Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

EXTRACTS FROM REVIEWS (on-line and printed)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EXTRACTS FROM REVIEWS (on-line and printed)

I worry about reviewers. The Stereo Times Monitor 30 review was quite fair I thought and very thorough, but showed a complete ignorance of the recording process (despite paragraphs of preamble regarding studio matters) and what I crudely call "the master tape *sound*" which has far more in common with the "stepped reverb" and cold, multi mono qualities he had from his CD players compared to the general lush and measurably dull "Music Maker" cartridge which he prefers.

Back in Alan's and my youth, the mags were far more technically based, but the better reviewers listened too (I'm thinking of the UK mag "HiFi Sound." Sound quality shortcomings were usually easily measured and they weren't frightened to criticise either as I recall.

I think there are more than enough good recordings (and masterings) on both standard CD's and carefully produced LP's for me not to bother comparing. The fact that Harbeths in general don't seem bothered by "audiophoolery " must show you that the design and execution is sound.

Comment

Subjective reviews - the modern way.

Why grumble - it's a fantastic review. Furthermore, the photography is exceptionally good, all undertaken at the magazine's expense by their staff. We here are extremely pleased to have been given such kind attention by Tone Audio. Actually, I've only just discovered that ToneAudio is an on-line (i.e. not printed) magazine. You could not guess that from the production quality as it is as exceptionally lavish - even better produced - than many printed magazines. Excellent layout, perfect photography, and an approachable and fluid writing style.

The world has moved on since the days of Ralph West's HiFi News, where objective reviewing was the order of the day. But so has society. There is little point in 'talking deeply technical' in a review and showing lots of graphs and technical measurements to an audience who have no training of how to read them. Or reviewers who understand how to make reliable measurements. A graph of frequency response can have its vertical (Y) axis so squeezed that it irons out the inevitable wiggles or so expanded that it makes the wiggles seem like mountains; the reader needs certain basic interpretational skills to decode even a simple graph of frequency response. And those skills just don't exist in the general public - why should they? They are tools for designers.

Reviewers reflect the public's interests and concerns they don't lead it, and subjectivism in reviews (for all products) is a sign of the feminisation of science and engineering right across society. The car programme 'Top Gear' is a example of the modern approach to reviewing: 100% subjective. When did you see them actually look at the engine or discuss how it works let alone the engineering numbers concerning torque etc.? Never?

Let's admit it David - subjective reviewing is here to stay, and as our speakers sound great we have nothing to fear from that. We're just appreciative of the publicity.
      Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

July copy of Magazine Son & Image features a review of a Harbeth C7ES3 on Skylan stands with Lavardin IT and Naim CDX2 CD player.

A very interesting combination.

http://www.son-et-image.com/page/2/

There is a scanned copy of the magazine review at the Lavardin website.
        http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-itE.html

Any chance (please, please, please) someone here could translate or summarise the review? Many thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by do_Ob View Post
          July copy of Magazine Son & Image features a review of a Harbeth C7ES3 on Skylan stands with Lavardin IT and Naim CDX2 CD player.

A very interesting combination.

http://www.son-et-image.com/page/2/

There is a scanned copy of the magazine review at the Lavardin website.
          http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-itE.html

Any chance (please, please, please) someone here could translate or summarise the review? Many thanks in advance!

Hi do Ob.

H?! You don't read in french? I'm jocking. Don't bother with this copy because it's not complete. To read the conclusion, you have to buy the magazine. So where did you have this information in Autralia?

Comment

Hi MDALL,

I've read what was featured in the magazine's website using an online translator program. I'm kind of curious what the conclusion is since I am looking at a system like the one being reviewed. The magazine is available locally... but is no use to me. I need a French language translator.

I originally found the scanned copy from the Lavardin website. I am hoping someone could translate this scanned copy and then I'd be very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by do_Ob View Post
              Hi MDALL,

I've read what was featured in the magazine's website using an online translator program. I'm kind of curious what the conclusion is since I am looking at a system like the one being reviewed. The magazine is available locally... but is no use to me. I need a French language translator.

I originally found the scanned copy from the Lavardin website. I am hoping someone could translate this scanned copy and then I'd be very happy.
              Here is a PDF of an english magazine from Montreal. They tested the SHL5 and like it a lot. You can read the entire article on pages 47-48-49. http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue84/UHF84.pdf

For my part, I am also testing now the SHL5 for an another french magazine and my conclusion is simple, I bought a pair of that speaker. Sorry to give you the punch before my article will be published this autumn.

Comment

Monitor 40.1 praised by 'Stereophile' magazine

Stereophile, the US audio magazine with a worldwide following, has given a glowing review to the Harbeth flagship model. In his assessment of the M40.1 critic Art Dudley says:....

"I have never heard a speaker reproduce the sounds of voices and acoustic instruments with less timbral distortion or more textural realism..."

and

"Brass instruments had almost shockingly believable color, and just the right balance of bite and natural decay. The sounds of fretted instruments such as guitar, mandolin, and banjo?things I hear almost every day in real life?were convincingly real and consistently enjoyable. Violins, solo or massed, never sounded righter to me than through the M40.1."

High praise indeed from a highly experienced writer and reviewer who knows the entire marketplace.

You can read his entire review on-line at Stereophile's highly informative website
                http://www.stereophile.com/standloud...har/index.html. Be sure to read Alan's comprehensive comments in the Manufacturer's Response and Manufacturer's Comments Again section for a technical discussion about Stereophile's measurement technique v. Harbeth's BBC anechoic chamber measurements.

For more comments and discussion of this particular review on the Harbeth User Group go here
                Harbeth PR,
                Harbeth UK

Comment

Re: Moniror 40.1 enjoyed by Robert E. Green of TAS

The Absolute Sound, Monitor 40.1, February 2009
                  Review by Robert E. Greene

Selected quotations:

"...a standard of the world in reproducing the true sound of musical instruments and revealing the real sound of recordings."

"Many are called but few are chosen. The M40.1 smoothly inherits the M40's place among those chosen few.The King is dead, long live the King."

"It is a startling experience to sit in front of these large boxes and hear sound that has no box character at all, and observe images that are suspended with utter independence of speaker location...."

"The quality of being 'open' is something of an audio cliche, but here it is."

"As befits a monitor, the M40.1 is a neutral speaker, but it is not an in-your-face one."
                  Harbeth PR,
                  Harbeth UK

Comment

More positive P3ESR reviews

Solid review of the P3ESR. I own a pair and find the reviewer spot on!!

http://www.hifizine.com/2011/12/harbeth-p3esr/

Comment

Stereoplay Magazine April 2015

Very good review of the SHL5+ in the April edition of the German Stereoplay magazine. SHL5+ have been admitted to the "Absolute Spitzenklasse" category along with the loudspeakers costing 3-4 times as much.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Unqualified reviewers

Hello Milosz...

As a retailer we have to read this Reviews unfortunaltely. I think this review is unbelievable bad. Not the Result, but the way they handle the "Cult-Speaker" Harbeth. No word about the Tradition, No word about the Stands they were placed on (which is an very important point) and No information with which Equipment they played. In our Opinion this is just made like "Audio-Fast-Food". Two sides, one of them filled up with a huge Picture and more or less 3 or 4 sentences depending in the sound of the Speaker.

There are more and more unqualified Magazines in Germany like Stereoplay. As a user you can`t use it as Information. This Süsskind-Speaker in the same Test nearly gets the same Result as the Harbeth !!! (and it will be not nearly as good as the Harbeth).

The "normal" customer will see the Süsskind as the Winner of this Test because she only costs 2400.-- Euro per Pair. When you listen to it it will be a large difference between the Süsskind and the Harbeth.

We at Hifi-Bauerhof look very critical to these kind of Tests.... But... The 5+ belongs to the "Absolute Spitzenklasse"

kind regards
                        Michael

Comment

Nuances

Hello Michael,

Thank you for the accurate information regarding the review in Stereoplay. I should have said "positive", not "good" review but it was only roughly translated for me by a friend since I'm not fluent in German, so I didn't quite see all the nuances in it. You are perfectly right about modern audiophile press reviews though and I can see the same trends in Poland. I never base my purchase decisions on the reviews, good or bad and I did the same with the SHL5+. They haven't been reviewed in the Polish audiophile press as yet and I bought them before the April edition of the Stereoplay got issued.

It is nice to know they belong to the "Absolute Spitzenklasse" though

kind regards
                          Milosz

Comment

Enjoy!

Hello Milosz,

Yes i know that a experienced Listener NEVER would buy a Speaker because of a Test. Unfortunately the "fresh" Customers do this!!! Thats why Nubert and Teufel in Germany are hugely successful. And it is acoustical physical injury for us. But like the Magazines in Poland too, the German Magazine all depend on Advertisements from the different Distribution. They spend a lot of Money for "getting a good Test". You can easily say it is payed Test-Victory....

I Use my third 5. First the "normal" 5, then the Anniversary 5 and since at about 3 Months the 5 Plus and i lean back and watch the weekly New TEST-WINNERS from far above.

Enjoy your Harbeth... Nobody needs more...

kind regards
                            Michael

Comment

40.2 - Product of the Year 2015

The 40.2 has been named Product of the Year on this site, which is a site that I am not familiar with, though:

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardwa...r-2015-various

Comment

Harbeth dynamics

Originally posted by oes77 View Post
                                The 40.2 has been named Product of the Year on this site, which is a site that I am not familiar with, though:

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardwa...r-2015-various
                                I've read a few reviews from this site and they seem to be almost entirely subjective.

The chap who reviewed the M40.2 (Rene van Els) chose them as their loudspeaker of the year. His comments seem poetic and meaningless, but he obviously liked them - who wouldn't? He reviewed the P3ESR and bought a pair. He also reviewed the SHL5+. His conclusion said everything to suggest it did exactly what a loudspeaker should do, and then said it wasn't lively enough for pop music !! Well, there's no pleasing some people.
                                http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardwa...us-loudspeaker

If you look at the details of his own system, for the last two years he has been using a £12,000 pair of transmission line "Brand.12" loudspeakers. (We know AS considers transmission line to be fundamentally flawed.) His review of those was effusive and he bought a pair after having them on demo. He had the earlier model "Brand.8" before getting the "Brand.12", also transmission line. I had a pair of "Brand.8" before getting SHL5+ and the main problem with "Brand.8" was the sound collapsing at low volume, so I always had them on loud or louder. That's where Harbeth score so well - when played at low volume the dynamics are retained. The SHL5+ are half the price of "Brand.8" and twice as good.

Mr van Els' full review does not yet seem to be published. I wonder if he's bought a pair. I'll send him an email and ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X