Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Soundproofing in walls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundproofing in walls

Hello,

Will adding soundproofing inside walls help or hinder the sound quality attained in the listening room? Or will it not make a difference inside the room itself at all? Thank you.

Room treatment thread - 'wet' and 'dry'

Originally posted by TSWisla View Post
    Hello,

Will adding soundproofing inside walls help or hinder the sound quality attained in the listening room? Or will it not make a difference inside the room itself at all? Thank you.
    The answer is that it will depend on whether your room is a 'dry'* or 'wet'* acoustic to begin with. here is a good thread to read through which I remember on HUG. Other members may be able to point you to other useful threads.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...ghlight=garage

{Moderator's comment: * 'dry' or 'wet' acoustic spaces (rooms) tell us how little or much echo (reverberation) there is, sometimes achieved by design (concert tall) ro sometimes by accident (home room).}

Comment

In wall absorption

Well, the room in question is 3m wide by 4.8m long by 2.7m high. Looking at the speakers, the wall to the right is brick, the wall in back of the speakers is drywalled, the wall to the left is drywalled, the wall in front of the speakers has a large window and is drywalled. The back wall and the wall to the left can be filled with soundproofing materials. If it will hurt the acoustics, I will not do it. Thank you.

Comment

Treatment in or on the walls

Jeff, I was reading through the thread that you sent me. From a quick look it seems that it discusses building treatments and panels that go outside of walls.

I am having a room build and I have the ability to add something like Rockwool INSIDE the walls. I was wondering if adding Rockwool to the inside of the walls would adversely or positively affect the sound quality in the room. Thank you.

Comment

Treatment objective

What do you want to achieve: a better acoustic for improved listening, or less noise for the neighbours?

Comment

Insulation?

Originally posted by willem View Post
            What do you want to achieve: a better acoustic for improved listening, or less noise for the neighbours?
            Willem makes a good point but there is an other factor to consider. Living here in the UK the prime concern would be heat insulation for any construction. If best insulation practice also serves to absorb unwanted sound energy all well and good. I do not know the climate where you live but you need to consider insulation properties.

The "garage" thread I linked to should empower you to look up properties of the materials you are considering and see what effect on acoustics it may have.

Comment

Treatment

Thank you for the replies. This issue here not not about my neighbors or exterior wall treatments. I simply want the best acoustics for my listening room. The room is currently being built and the walls are wide open. I am considering the soundproofing as a measure to decrease how much noise travels throughout my house, but I will NOT consider doing the sound treatment if it will negatively affect my listening experience.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. This issue here not not about my neighbors or exterior wall treatments. I simply want the best acoustics for my listening room. The room is currently being built and the walls are wide open. I am considering the soundproofing as a measure to decrease how much noise travels throughout my house, but I will NOT consider doing the sound treatment if it will negatively affect my listening experience.
                This is a very complex issue, and should not be undertaken by 'remote control' over the internet.

The first question you have to ask yourself is what are you trying to achieve? Why not do what 99% of audiophiles do when it comes to room acoustics. Nothing. Just ignore the issue and pretend it doesn't exist. Soon enough your ear/brain will cease to hear problems.
                Alan A. Shaw
                Designer, owner
                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Soft furnishings

I found the extract from Gilbert Griggs' book most informative (he of the 1954/55 demonstrations with PJW discussed a few weeks ago).

I was interested to see that cinder blocks and modern suspended ceiling are fairly absorbent, although my cinderblock wall is painted which rather reduces the effect.

The BBC put a highly absorbent panel between the speakers, whereas most people these days might put hardwood furniture or a glass flat panel TV, which is quite the opposite of what you need.

Nothing beats soft furnishings and carpet with foam underlay.

I dealt with some large glass surfaces with bog-standard roller blinds. I got some recently from IKEA, 180cm x 200cm for £24 each. If your ceilings are fairly high, say over 2.5m, you don't really notice the blinds and they do a good job. It's not very scientific, but it works.

Comment

Wow, at a loss, really...

Comment

Low frequencies

Well, the room in question is 3m wide by 4.8m long by 2.7m high. Looking at the speakers, the wall to the right is brick, the wall in back of the speakers is drywalled, the wall to the left is drywalled, the wall in front of the speakers has a large window and is drywalled. The back wall and the wall to the left can be filled with soundproofing materials. If it will hurt the acoustics, I will not do it. Thank you.
                      Data exist which indicate that adding sound absorbing materials such as fiberglas insulation installed *behind* drywall may increase the absorption of sound (and thereby decrease the reverberation) at lower frequencies in a room. This would tend to improve - and not damage - the acoustical properties of rooms so treated, if the rooms were otherwise fairly reflective at lower frequencies. (But medium to higher frequency absorption would be affected scarcely at all.) See post # 9 in this link for related information: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...ght=#post16558
                      [/U]

Comment

Seeking advice

I am concerned at the potential for well intentioned although ultimately inappropriate advice being passed on. Any structural changes from a normal room may unwittingly degrade the acoustics and make subsequent in-wall remedial action difficult, very expensive and messy to correct, if even possible. It could also degrade the resale value of the property.

No physical adjustments to under-wall air space should be expected to make an automatic beneficial improvement in room acoustics. To begin to advance this a crystal clear understanding of what's wrong with the standard construction, octave band by octave band is needed, and some knowledge of the acoustic behaviour of panels flexing under the influence of sound. In-room or on-wall treatment can be experimented with and removed. Under-wall structural adjustments from normal would have to be right first time and in the absence of a clear objective and audio test equipment that is most unlikely.

In short, even change the number and position of dry-wall securing nails per panel and you could destabilise a carefully considered, best possible architectural acoustic design. Beware.

I still do not understand what sonic anxiety drives the need to consider adjusting the room under construction. What exactly is wrong with the living space ordinary householders are untroubled by and why not confine experimentation to in-room (removable) treatments?

My strong recommendation concerning adjustments to the walls themselves is to seek out a local architect with relevant experience, and engage his professional skills, which won't be cheap. HUG is not a substitute for that professional advice.
                        Alan A. Shaw
                        Designer, owner
                        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Prompted by this website I have been skimming, dabbling not to mention overleaping huge slabs of reading matter in regards to “how we hear”. It is proving to be a very interesting and complex subject.

Recently I read some of Brian Moore’s “An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing” with a dedicated chapter to Hi-Fi and music reproduction. He mentions the nature of sound reflections in a room. I think his observations went something like this, as long as it was not a long single sustained note of some duration, and the listener was seated somewhere with no less than 90cm free of reflective surfaces in any direction, the sound coming from the speakers will make its way to the ears before any room generated sound reflections have a chance to affect the sound you hear.

Moore also buttresses A.S’ argument in regards to adequate amplification and the fidelity of moderately priced commercially available amplifiers being sufficient to needs.

Comment

Working...
                          X