Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Best song ever written?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best song ever written?

Good afternoon HUG!

Reading Music Week today I saw an interesting article - The best song ever part 1.

"Ahead of the impending Ivor Novello Awards this week, Music Week got thinking about the immortal question: What is the best song ever written?"

What do you think of their suggestions? What do you think is the best song ever written? A very tough question and how do you pick just one??

http://bit.ly/2rm3EX5
    Ahead of the impending Ivor Novello Awards this week, Music Week asks people in the biz the toughest question in the world: What is the best song ever written? Here's what they had to say...
    Emma Smith
    Brand Manager
    Harbeth Audio UK

This is the kind of question that has as many answers as there are people who think they have an answer!

Comment

Originally posted by Emma S View Post
      Good afternoon HUG!

Reading Music Week today I saw an interesting article - The best song ever part 1.

"Ahead of the impending Ivor Novello Awards this week, Music Week got thinking about the immortal question: What is the best song ever written?"

What do you think of their suggestions? What do you think is the best song ever written? A very tough question and how do you pick just one??

http://bit.ly/2rm3EX5
      I see there's a picture of the Gallagher brothers from Oasis.
      Surely not one of their songs is 'The best Song ever written.'

Comment

I guess it depends who you ask, as you say!

What makes a great song? It's a personal question too - one song that means a lot to you, someone else might not be able to stand!

Emma Smith
        Brand Manager
        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

To start with: Sting has written many a good song. But they could even be bettered by other Interpreters. I think of "Fields of Gold" by Eva Cassidy. Also the song "And so it goes" by Billy Joel sung by Karrin Allyson is imho one of the best songs ever.

Comment

Impossible to pick just one. What makes a great song to me is one that is as lyrically profound as it is musically.

I only agree with one of the tracks in the article - Imagine by John Lennon. To me is is the distillation of a simple philosophy communicated beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma S View Post
              What makes a great song? It's a personal question too - one song that means a lot to you, someone else might not be able to stand!
              Exactly! It's like asking 'how long is a piece of string'. But since you have asked, and nobody else has ventured an answer, I will offer my own that are based only on what you have said above.

Probably my all time favourite for best/greatest is 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' by Roberta Flack, but this is as much for how she delivers it in such an achingly beautiful way. Two others that stop me in my track whenever I hear them are both by the wonderful singer/songwriter Neil Diamond ('Hello Again' & 'I Am, I Said').

From the original list in your first post, it has to be John Lennon for me as this is a song that just seems to capture hearts around the world.

Comment

Here's one example of a great song, being performed really well, by great musicians and a great singer. This was recorded live, in a studio at a radio station.

I can just imagine myself listening to this song playing over a pair of M40.2 Anniversary Edition speakers, powered by a 200 W/channel Rotel pre/power amplifier combination. Now that might just make this the "best song ever", until I played another "best song ever". And another... ;-)

Comment

Impossible task . There is so much great music and songs. Better question would be what makes a song the great one?

Truthfulness of the message, talent of composer and performer(s)? One example below - fasten your seat belts very tight, please ...:

Flower Power Project - Woodstock Poland 2015:

Comment

A British music journalist claimed Jimmy Webb's Wichita Lineman (later covered by Glenn Campbell) as the greatest song ever composed, so Music Week got that one right, while Rolling Stone magazine in 2004 voted Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan No 1 in its list of the 500 greatest songs ever written. Both songs from the 60s and probably not a bad place to start....otherwise I'm Not in Love (10cc), Riders on the Storm (The Doors), Light My Fire (Jose Feliciano's version) are also worthy contenders. But where does a list like this start and end?!

Comment

Well Emma, this is going to horrify you .... !

I'll tell you the story of this later, but in an idle moment this afternoon, I thought I'd search for this masterpiece, which to the best of my knowledge has never been released on CD. And amazingly, I found it on YouTube.

It needs to be played REALLY loud - you'll need a couple of hundred watts minimum ..... if you have a couple of kW available all the better. 5kW is my recommended amp. Per channel, obviously.

Here it is .....

Completely fabulous.

Anyone of a certain age remember Andy Finney's Fresh Garbage programme on BBC Radio London (Hannover Square) in the early 70s - Sunday afternoons I think. Where are you now, Andy? I owe you for letting me into the studio every week.
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                        ... but in an idle moment this afternoon, I thought I'd search for this masterpiece, which to the best of my knowledge has never been released on CD. And amazingly, I found it on YouTube.
                        Here it is .....
                        Completely fabulous.
                        Will that be cash or credit, sir?

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/apeacock4

http://www.annettepeacock.com/AP_Shop.html

Comment

How did you do that? Occasionally over the last 45 years I've looked for it on CD .....

As it says on your linked page "There's no denying she's 'the one'. It's been 38 years in coming, but Annette Peacock's "I'm The One" is finally back on CD where everybody has ...."

That makes two of us then.

Thanks!
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                            How did you do that? Occasionally over the last 45 years I've looked for it on CD .....
                            https://www.discogs.com/Annette-Peac...e/master/55062

Comment

Also streaming on Tidal - https://listen.tidal.com/artist/3677524

Comment

Working...
                              X