Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Coupling Harbeth to the Stand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupling Harbeth to the Stand

Hi all,

What do you use for coupling the Harbeth speaker to the stand? I have got my new Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 and have a pair of Lovan stands. However, the top frame is slightly uneven, higher on one corner and I found that one corner of the speakers are not sitting on the Herbie's fat dot (which I use for coupling the speakers to the stands at the moment).

Do you have any recommendation for a soft 'feet' (more compliance) to take care of uneven surface? Anyone using Brightstar Isonode for speakers?

Thanks.

Re: Coupling Harbeth to the Stand

Blutack should do the trick!

Comment

Do you mean blu tak between the stand and the fat dot or simply use blu tak between the speakers and the stands? I have heard that blu tak can damage the wood finish?

Comment

Hi Champion,
        I had experienced blue tak damage the woodfinish. The blue tak tend to suck out water and dry the spot. After sometime, it is hard to remove or worst, peel off the veneer.

I will use thick cardboard or folded paper put underneat to balance it.
        Last edited by keithwwk; 08-11-2009, 09:26 AM. Reason: edit typo
        "Bath with Music"

Comment

Hi Champion,

This wiil do the trick. It work for me or something similar :)

Comment

Originally posted by denjo View Post
            Blutack should do the trick!
            Do NOT use blutack.

I was trying to remove the base of a floorstanding speaker that was coupled by blutack, and it literally removed the entire bottom veneer---

Comment

Originally posted by Teuton View Post
              Do NOT use blutack.

I was trying to remove the base of a floorstanding speaker that was coupled by blutack, and it literally removed the entire bottom veneer---
              I think it depends on the amount used. As a dealer, I have been using BluTak since it was first invented, which is probably thirty years or more. During that time we have placed and removed various speakers on stands hundreds of thousands of times and only once have we had a small section of veneer lifted.

We never use more than a pea sized blob on each corner and use the same pieces for years without changing. Much larger pieces might well be a problem.

Comment

I agree bluetack is good to use if not leave the speaker on it for long time. Leave the speakers on it over a yr, the tack will really dry up and stick hard on the veneer hardly remove.

I think champion is having uneven surface on this stand that causing 1 corner not touching bottom of his speaker. If using blue tack, he need to use big amount to even it..not practical.
                "Bath with Music"

Comment

Yes, that's right. Also, I have used blu tak on other speakers before but I don't feel blu tak give you a consistent/controlled gap between the speaker and the stand. It is possible to have the speaker touching the stand, which may affect the sound / results in scratches. That is why I am looking at more compliant feets like the brightstar.

Maybe I will stick with the fat dot and use some felt/tape to fill the gap as others have suggested. Thanks for your help.

I am still interested in experience from others on feets with more compliance/softer.

Comment

Black Ravioli. Stunningly good.

Not feet but small pads.

Comment

Blutak

Please be very careful about using Blutak. Once we were presented with a customer's situation where he used four rather large blobs of Blutak to affix his speakers to his stand. The speakers sat there undisturbed for several years. When he did attempt to lift them off, the suction was so great between the Blutak and the cabinet that it ripped some veneer off.

General advice is here - see section 12.
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

What if the speakers tend to 'rock'? The Skylan stands have 4 rubber pads that you can affix to the top of the stand. However, the glue tends to disintegrate and this causes the pads to loosen and come off. This makes the speakers rock on the stand. This can't be a good thing.

Also, having the speakers perfectly level must surely be an advantage?

Comment

Personally it doesn't trouble me if the speakers are not perfectly level. During the entire design process I pay no attention whatever to the stand material, brand, construction method or interface between the speakers and the stand. All I focus on is the stand height. The speakers are just plonked onto the top of the stand and that's it. You of course are free to experiment, but this issue is not on my radar as a super-sensitive one.

That said, the REALLY important issue is 'are the stands safe' - safe from toppling over and safe from injuring a child or animal. All other issues are of much lesser importance.
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

I suggest using antislip mat in between your skyland and the speakers surely your speakers can not rock and very firm and stable too.
                            "Bath with Music"

Comment

Terrycloth towels work fine between my M40s and their stands.

Comment

Working...
                              X