Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Super HL5plus or M30.1 domestic, which one suits me better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super HL5plus or M30.1 domestic, which one suits me better?

Hi.

My room is wide, but short: 7,0 m x 2,60 m. Side walls are not an issue, but, due to its short deep (2,60m), the possible distance between speakers and rear wall is around 25cm only... Thus, the equilateral triangle formed between the speakers and the sweet spot has about 1,80m sides, a bit limited.

Even with my room limitations, I decided to buy the Super HL5 plus or the M30.1 domestic. My doubts:

1) Due to the short distance, which model would suit better, forming a better soundstage?
    2) In my situation, M30.1 would be better to avoid "boomy", or either models will perform the same?
    3) Super HL5plus is a better and refined speaker than the M30.1, or both has different "tastes" and virtues? Which ones?
    4) Which one sounds more similar to the flagship M40.2 domestic?

I listen music at moderate volumes without abuse at high SPL, my preferences are mainly pop and rock. I like flat and balanced response.

Thanks.

First question is, can you demo these speakers before buying?

I tested the 30s a year ago and was not stirred by their performance. A few months ago I sat down with the SHL5+ and bought them right off the floor. They just had more presence and impact -- these are qualities I look for. I feel that both these speakers are fairly room agnostic. My friend has a pair of 40s in a relatively small room. There was a significant bass bloat in his space. However, it was easily fixed with a few quick measurements and a corner bass trap. I would have to say that neither the 30s or the SHL5+ compare to what the 40s can do: the low end reproduction of the 40s is amazing.

Comment

Working...
    X