Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

40th Anniversary Announcement - Limited Edition products

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40th Anniversary Announcement - Limited Edition products

Good afternoon HUG!

For those of you following our social media channels you may have seen our very exciting announcement last week regarding our 40th Anniversary Limited Edition products. If not, allow me to tell your more!

The SHL5plus and M40.2 are now available in a Limited Edition walnut veneer with some beautiful added features including - 40th Anniversary limited edition front and back badges; WBT-nextgen binding posts; new look super tweeter with protection bar; Harbeth branded British made audio grade poly capacitors. A matching walnut stand is also available from Hi-Fi Racks Ltd, which you will see in the attached images.

Plus - custom bi-wire links on the SHL5plus; custom Harbeth internal cables and a magnetic 40th Anniversary grille badge.

For further information please visit the new 40th Anniversary page on our website - http://www.harbeth.co.uk/40th-annive...nniversary.php

Online hi-fi magazine, Hi-Fi Pig, have also featured our 40th Anniversary advert alongside a feature all about our 40th Anniversary, on pages 16 and 17 - http://hifipig.com/wp-content/upload...7_FULLBOOK.pdf

We'd love to hear your thoughts and look forward to announcing more exciting developments during this special year.

Emma
    SHL5plus in Limited Edition walnut on matching stand by Hi-Fi Racks Limited Edition 40th Anniversary front badge WBT-nextgen binding posts Harbeth branded audio grade poly capacitors New look super tweeter with protection bar
    Emma Smith
    Brand Manager
    Harbeth Audio UK

Hi,

Do you know if there would be an active speaker in domestic models within this anniversary year?

Thanks,

Comment

Hello

In planning for this year we were looking at the direction we could take Harbeth in 2017 and beyond. We had looked into digitilising some of our products however, to do this to a high standard we would have to do this in-house rather than subcontracting, as many of our competitors do, therefore this is a real time commitment. We need to learn about digital filters and in particular we have got to understand why some sound better than others. None of this information is available in text books. It's trial and error through critical listening and building up our in-house knowledge base, to the same in depth standards as we have with cabinets, drive units and crossovers.

If we could find a young engineer with good ears, a sort of apprentice, Alan would be seriously interested in accelerating this work. This is not however on the plans for 2017, unless his time could be diverted from the User Group!
      Emma Smith
      Brand Manager
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Emma: Does Alan consider these to be performance upgrades to the SHL5+? If so, I would certainly be interested. How does it work for existing SHL5+ owners?

Comment

Originally posted by ssfas View Post
          Emma: Does Alan consider these to be performance upgrades to the SHL5+? If so, I would certainly be interested. How does it work for existing SHL5+ owners?
          It will be the same as when the SHL5+ was introduced - the modifications won't be retro fittable. It's far too expensive and time consuming to send/return, strip down, rebuild and test a pair of speakers.

Comment

I would also be very much interested if in Alan's opinion the anniversary models are superior to the standard ones in sonic terms, or just better looking/equipped/finished.

Have the prices already been confirmed?

Comment

Alan's comments on the 40th Anniversary speakers

It doesn't matter a jot what I think or don't think. I'm not the customer: you are. We've given the market what the market has been asking for for years.

The most essential thing is go to your dealer and hear and judge for yourselves! Ex-factory prices have been fixed, shipments start this month to those who pre-ordered.

Marketing analysis last year - thanks to Emma who looks at these things dispassionately - clearly reveals what subjects excite and enthuse our customers/readers/contributors and what don't. The don't include "education" (in big quotes) and the dos include upgrades and physical manifestations of quality. In this new Brexit/Trump world we find ourselves, it's best that we adapt to what we have influence over, as individuals and as a brand, and let go of what we don't.

I repeat: this is not an issue I want to comment on or will be drawn on. As a team here at Harbeth UK, we've been planning this for months in close collaboration with our distributors. 100% of those seasoned businessmen say that executed properly, our 40th Anniversary Series will be a defining moment in Harbeth's history and they've backed that with very large orders based on their intimate understanding of the retail market.

What I can say is that I've been deeply involved as a team player in the fortnightly planning meetings for the last six months, (all documented and minuted as we are mandated to do as an ISO9001 audited company) and have given these product my total commitment to excellence. I was persuaded - rightly - that cost minimisation was inappropriate and that these 40th speakers had to be our very best shot. Period. That cost-no-barrier thinking is reflected in the retail pricing.

And they are really my very best shot. I'm very proud of them. If you want to be part of the celebration, you'll want these speakers! Quote me on that.

By the way, would you like to see a Gantt chart I have pinned up by my desk relating to the 40th products?
              Alan A. Shaw
              Designer, owner
              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Sure, I want to see the Gantt chart. Thank you for your comments Alan. I already called the local Harbeth distributor yesterday but they had no information regarding the prices and availability of the 40th models yet. Actually I seemed to know a bit more about the 40th products thanks to reading this forum

I'm sure it's a great opportunity to get unique, one and only Harbeths if one has been looking to buy the standard models around this time of the year anyway. What I am not sure is if these models can also be considered worthwhile upgrades for current users of the standard models.

Anniversary models look fantastic, no doubt about it and the pride of ownership is surely second to none! As much as I love my 5+, the walnut veneer on the anniversary models looks really superb...

Comment

I can assure you that your importer was made aware of these upcoming products, along with our 43 other distributors! As I'm the last person in the office now, there is no one for me to ask about availability in your market. But I can assure you that it was made known to the trade well in advance of the public announcement - a hard lesson learned here some years ago!

Here is the new public

advert (attached). Note that we have reintroduced walnut after an absence of some 15 or more years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	289.5 KB ID:	69996
                  I don't need to tell readers that Harbeth is much more than just another audio brand. It's a passion, and for me a working life. With the discovery today that SME, just thirty minutes drive from here and who I have hugely admired as a business for forty five years (since my first 3009) are now in foreign hands with a clean sweep of the board, if we treasure Harbeth and it's independence, we have to grow our business. Then we maximise and extend the control over our independence for as long as possible.
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Prices in the UK have been confirmed as: M40.2 = 14,200, SHL5+ = 4,475 inc VAT.

Comment

Does the anniversary model incorporate a new super tweeter or a new look/cover tweeter? I also wonder about pricing in the US, luckily there is a local Harbeth dealer I will be able to hopefully compare my shl5+ with new anniversary to see what differences I notice. And it should be easier to compare as we can leave the amp at same volume level.

Comment

these ' upgrades" create a wonderful audiophile look, but i am surprised experienced members here think it is will be an improvement in sound quality.
                        but the speaker is very appealing with these beautiful walnut stands and black badge !

Comment

Originally posted by martin1305 View Post
                          these ' upgrades" create a wonderful audiophile look, but i am surprised experienced members here think it is will be an improvement in sound quality.
                          If you're talking about me, I'm not "thinking", just asked about designer's opinion, that's all. Are you not curious at all what he had to say? I certainly was...

I don't really expect the anniversary models to be an upgrade in sound quality, but they look beatiful, are unique and surely are tempting as hell. Stands is the only thing I don't like about them actually; bit too heavy looking and old fashioned to my taste. Perhaps they look better in reality than on the pics, especially if furnishings match...

I love the walnut finish and the new badges are wonderful!

Comment

Milosz, my comment wasn't meant to be personal. I just thought the designer's opinion about these kind of upgrades has been explained many times here.
                            I cannot imagine Alan has tested different binding post's for the best sound quality do yo ?

Comment

Originally posted by martin1305 View Post
                              I cannot imagine Alan has tested different binding post's for the best sound quality do yo ?
                              I can't either, however binding posts is not the only thing that has been upgraded in the anniversary models. As we were informed, there has been many changes in both external and internal components.

Comment

Working...
                              X