Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Music to play at Harbeth public exhibitions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music to play at Harbeth public exhibitions

What would you like to hear at exhibit

I suggest:

Michael Jackson, Bad: The Way You Make Me Feel
    Deep Purple with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Third Movement: Vivace - Presto
    Buddy Guy, Sweet Tea: Baby Please Don't Leave Me
    Karrin Allyson, Collage: And So It Goes
    Diana Jones, My Remembrance Of You: Cold Grey Ground
    Charlie Haden, Liberation Music Orchestra: We Shall Overcome
    Charlie Haden Family & Friends, Rambling Boy: Single Girl, Married Girl
    Steeleye Span, All Around My Hat: All Around My Hat
    Fairport Convention, What We Did On Our Holidays; Mr. Lacey

http://open.spotify.com/user/1123819...r5Wg5WbOpbvTDk
    Last edited by chirhonix; 07-01-2015, 11:06 PM. Reason: URL added

Music to play at Harbeth public exhibitions

In a parallel thread we have touched on the subject of what electronics should we be associated with in a Harbeth-UK managed/funded show.

What about the choice of music? There are, just as with electronics, some issues.
    1. The public are free to come and go at will. This means that they are dipping into and out of performances, and may arrive at a quiet moment which does not excite and may not linger long enough for the music to perk up
    2. The wholly untreated hotel bedroom room acoustics are not conducive to bass-heavy music
    3. The subjective sonic damping in the room is primarily provided by the human bodies present. This makes consistency of sound impossible to maintain
    4. Public musical tastes are wide and unpredictable through the show and it is unwise to make too many assumptions
    5. Most listeners will, to a reasonable degree, tolerate/endure music that is not of their taste if it is only for a few minutes
    6. Some listeners bring their own CDs. We have always been accommodating of own-CDs as an opportunity to showcase of our speakers but sadly, the recording quality of these pet pieces is often extremely poor. They may well have a strong emotional attraction, but they usually clear the room in a minute or two and do nothing for our product reputation. For example, thrash and techno are interesting sounds but not relevant to our typical buyer, and many pre-digital recordings, even mastered to CD, are often so lacking in detail, HF and air that they are, after long exposure to pristine digital recordings, painful or even embarrassing to play because they are so dull: all bass and no sparkle
    7. As discovered at the KJ and Guildford Audio demonstrations in the summer of 2014, explaining what to listen for, playing the clip and then discussing it afterwards, seemed to work very well, but that was with a group of ten or so, under invitation-only conditions
    8. We cannot be all things to all men or play all music to all men! We have to take a view on what is most likely to be listened to by our customers at home and that tends to mean music that they can immerse themselves in for relaxation and contemplation. That tends to bias our choice away from rock/pop

There are four factors that have equal prominence in our consideration of music selection:

A) The recording must be first class - dynamic, open, fresh, airy and natural. For me that's vital. I'm not too fussed what musical genre - I just like sound - but the recording quality has to be A1.
    B) The clip must not be for more than, say, 10 minutes maximum
    C) It must be convenient to arrange a continuous flow of music (pre-planned) because it is not possible to engage in meaningful discussion with visitors if one is dancing around swapping discs
    D) The music must be relevant (or expected to be relevant) for the demography of our typical buyers
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

?????

Mozart pianoconcertos ( second part/andante) Uchida/Tate, beautiful recording and performance. You can focus on the music but also pleasent and relaxed in the background.

Bach celloconcertos last recording Wispelwey, the sound of the cello is impressive and intense.

Keith Jarrett trio/The Cure; nice mix of the piano,bass and drums or Jamie Saft/astaroth/ bael-peor.... mmm..this thread won't help you.

Comment

Mahler - haunting

My choice, which hopefully fits Alan's criteria, is 2nd movement of Mahler's 7th Symphony. I have many recordings of this work, but I always go back to Claudio Abbado with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on DG label, 1984, recording engineer was Karl-August Naegler (a golden ear if ever there was one).

This movement is longer than 10 minutes, but on this version the movement is split into 4 tracks, (so to play more than one of them you need gapless playback).

What does this piece have going for it?

It is well recorded, can make the speakers completely vanish, dynamic, has lots of brass (a good test of a speaker system as discussed in another HUG thread), most of the audience will be familiar with it, (it was used for many years in a TV advertising campaign for Castrol GTX motor oil). When I heard this in the TV advertising campaign of Castrol I found it haunting and I just wanted to hear the full piece. It then became a favourite of mine.

Comment

Buena Vista....

I like the Mahler suggestion.

I am going to recommend something a bit unusual maybe. Buena Vista Social Club. The music is great but the sound they get is also really amazing, fantastic recording. Great soundstage should really show off Harbeth speakers.

Comment

Cater for everyone!

You need to play a variety of music - Jazz, Rock, Classical, Blues and folk, as not all prospective purchasers are Classical lovers.

And long pieces are not a good idea because people get bored, especially if it's music they don't like. You need something for everyone.

Comment

Music at previous shows?

What music has been used at past shows?

I have never been to one of these events, but am now planning to attend Bristol out of curiosity. It'll be interesting to hear what choices of music different manufacturers make. I doubt whether I will be able to afford any new equipment but it might well be an inspiration in terms of finding quality recordings.

{Moderator's comment: Imagine Bedlam. Wrong music, too loud, too competitive, too much of it.}

Comment

Preview?

No brass instruments mentioned?

I'm wondering if there is a way we can preview any of these musical suggestions.
                Alan A. Shaw
                Designer, owner
                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Mahler

I can upload the first chunk of the Mahler (3 min 53 sec) to my dropbox. I will PM the link later so you can download it for preview. It is a flac file 16 bit 44.1 kHz.

Comment

Classical previews

Originally posted by A.S. View Post

I'm wondering if there is a way we can preview any of these musical suggestions.
                    ??? that's what I meant with .... mmm..this thread won't help you, but

I mostly listen previews on this dutch site -www.bol.com-, but there must be many others.

Brass instruments, I really like Benny Goodman here: Stravinsky, ebony concert for clarinet solo and big band II, andante ( chamber music and hist.rec.vol.1, cd 9 of the box).

Old recording but when you hear it you won't believe it, sound is spectacular!

Comment

More suggestions

I agree that the Wispelwey recording of the Bach Cello Suites would be a good idea. The Janos Starker Mercury recording is also impressive, especially with regard to sound. Here are some other suggestions, each chosen for sound quality, performance and general accessibility:

1. Berwald, Piano Quartet no 1 in C minor (1st movement), The Gaudier Ensemble (Hyperion CDA66835)
                      2. Poulenc, Concerto for Two Pianos, Martha Argerich and Alexander Gurning (Larghetto), Martha Argerich: Lugano Concertos (DG 4779884 CD 1)
                      3. Canteloube, Chants D'Auvergne, Kiri Te Kanawa, English Chamber Orchestra, Jeffrey Tate (Decca 410004-1)
                      4. Debussy, Suite Bergamasque, Noriko Ogawa, Debussy, The Solo Piano Works (BIS 1955/56 CD 1)
                      5. Part, Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten, Staatsorchester Stuttgart, Davies (ECM New Series 1275) [This is also on an ECM sampler, ECM 1405, which has a number of superb pieces, both in terms of sound and performance)
                      6. Faure, Requiem, Nigel Short, London Symphony Chamber Ensemble (LSO Live LSO 0728)
                      7. Jacques Lousier Plays Bach, (Telarc Jazz CD-83411)
                      8. Tord Gustavsen, Changing Places (ECM 1834)
                      9. Marc Johnson, Shades of Jade (ECM LC 02516)
                      10. Giovani Gabrielli, Guiseppe Guami, Conzoi Da Sonore, Hyperion XX (EMI CDM 7631412) (plenty of brass here!)

I hope these help. I could make sample thumbdisk if you like, Alan.

David

{Moderator's comment: Would much appreciate clips}

Comment

Natural?

"Dynamic, open, fresh, airy and natural"...

There are many classical recordings with those characteristics - especially Decca classical and Columbia jazz recordings - but I am struggling to think of pop CDs with that kind of sound apart from the clichéd Steely Dan 'Aja' and Pink Floyd 'Dark Side of the Moon' (Donald Fagen's 'The Nightfly' is also right out!).

The last quality, 'natural', is really a problem because even the most outstanding pop albums relied on electromechanical plates or digital reverb to create space.

I would recommend 'And Dream of Sheep' from the Kate Bush album 'Hounds of Love' as it is brief, sounds good and might even stir some long dormant emotions in the hi-fi 'massive'.

Comment

Short previews on Amazon

I think Bach's Cello Suites arranged for Baritone Sax are fabulous. It is closely miked so you can hear the breathy sounds and the keys clattering, in reminds me of when I used to play in a band and stand next to our sax player. It always amused me when after a solo he would turn the horn upside down to drain out the saliva. (He was very meticulous).

You can preview this wonderful music here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Cello-S...k+van+twillert

EDIT - It just dawned on me that the Saxophone is part of the woodwind family.

Comment

Brass - 1

I suggest "Renaissance Men" by The Canadian Brass.

On Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Me...dp/B0013AYTL2/
                            On Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/61tD3lpUtf0Va1MF1LTEb5

Comment

Some AC/DC maybe?

This suggestion is a little bit tongue in cheek; nonetheless, it could be interesting to hear at a hi-fi show.

Try playing AC/DC's song "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)", just for fun as well as to showcase the capabilities of Harbeth loudspeakers. It has some interesting bagpipes in the recording, which might grab people's attention, from the novelty if not the sound of the bagpipes themselves mixed in with a blues rock song.

Note that the three brothers Malcolm, Angus, and George Young were born in Glasgow, Scotland, before moving to Sydney, so the bagpipes were indicative of their Scottish heritage.

Comment

Working...
                              X