Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Helsinki HifiExpo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helsinki HifiExpo

I visited Helsinki HifiExpo today and listened Harbeth's for the first time. Room was not ideal, not damped enough with too much echo (an ordinary hotel room with wooden floor).

Despite of that Super HL5's sounded so good that I'll arrange a home audition during the coming week. Source and amplification was from Densen.

Pure WAF joy!

I'll have to add that Neil Young's Harvest on cd has never sounded that good to these old ears of mine. And I consider myself being pretty familiar with that sound recording. Let's see, or better say hear, how it'll be at home in a bit more damped environment.

My wife, who's usually against all audio upgrading (how surprising that is ;) ) and who has no interest in audio equipment as such, liked HL5's too and there were no traditional WAF acceptance at play, just pure sound quality. And that says a lot!

Comment

Audition

Picked up Super HL5's for home audition today.

Did some brief and casual listening this evening, but serious stuff will follow during the coming weekend.

Comment

Quote please

Audition done, SHL-5's returned back to the retailer today. And a quote on them and M40.1's received by email a while ago.

Comment

SHL5 - an audiophiles friend

Good stuff ! looking forward to hearing what you ultimately decide. If your room can adequately support M40.1, it doesn't get much better, but, if your room is perhaps a bit smaller (average !) than the SHL5 is a great stopping point. I grabbed my pair and haven't looked back, they are a music lovers speaker first, and yet an audiophiles friend as well, handily conveying the subtle differences from upstream components.

Comment

Demo report

Thanks for sharing. How was the shl5 home demo? Will you home demo the m40.1 as well?
            "Bath with Music"

Comment

More on my home audiotion ...

To shed a bit more light on my home audition, my listening room is our living room about 7m*4.5m of size where all the listening sessions were done. Loudspeakers are located on the long wall, which means that the speakers are pretty close to listening spot (2.5 to 3 metres at the max). On this wall are also windows outside, which make it a bit flexible. Secondly our listening seat (our sofa) is next on the opposite long wall with no additional room behind, just the wall (which is not made of concrete). I guess this is not considered ideal (at least thatís what Iíve read somewhere).

Room itself is pretty, but of course not totally acoustically damped. Being our living room itís not practical to concentrate too much on damping and in our case it actually has happened somewhat accidentally. Our flat panel tv is located between the loudspeakers, but pushed as far back against the wall as possible. My current audio setup set acts as a sort of 2.0 home theatre set at the same time, too. All this to tell you that listening was done in what I feel being quite basic living room, nothing else.

As for the audition itself, I tried to avoid excessive analytical approach and concentrate on listening music itself usually on quite modest sound levels. This is how I do it pretty often anyways in order not to bother our neighbours too much (movies from time to time might be another case). At least I, and my guess is that quite many of us, while having new component on audition do the actual audition on elevated loudness levels. This, IMHO, pretty easily gives a false impression of whatís going on. One hears details which actually have been in the old setup, but went unnoticed due to lower sound pressure levels.

As source I used Pioneer universal player (cdís, sacdís and dvd-aís) and vinyl and tried to concentrate on tried and trusted sound recordings, which Iím very familiar with and avoided unnecessary audio pyrotechnics. No movies this time ever used.

I didnít do any side by side comparison my existing loudspeakers (American transmission line ones with 25 Hz in-room response, which do work surprisingly well in our living room).

What was apparent from the start with the SHL-5ís was the midrange resolution, what was easily heard at these pretty moderate listening levels (no head-banging levels were used at all). My wife, who does not concentrate on analysing the sound itself, but just listens instead, immediately noticed that character too. Based on what Iíve read, after this experience with SHL-5ís I personally do not understand comments about 'British BBC style loudspeakers being dull'. At least to these old ears of mine all the high frequencies that should have been there, were there. Of course SLS-5ís in-room response didnít go as low as 25 Hz, nor to 32 Hz which was actually tested by RCA Living Stereo sacd of Saint-Seans Organ Symphony, where the lowest pipe organ note is at 32 Hz.

All in all, SHL-5ís are loudspeakers which tend not to draw attention onto themselves, but to the music instead giving a natural, unfatiguing listening experience. All these comments are based on a three day not so analytical audition and of course IMHO.

Since market for M40.1ís is very limited in our country, I was unable to audition them since importer didnít have them is stock.

Then again, I went and placed an order on a pair of M40.1ís!

Comment

Listening level and listening acuity

Very nice, M40.1s on order, please tell us how you find these in your space.
                Listening levels. I always reduce the volume when trying out any speaker for the first time. Can't imagine what can be gained from increasing the volume in a trial situation.

Comment

Stock investment?

Well, there is a "market" for the M40.1 now in your country. Perhaps the distributor ccould pluck up courage and buy in a pair for demo ? Might find there's a larger market than he thought.

Comment

Acquiring M40.1

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
                    Well, there is a "market" for the M40.1 now in your country. Perhaps the distributor ccould pluck up courage and buy in a pair for demo ? Might find there's a larger market than he thought.
                    They had a demo pair at some stage earlier this year or last year, can't remember, but they have sold them. Anyhow at that time I didn't have funds available for this kind of aquisition.

According to the local representative they have not sold that many pairs of M40.1's here since they started importing Harbets. And that, if I remeber it correctly, was in 2009 (at the time I joined HUG in 2008 Harbeths were not available here). M40.1's are just too expensive stuff to most.

{Moderator's comment: do remember that the M40.1 is a professional speaker and to get the best from its generous bass response most likely some room absorption at LF will be needed...}

Comment

Feedback awaited ...

Thank you very much to sharing us your home demo experience. I am looking forward to your M40.1 listening impression and review.

Cheers
                      "Bath with Music"

Comment

Thanks

I second keithwwk. thanks for sharing your experience and looking forward to hearing your experience on the M40.1s. Ta.

Comment

Congratulations Matti - M10.1 one year on ...

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
                          I am a happy owner of Rosewood M40.1 since a year now and living in the same northern country as you Matti. (Finland). I bought mine unheard as you Matti only tested the SHL5 at home. There is a market and there should be demos available.
                          My listening environment is a normal living room 6x5 m. I won't be doing any changes as I am really satisfied with the setup.

The only thing I have ongoing is the building of my own stands. That is actually only for the looks. It is a matter of taste of course.
                          So Matti if you need stands I have my Foundation out for sale.

Peter

Comment

Room tuning at LF?

Originally posted by Matti View Post
                            They had a demo pair at some stage earlier this year or last year, can't remember, but they have sold them. Anyhow at that time I didn't have funds available for this kind of aquisition.

According to the local representative they have not sold that many pairs of M40.1's here since they started importing Harbeths. And that, if I remember it correctly, was in 2009 (at the time I joined HUG in 2008 Harbeths were not available here). M40.1's are just too expensive stuff to most.

{Moderator's comment: do remember that the M40.1 is a professional speaker and to get the best from its generous bass response most likely some room absorption at LF will be needed...}
                            I have a listening room of similar proportions. I am very curious how your M 40.1's will turn out without the use of room absorption. I don't even dare to put SHL 5's in my room, because I am afraid I wouldn't get proper bass. I feel my M30's work fine, even pretty close to the back wall.
                            Harbeth M30

Comment

Just arrived M40.1!

My M40.1's arrived to day at last. Rosewood looks absolutely gorgeous. After a very casual listening no regrets getting these ones into my listening room, which is actually our living room.

Works well there, with no apparent - at least to my ears - low frequency problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X