She has vetoed the purchase of equipment that couldn't handle the rhythmic complexity of the tune.

While I'm here...some of my favorite music, some of which also serve as great demos. I've picked these tunes out because I like them, but also because they show what a system is capable of at the extremes of what I listen to. They're also representative of my everyday listening.

"Maria Catena" by Carmen Consoli, from the "Eva Contro Eva" album. Luscious vocal.

"Red" by King Crimson. Ok, maybe not a great demo track, but a great tune. Many of the instrumentals from "Thrak" are also good.

"La Iluvia" from "Chancullo" by Ruben Gonzalez. Great complex percussion, beautiful piano.

Almost anything by Susana Baca.

"Misadventure" by Squeeze. Not a great demo, but what a great pop tune.

"In Good Company" by Kevin Crawford. Irish flute. Just a great album.
    "White Man in Hammersmith Palais" by the Clash. If your equipment makes this atrociously recorded tune more listenable, it's a plus. But it's a great tune in any case.

"Watching The Detectives" by Elvis Costello. Distorted percusion, screeching organ, great bass line.

"Singin' The Blues" by Bix Beiderbecke. One of the great melodies of all time. Now that I think of it, it's hard to care about sound quality when this tune is playing.

There's more, but that's a good sampling.

Comment

Anyone who like me loves choral music should take a listen to "Dreamland" on the Hyperion classical label. It is an inexpensive sampler of some of Hyperion's contemporary choral catalogue, and much of it is quite simply sublime. Listening to this sort of music is when I appreciate my Harbeths the most - the purity and interplay of the voices and the acoustic of the recording space really shines through.

Comment

Originally posted by douga View Post
        "La Iluvia" from "Chancullo" by Ruben Gonzalez. Great complex percussion, beautiful piano.
        My late wife loved Ruben's music. She went out of her way to see him in person in Miami, and Ruben wrote a nice comment to her in the CD liner notes of a Gonzalez recording she brought along.

Comment

Originally posted by tozen View Post
          Anyone who like me loves choral music should take a listen to "Dreamland" on the Hyperion classical label. It is an inexpensive sampler of some of Hyperion's contemporary choral catalogue, and much of it is quite simply sublime..
          Dreamland is beautiful. A personal favorite Hyperion disc of mine is: Godowsky "Strauss Transcriptions & other waltzes" w/ Marc-Andre Hamelin on piano.

Comment

Aussies hip hop is some of the most horrible shit I have heard. I love hip hop music. There are so many elements used in a hip hop.

Comment

Working...
            X