Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

How to spell (and say) our company name!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to spell (and say) our company name!

It is amazing the number of folk (overseas) who honestly, truly do believe that our company name has an extra 'r' in it, as in HarbeRth!

In fact, we are Harbeth, no second R.

This thread was duplicated by the poster. Please understand that moderation is not instantaneous!

P.S. It took us nearly 15 years to have the UK post office correct our company name on their data base, which is widely used by direct mailing companies.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Teaching English to foreigners

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
    It is amazing the number of folk (overseas) who honestly, truly do believe that our company name has an extra 'r' in it, as in HarbeRth!

In fact, we are Harbeth, no second R.

As an ex-ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher in my younger days, I would venture that this may be because the words "harbour" and "berth" may be better known to non-native speakers than the word "Beth", which is an unusual syllable and I think occurs only in the context of given names such as "Elizabeth" and "Bethany".

Also, the "th" sound (whether voiced as in "though" or unvoiced as in "Harbeth") is a tricky one for native speakers of many other languages, which do not contain that sound. This is probably exacerbated by the "r" in the first syllable, which makes it tempting to slip another "r" into the second.

English is a harder language to learn than many native English speakers realize. The Japanese in particular seem to have a terrible time with consonant clusters (combined consonant sounds in one word which are not separated by a vowel, like the "rb" in the middle of "Harbeth"), since these simply do not exist in the Japanese language.

Comment

I think it is because Herberth or Herbert is a name in many European languages. It can be both given and family name and sounds obviously much more familiar to many people's ears than the unique Harbeth company name.

There was, for instance, famous Polish poet named Zbigniew Herbert. He was one of the best known and most translated post-war Polish writers. He was a distant relative of the 17th-century Anglo-Welsh poet George Herbert.

Because of that I sort of understand when I see in Polish audiophile forums Harbeth company name spelled as "Herbert", "Herberth", "Harbert" or "Harberth". For some reason people just miss that second "r" and my guess it's because of the name which is more familiar to them. Even some long-term Harbeth users can't seem to spell the name properly which is bizarre!

Comment

Working...
      X