Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

What do you look for when buying stands?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you look for when buying stands?

Hello HUG

On the subject of stands, how important do you think that they are? Are your stand requirements purely cosmetic? What is it you look for when buying stands?
    Emma Smith
    Brand Manager
    Harbeth Audio UK

Stands are very important. Doesn't go down well on the HUG but there ya go.

IMO, we need a range of Harbeth manufactured stands, to avoid any doubts.

Comment

They are clearly an essential buy. I bought mine because they both looked good and they were the right height.

My main issue is the cost of stands. For a bespoke pair in the UK from a mainstream company they cost over £500! Others are closer to £1,000.

I have with hifi-dave. Harbeth should offer a range of their own stands and have done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robmoores1 View Post
        My main issue is the cost of stands. For a bespoke pair in the UK from a mainstream company they cost over £500! Others are closer to £1,000.

I agree with hifi-dave. Harbeth should offer a range of their own stands and have done with it.
        Rob, it depends on what stands you buy. Those from HI-Fi Racks will certainly be very expensive once beyond P3ESR's but I bought my open framed Something Solids from Hi-Fi Dave for around £250 at the time of speaker purchase.

In answer to Emma, they are of course very important as all Harbeth speakers require some kind of support at the correct height, and I also think that aesthetics will be crucial for those of us that have to share their music system in a domestic setting. I would describe my stands as 'industrial' and possibly not for everyone. If Harbeth were able to manufacture something along the lines of the solid oak Hi-Fi Racks stands that might be the answer, although there will be varying heights required for each stand, which is what Hi-Fi Racks and Something Solid are already set up to produce as each is made to order.

Comment

The easiest thing would be a stand that you can shorten to the right height yourself. Esthetically I am attracted to the modern column design, with a wide and heavy bottom plate for stability.

Comment

I recently bought stands for my P3ESRs. Appearance, height and cost were most important to me, in that order. Also, not made in China. I always try to support Western manufacturers whenever possible, even if it means paying more. Adjustable height would be great but not the added cost and complexity that comes with it.

Comment

I agree stands are important. It's potentially a lot of faffing around if there isn't something available that is establshed as being the right height for each Harbeth speaker. It's a big bonus if they look nice too.

Here in Japan there are some wooden stands made for Harbeths, but not made by Harbeth which both look nice and do the job well. They are nice and light and as I often need to shift the speakers into the corner when not using them, they are floor friendly and work great for me. They are IMO overpriced, but as an essential accessory what can we do?

I think some reasonably priced Harbeth made stands would be a great complement to the speakers. Perhaps even matching veneers available?

Comment

If Harbeth starts making stands they might as well make floorstanders

Comment

I don't agree with that.

Harbeth design and manufacture stand mount speakers because they believe that is the best way to provide a natural sound. Given that design criteria, they require stands and for my money I would very much welcome a range of Harbeth stands.

Look elsewhere if you want a floor stander.

Comment

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
                    Look elsewhere if you want a floor stander.
                    Ask this gentleman about his floorstanding speaker:

Click image for larger version

Name:	nrg4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	71043

Comment

What' the difference between a floorstanding box and a speaker mounted box with a fixed stand that is enclosed with the same veneer as the driver cabinet?
                      Harbeth should only build stands, if it's shure that the company can reach the same degree of excellent reputation with their stands. Can't imagine. Mr. Shaw would put himself in a position, where he has to claim that a stand has a sound. For the same reason they should never ever build an amplifier.

Comment

Some floor standing speakers are as you describe - a stand mount speaker built on top of an empty box - simply a style choice. The empty box will resonate and colour the sound to some extent.

Other floor standers are just long boxes with drivers mounted on. This is a popular style choice.

I am hoping for a sensible design of speaker stand from Harbeth. Doesn't need to have any qualities attached to it, just sensibly sturdy, available in different heights to suit the customer and at a reasonable price. My choice of stand doesn't suit some people aesthetically, as they are a steel frame and they prefer a wooden stand. Unfortunately, the go to choice of wooden stand in the UK has increased in price by around 50% this year, as they have become popular.

Comment

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
                          Unfortunately, the go to choice of wooden stand in the UK has increased in price by around 50% this year, as they have become popular.
                          I have noticed that David, and was quite shocked at the level of the price increase. Still, they would appear a bit of a bargain compared to the TonTräger.audio stands that have been heavily recommended elsewhere on the HUG. I do think the Something Solid XF stands are much more pleasing and acceptable the bigger the Harbeth model and therefore the less tall the stand. Looks more proportionate than with the P3ESR's.

Comment

I have a pair of Foundation II. They are solid and stable for the pair of ProAc Tablette 50 Signature that I have been using for about 20 years. However, at 25 inches tall on spikes, they are a few inches too high and too small for the pair of M30.1 that arrived in March. A dedicated pair of speaker stands certainly look good but for nearly AU$1000, I think they are not good value for money, and the height is fixed. I continued my search and found the Sound Mechanics link attached. The pair of Sx200 look ideal. I was thinking of getting a pair but then this idea came to mind - I went to IKEA and bought a pair of white birch Norraker kitchen stools for $80. Standing at 45cm (less than 18 inches), they are a bit too short. So I went to a local hardware house and bought 4 concrete pavers and 2 thin tiles to protect the surface of the stools. I put the speakers on spikes. The photo shows how they look. They are really stable and rock solid. Total cost is merely $100, not counting the spikes that I bought many years ago.

Sitting on my sofa, the M30.1 sound wonderful. Now the tweeters are about 90cm (35 inches) above the floor, slightly higher than my ears. The sound stage is perhaps still a bit low, but I am going to settle for now and just enjoy music. : )

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=72867.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	733.9 KB
ID:	72886
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post

I have noticed that David, and was quite shocked at the level of the price increase. Still, they would appear a bit of a bargain compared to the TonTräger.audio stands that have been heavily recommended elsewhere on the HUG. I do think the Something Solid XF stands are much more pleasing and acceptable the bigger the Harbeth model and therefore the less tall the stand. Looks more proportionate than with the P3ESR's.
                              Basically, they increased prices only on the stands for Harbeth speakers. In their own words "to better reflect the quality Worldwide". For them, the Harbeth stands have been a great success and they appear to be cashing in on the popularity.

I would agree that the Something Solid stands, because of their open construction, almost disappear under the larger speakers and nowhere near as in-yer-face and prominent as some designs.

Comment

Working...
                              X