Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

30 Oct 2016: Alan celebrates 30 years at Harbeth!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harwood writes (1)

So, the first of a few papers from around the time of my take-over. First, the cover sheet for an overview of the available accounts that I prepared in July 1986.

That led to correspondence with Dudley to obtain more up to date information, and his letter from Mr. Harwood to Mr. Shaw of August 1986, discussing the presentation of accounts, a new order from Japan, and his dawning realisation that his non-accounting valuation of the buisiness was somewhat over optimistic. You will read that at the time he was selling his 8" polyproylene woofer, actually manufactured in its entirety by Rogers/Swisstone, to the German DIY hobby market for inclusion into the "Harwood" speaker kit available there.

Also attached the response from my bank to the concept of buying the Harbeth company. Not exactly falling over themselves to lend money were they. Also, from my analysis of the business of 1986, the graph printed on my Amstrad PCW word processor. That was, at the time, the very height of domestic IT sophistication.
    Attached Files
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Turning around intrincic values

My late father was an excellent electrical engineer who after a career in design and consulting became an expert in turning round projects/companies in trouble. His first concern was always to decide if the product was technically sound and preferably excellent. The rest was more easily solved.

I am now spending a month in Paris, the origin of his biggest success. Time for memories, and for lessons to draw, even if I never followed in his footsteps.

Alan, congratulations.

Comment

Well the Co-op went bust and Harbeth didn't. So who had the last laugh?

Comment

Financials

But those figures were indeed terrible. The company's only asset was the engineering quality of the existing product, but precisely the continuity of that asset was in doubt: which bank manager could have guessed that Alan would become such a good speaker designer?

Comment

To another 30 years!

The traditional Ukrainian birthday/anniversary salutation of 'Mnohaya lita' seems appropriate.

Translated literally as 'many years', the intention is to wish the recipient many more years of health, wealth and happiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBYTG0r2nD8

Comment

Mechanisms that make proven banking idiots.

Originally posted by ssfas View Post
              Well the Co-op went bust and Harbeth didn't. So who had the last laugh?
              If there were no co-op banks in the world the Victorian dealings in industry, agriculture and enterpreneurship would probably last up to our times. Yes they went bust, but maybe some explanations why it happened just to them?

Recently Rev. Justin Welby persuaded compatriots to organize and support local financial cooperatives, funds and unicredits to tear the society out of the claws of Wonga and other "banking" scum. Wasn't he right?

ATB

Comment

Congratulations!

Alan,

A couple of days late, but still very much in time, please accept my congratulations for the 30 years ahead of the company.

Thank you for designing and making such wonderful speakers.

I wish all the best for you and Harbeth.

Comment

Well done Mr. H

Well Mr Harwood could not have sold the business to a better man. Thanks for designing and making the best speakers and talking sense in a world of hifi nonsense.

Happy 30th and heres to the next 30!

Comment

The next steps

A little more on my take-over at Harbeth in 1986.

Attached an extract from me to Dudley after he had his trading accounts brought up to date. You will note at the end of my letter I made an offer to him, which had he taken it would doubtless offered him considerable comfort in his final retirement. It threw me in at the deep end, which although not what I was expecting, was by far the best way to learn.

>
                    Attached Files
                    Alan A. Shaw
                    Designer, owner
                    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Why?

If i may ask, what were Harwood's reasons for turning down your offer? I understand he didn't become a consultant eventually.

Comment

Openness

Wow Alan, that is really open of you to share, thanks for this rare look into the kitchen.
                        Listen to the P3ESRs with ears, not eyes

Comment

Proposal

Originally posted by Milosz View Post
                          If i may ask, what were Harwood's reasons for turning down your offer? I understand he didn't become a consultant.
                          Why do you think he may have declined or been advised to decline my offer?
                          Alan A. Shaw
                          Designer, owner
                          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Factors?

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                            Why do you think he may have declined or been advised to decline my offer?
                            I mean your offer to become a consultant in exchange for royalties from HL1 Mk4 sales. I know he didn't decline your offer for Harbeth acquisition or we wouldn't be here talking if he did.

Ohh wait... it wasn't his death that prevented it from happening? Or he may have simply wanted to retire and leave all work behind. I don't know the whole story, so I can only guess.

Comment

Two reasons

I can think of two reasons, or a combination of them. Either he really wanted to retire, or he did not expect that the new company would succeed. Designing or helping design new speakers would be a lot of work for only a slim chance of success.

Comment

Clean break?

I would go with willem's suggestion. The accounts show a lean period at the time of your approach. He may not have wanted a continued struggle and was happy for a clean break retirement.

Comment

Working...
                                X