Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Vocal Distortion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocal Distortion

Hi, I'm not too sure whether this was being discussed before, but I found that Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" seems to clip/distort slightly when it's being played on my system. Would appreciate if you share your experience.

may I know which album and the album was made in?
    "Bath with Music"

Comment

Hi Keith, it's the "Come Away With Me" album. I'm not quite sure where was it made in...

Comment

Hi, you can try using headphone to listen tht trck see if any distortion...try on CDP, then from amp or from another amp..If it was due to cd, you shd heard it even in low volume...try another input on you amp as well....
        "Bath with Music"

Comment

It isn't a particularly good recording, so don't worry, your system isn't at fault.

Comment

Originally posted by miniwatt View Post
            Hi, I'm not too sure whether this was being discussed before, but I found that Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" seems to clip/distort slightly when it's being played on my system. Would appreciate if you share your experience.
            hi miniwatt, listening to it now for the second time. dont hear any distortion. "you'd be on my mind..." you sure you havent got it on too loud? its the 2002/2003 Bluenote version yeah?

Mw, are you running a low powered tube amp by any chance?

Comment

Hi all, I tried using Grado SR80i to listen, found the same distortion, particularly at low volume. And yes, it's the blue cover album in 2002/2003. Lately I've upgraded my amp to Naim Nait 5i2 from a 2.5W Miniwatt S1.

Comment

Yeah...I think the problem is CD itself then. I did encounter similar problem on a Ricky Lee Jone "POP POP" CD. I then brought another same CD which was pressed in US and no more problem.
                "Bath with Music"

Comment

Are you referring to the SACD release? This one of my favourite test CD for vocals (SACD format). Could you tell the track time of the distortion?

Comment

The part with significant distortion, especially on left side is between 1:13-1:14. It's more obvious when you listen at very low level. I guess it's not due to amp clipping nor tweeter defect. It sounds the same with my Sennheiser CX300 II as well. Maybe I'll try it with Naim DAC later.

Comment

Miniwatt, which format? SACD or CD?

Comment

Hi STHLS5, it's a CD format.

Comment

Hi miniwatt

Had another look at it for you. Its because of copy control. Does your copy have the C sign on the cover?

The only way you can enjoy it is to rip the tracks out.

Comment

Hi kittykat, mine has the same cover as this one:

Mine is ripped into Apple Lossless format via iTunes. Does it make a difference? Because I can hear the same distortion when playing on both CD and ALAC format.

Comment

That's why i never did like this album....recording sucks imho....sounds ok on car stereo or mini compo but not so on hifi setups.

Comment

Working...
                              X