Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Seeking Harbeth's oldest user ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Harbeth's oldest user ....

HALUK/PR2007/01 10th January, 2007

Oldest loudspeaker user sought?.

The great British loudspeaker brand Harbeth is about to celebrate its 30th anniversary and is searching for its oldest customer.

?There are going to be people still using the HL Monitor, Harbeth?s first model?, says MD Alan Shaw. ?Such is the longevity of the brand?s loudspeakers. And we are keen to track them down in what is a very special year for us?.

The company was founded in 1977 by a top BBC research engineer which means that engineering knowledge of two generations goes into each Harbeth product today.

Harbeth promises a host of exciting developments throughout its anniversary year and wants customers old and new to be included.

?Our on-line user group is a ready-made forum for our customers (www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup)?, adds Alan. ?But we know there are Harbeth users around the world who can?t easily access the Internet, but we still want to hear from them.?

Today Harbeth is renowned around the globe for its broadcast and hi-fi products. Users include the rich and famous as well as leading radio, TV and recording studios.

?Anyone who thinks they might have the oldest working pair of Harbeth speakers should contact us at once?, urges Alan. ?They are sitting on a piece of audio heritage.?

Harbeth may be reached by email at: [email protected] or at 3, Enterprise Park, Lindfield, West Sussex RH16 2LH.

--ends?

FOR MORE EDITORIAL INFORMATION, images or interview requests, please contact Alan Shaw at Harbeth Audio on +44 (0)1444 484371 or email [email protected]
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Re: Seeking Harbeth's oldest user ....

Greetings Alan,

Re seeking "Harbeths oldest user", just by chance I posted a message on the Harbeths user group under "Ask the designer, Harbeth's history" section only yesterday reminising on meeting Dudley Harwood sitting by his electric fire.

As I explained, I have a pair of HL1's in original condtion still being used on a daily basis. (The original foam grille was replaced with the sculptured MK2/3. I very much doubt if there are any of the originals that have not crumbled away many years ago)

For info, they are Serial Numbers 295 A and B which I bought I think in 1977. Interesting to know where the other 294 are.

Hope I am not the oldest user, but the speakers are knocking on a bit!

Best Regards

Bernie Chesney.

Comment

Re: Seeking Harbeth's oldest user ....

I've replied to your post concerning Mr. Harwood here:

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...inear#post1664
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

OK, so this thread is long out of date but it came up in a search I was doing so thought this might (just) be of (minor) interest.

I am the new owner of a pair of HL1 Mk4 which were originally delivered to the dealer in February 1987.

Their inspection sheet was signed off by Alan Shaw; from reading here it would seem this was not long after AS took over so I found it interesting (ie reassuring) that he was putting his name to the product from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by weaver View Post
          OK, so this thread is long out of date but it came up in a search I was doing so thought this might (just) be of (minor) interest.

I am the new owner of a pair of HL1 Mk4 which were originally delivered to the dealer in February 1987.

Their inspection sheet was signed off by Alan Shaw; from reading here it would seem this was not long after AS took over so I found it interesting (ie reassuring) that he was putting his name to the product from the start.
          I fondly recall my 1st experience with Harbeth when i heard the HL-MK4 back in 1986. It was the model that fired up my interest on Harbeth since then until now! And that was 24 years ago. How time flies.

Comment

Oldest HL monitors? S/n 228

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
            HALUK/PR2007/01 10th January, 2007

Oldest loudspeaker user sought?.

The great British loudspeaker brand Harbeth is about to celebrate its 30th anniversary and is searching for its oldest customer.

?There are going to be people still using the HL Monitor, Harbeth?s first model?, says MD Alan Shaw. ?Such is the longevity of the brand?s loudspeakers. And we are keen to track them down in what is a very special year for us?.

The company was founded in 1977 by a top BBC research engineer which means that engineering knowledge of two generations goes into each Harbeth product today.

Harbeth promises a host of exciting developments throughout its anniversary year and wants customers old and new to be included.

?Our on-line user group is a ready-made forum for our customers (www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup)?, adds Alan. ?But we know there are Harbeth users around the world who can?t easily access the Internet, but we still want to hear from them.?

Today Harbeth is renowned around the globe for its broadcast and hi-fi products. Users include the rich and famous as well as leading radio, TV and recording studios.

?Anyone who thinks they might have the oldest working pair of Harbeth speakers should contact us at once?, urges Alan. ?They are sitting on a piece of audio heritage.?

Harbeth may be reached by email at: [email protected] or at 3, Enterprise Park, Lindfield, West Sussex RH16 2LH.

--ends?

FOR MORE EDITORIAL INFORMATION, images or interview requests, please contact Alan Shaw at Harbeth Audio on +44 (0)1444 484371 or email [email protected]
            I am certainly not Harbeth's oldest user. Well, I hope not at a mere 66...

I do have an old pair of HL Monitors, though. The Serial Numbers are 228 A&B.

It's probably not worth the question, AS, but does Harbeth keep records going back as far as the first HLs produced by Dudley Harwood ?

Comment

Working...
            X