Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

The Harbeth Listening Room becomes .... a recording studio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Harbeth Listening Room becomes .... a recording studio

Next week my professional singer friend the highly regarded Heather Cairncross (links here and here current schedule here) and one of her guitarist friends will come over to the Harbeth R&D facility, deep in the countryside, and I will attempt to record them in the highest possible fidelity.

It's a little too cold to book a village hall, so I thought we'd reverse the use of The Cottage. In the same space that would normally be occupied by the Monitor 40.1 (or P3ESR, both designed and optimised there) I'd place the musicians and then capture their sounds with a stereo microphone about where I'd normally sit.

On Monday next we will do a test run to see how it sounds, and on Thursday the proper recording if all goes well. We'll capture the event on video and I may try and do a live streamed transmission so you can see for yourself how time-inefficient the recording process is, adjusting this and that. If we can capture something of good audio technical quality on either date then it will be the first release under the Harbeth label. We have plans for future recordings.

Heather has a wide range of styles and an incredibly sweet and clear voice with great range and depth. Example here and here.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
    ... If we can capture something of good audio technical quality on either date then it will be the first release under the Harbeth label. We have plans for future recordings...
    Wow! Nice project. I'll be glad to follow this.

Sebastien

Comment

Alan, this is exciting to hear! I'll be first in line to buy the first release under the Harbeth label. I'd be very interested in hearing a recording made on Harbeths, with my Harbeths! Funny, I was just listening to the two NAIM label CDs that I have - still going through my cd collection with my new P3ESRs - very simple recordings (some recordings work, some don't), interesting tests for speakers...

Comment

Looking forward to this.

On CD and vinyl I hope !!!

Comment

Streaming video/audio test

Preparing for the recording session:
          =========================

We've checked-out various video streaming options. We don't want to throw a lot of money at this experiment with long-term contracts etc. so the best option seems to be Livestream.

Here is a test link to a live stream

We'd like to know if ....

1. You can see the picture
          2. You can hear the sound (a radio playing in the background etc.)
          3. You can interact by typing comment

We are not sure if the link above remains day after day or is anew link needed? With a competitive video streaming system, the link seems to change several times a day which is useless. We will stop transmitting and restart frequently and we hope the link remains live.

Thanks for your feedback

Harbeth PR
          Harbeth PR,
          Harbeth UK

Comment

I hope Alan can produce a audio CD version for this recording.
            "Bath with Music"

Comment

A Harbeth recording is definitely worth anticipating.

Comment

Streaming video page - register to add comments

I registered for LiveStream and was able to post comments.

Don
                Last edited by Don Leman; 12-12-2010, 05:49 PM. Reason: new information

Comment

Streaming test page

We are streaming The X Factor Final live. It really is transmitted from London live. This is the UK's biggest TV show. What you are hearing was mixed and balanced on Monitor 40.1 and M30 in the studio and then directly from them to whatever speaker you are listening to the programme on.

Link here. Yes you will hear not-perfect pitch because this is live TV. Alternative player test page is here. This one does not have advertising etc.

There is now a library recording of the show.

Comment

This is a first!

2010gbhar: So what you hear is just one step along the chain from what Robert Edawrds, the sound engineer hear over his M40.1/M30 rig in the control room, and he adjusted the sounds to what we hear ...

I couldn't watch the live yesterday coz it's past midnight in Malaysia. Anyway, I did comparison with the live recording in Yourtube and from Harbeth live streaming and I have to say the sound it pretty close. Compare the Harbeth track time 15.23' to the Youtube's.

I'll use a proper sound card and speakers later to do the comparison but so far with my cheap speakers and sound card the sound is almost identical (except for slight hiss). Did you place the mic in the studio and broadcast them live?

This is a very important recording because for the first time we get an insight of what a recording engineer intended. Thanks Harbeth. Now if you can find the time I would like to have a high quality MP3 of Harbeth live stream and the TV sound recorded from the web. We cannot watch UK channel from here.

ST

Comment

Guitar + voice = live stream now

OK, we are now streaming live from the Harbeth R&D facility.

Please watch and report .... link here or alternative here
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

9:14am PST here so likely missed the live event. I was able to view the recorded session though. If you would let us know the next date and time I could attempt to be available to provide feedback.

Comment

Level setting - not easy

Hello Don,

We'll be recording all day on Thursday from about 11am UK time onwards.

Deciding on what level to feed the internet stream is rather tricky. It seems that the overload indicators overreact somewhat. So the first video is louder than the others because I turned the internet feed volume down. Seems I shouldn't have.

Anyway, this was very much a rough-and-ready test. We are still learning.
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Music sample from rehearsal recording

Here is Heather playing her guitar (she taught herself only recently). She's a member of the choir that Gramophone Magazine have just voted 'the best in the world'.

This is a fairly up-close, intimate recording - necessary in such a small, relatively undamped room; I wonder what you make of the recording? She sings in French, then English.

HQ MP3 is here ....

It was very surprising indeed how moving the microphone and/or some slabs of Rockwool in the listening room (being used as a recording studio) just half a metre this way or that made an immediate adjustment in the sound quality, not in the direct sound but in the reverberant 'tail' that lingers after and between the words. The more damping I introduced and the closer to Heather, the dryer the sound of her voice and the less room 'twang'. There was no detectable change in the sound quality of the nylon-stringed guitar, probably because it has less acoustic power than the voice (so less energy to bounce around the room) and also because it has less HF energy than the voice.

You can see the streamed video here. If you fast-forward to about 16 mins. on the Heather Pt1 video, you'll see the actual set-up for the MP3 clip above.
                            Alan A. Shaw
                            Designer, owner
                            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

It sounds wonderful. Warm and inviting. Beautiful singing voice. I'm looking forward to buying this recording.

Comment

Working...
                              X