Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Harbeth 30.1 placement advice - a beginner needs help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbeth 30.1 placement advice - a beginner needs help

New home, new living room, new speakers (30.1s), new amplifier (Peachtree Nova 220 SE). And I am a newbie to audiophile gear and room acoustics.

The speakers will sit on pair of Ikea Lack stools for now.

Living room has with a window at the back, and an opening at the side in the front. I have attached a crude diagram of the room, and photos of the back and the front of the room.

Any advice on placement?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2416.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	74445

Name:	IMG_7971.JPG
Size:	4.49 MB
ID:	74446Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7972.JPG
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	74447

It's kind of hard to say without seeing the room with furnishings. Generally speaking, keeping the speakers 2 to 3 feet from walls to the side and rear limits reflected sound, which you do want to minimize. Of course, rugs and stuffed chairs, couches, etc. help absorb the reflected sound, which is good. Closing the blinds while listening would probably be good. Sitting so that your ears are at the same height as the tweeters of the 30.1s is recommended. So basically, the 'softer' - more absorbent and less reflective - the room the better. But assuming that you may be sharing this room with others, compromise will be the order of the day. Good luck and enjoy the music!

Comment

I guess the primary concern is where you want to sit. You can locate the speakers along three of the four walls I would think. As was already said, keep the speakers some distance away from walls, and make sure reflections are damped rather more than in the current barren state of the room. If, like me, you like a modern minimalist interior, this is not easy.
      Will you also connect your tv? I am always surprised that so few people do, but it improves the tv sound enormously without the hassle of multichannel HT gear and at the cost of no more than an extra cable. And I for one do not want to listen to opera or ballet anymore without the video. A BD (or now UHD BD) player is an excellent cd player as well. But if you do this, you obviously have an additional constraint on where you can locate the speakers, and on where you sit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ned Mast View Post
        It's kind of hard to say without seeing the room with furnishings. Generally speaking, keeping the speakers 2 to 3 feet from walls to the side and rear limits reflected sound, which you do want to minimize. Of course, rugs and stuffed chairs, couches, etc. help absorb the reflected sound, which is good. Closing the blinds while listening would probably be good. Sitting so that your ears are at the same height as the tweeters of the 30.1s is recommended. So basically, the 'softer' - more absorbent and less reflective - the room the better. But assuming that you may be sharing this room with others, compromise will be the order of the day. Good luck and enjoy the music!
        I began experimenting with speakers in various positions along length and on the back window side and already see some improvement! But, yes, furtniture is needed, and all of it is on a ship, heading from India to Oakland harbour. Wonít be here for a month! And a fine Persian rug should add some pizazz to the floor.

Comment

You will need a rug most definitely and also some absorbent on the walls in the form of interlined curtains or similar. Without these, the room will be very live and echoey.

Comment

Originally posted by willem View Post
            I guess the primary concern is where you want to sit. You can locate the speakers along three of the four walls I would think. As was already said, keep the speakers some distance away from walls, and make sure reflections are damped rather more than in the current barren state of the room. If, like me, you like a modern minimalist interior, this is not easy.
            Will you also connect your tv? I am always surprised that so few people do, but it improves the tv sound enormously without the hassle of multichannel HT gear and at the cost of no more than an extra cable. And I for one do not want to listen to opera or ballet anymore without the video. A BD (or now UHD BD) player is an excellent cd player as well. But if you do this, you obviously have an additional constraint on where you can locate the speakers, and on where you sit.
            Yes, a TV, a Mac Mini, a Denon SACD-DVD player for CDs and movies, and an Apple TV will grace a BDI cabinet. I have gotten to used to looking at my library on the big TV screen to move to a iPad based selection. But the room does have to also be a living room with a couple of other sofas, and some bookshelves, end tables, and paintings. So a fair bit of space management to do. Canít afford a pure music room setup. My Eames chair replica will still be prime seat for the music! I watch a lot of concert videos from a site called Qello, that has a good selection.

Comment

Name:	E41BF0DD-89AE-4EBB-A7F6-3832AD4C7F2E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	16.37 MB
ID:	74463

The room now!

Comment

Nice use of cartons.

Comment

Name:	F2FBBD18-CD90-4B1A-93F0-375DA84F09DA.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	5.13 MB
ID:	74469

Stands came, and made a difference straight away. Now for some furniture...

Comment

Nice room -- I just went through this with a pair of SHL5+. Here is a decent starting point for your room: listening position is 2/3 off the front wall, and speakers are 1/5 off the wall. From here I would toe in to taste.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X