Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

P3ESR at work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3ESR at work

I work in a medium sized post production house where most of the audio monitoring is on Harbeth speakers ? M40 active in the main suites and M30 in the editing rooms. The audio suites are also equipped with secondary monitoring (for pre-hear plus other miscellaneous tasks) and a tertiary system for domestic quality checking. When discussing the need to replace the secondary system in one of the suites, Alan Shaw invited us to try his new baby, the P3ESR, in which he obviously had the pride of a new father! ?Why not??, we said. A few days later, the neatly and sturdily packaged box arrived. I had never worked with a speaker this diminutive in a serious professional capacity and my expectations were not great. I mounted the P3ESRs in the gap between either side of the 43? LCD telly and the main M40 speakers. The position of the latter results in an angle of about 60? subtended at the main listening seat (listener and the speakers form a roughly equilateral triangle) so the angle subtended by the P3ESR to the same seat is about 40? in a somewhat more isosceles configuration.

Once the new babies were powered up, the first thing that the colleague (not an audio pro) who was assisting me remarked, was that only one was working. Oooerrr! I got up from crouching behind the console (where the amps are stashed) to take a place alongside him and it was immediately apparent what he meant ? the central mono image was so clear and sharp that it really did seem as though the sound was emanating from a single, centrally placed speaker. No matter what further comments I make, let it be known that the solidity of the central image when these two little beauties are fed in mono is better than on any speakers I have yet heard.

The first test I tend to use for any new speaker is to play some simple quiet male speech recorded without too much treatment (equalisation etc.), listen to it for a few minutes then ask myself a simple question. Could I convince myself that this really is a bloke talking from the other side of the room? Now it must be said that most of the speakers I?ve tried, fail at this point. This is an amazingly sensitive and critical test and Harbeths are amongst the few brands that consistently do well and the P3ESR indeed did so.

Now Alan goes on about how good the bass is, so what better to disprove this absurdity than the Saint-Sa?ns Organ Symphony. Half an hour later, I have to admit Alan is right. The Tymps. sound stunningly powerful, yet detailed. The lower strings have fullness, depth and precision. The upper strings are not harsh in the slightest. The brass is bright and clean ? the sense of rasp in the trombones is moving. And the organ? Yes please!

But the quality that really shines through it how the sound escapes the confines of the shoebox-sized cabinets in all three dimensions with such a great sense of ease. If this quality of imagery is obtained in our not-too-wonderful room (there are a lot of nasty obstructions to cause unwanted reflections from electronic equipment racks, mixing desk etc.), what can be achieved in a far more friendly domestic environment?

Over the last few weeks I have used the P3ESRs to monitor several jobs. At first I was always careful to refer back to the M40s as a precaution but with the passage of time it became increasingly obvious that this was unnecessary. Sure, the M40s go about half an octave deeper in my estimation and certainly significantly louder should you have a need for the extra, but not necessarily desirable, volume. But given that the P3ESR is about one-tenth of the cabinet volume and an eighth of the cost of the passive M40.1 there can be no doubt that this little speaker is a stunning achievement if ?natural? is high on your list of requirements. The diminutive size will obviously help if lack of intrusion in the domestic setting is desirable.

Alan, I hope that Harbeth (and you personally) do well with your new baby, which can only enhance the reputation already enjoyed by what is often called the ?Harbeth sound?. What ?Harbeth sound? I say? How can you accuse one of the most natural sounding loudspeakers made today of having a ?sound??

P3ESR for use in video post production

What a great review. I know it's been some time since the above post, but this is my first post here...

I'm a (post production video) editor in NYC, and today I heard a pair of PS3ERs for the first time. I'm selecting speakers for home, and these are easily on the top of the list.

I'm not sure if all post production houses overseas use Harbeth, but if so, I have to relocate! The post house where I work, just went with Genelecs - Over the years I've heard them many times in mix houses and studios, and I never really liked them. Harbeths are the first monitors that I've heard that I could probably listen to all day at work, and at home!

I just had a quick demo over lunch, but I'm going back to the store with some CDs and I'm going to sit with them for a while...

Comment

The HUG post-counter

If you see the post above. The counter shows 0. So , my posts were not missing or deleted as I said before but there's something wrong with the counter. One small bug. By the way, I checked other forums using similar format like HUG and found out their search engines are equally cumbersome.

ST

{Moderators comment: noted. As we stated before, we have not deliberately deleted your posts.}

Comment

As close to reality as possible ....

Thanks for sharing Pluto. Thoroughly enjoyable read. I like the way how you realistically put it that speakers are really only an approximation of an event and how the Harbeths are as close to what’s behind the glass as can be. If this approximation helps you to do your work better and for many of us here to explore, enjoy and discover more music it is pretty awesome.

Comment

Post production

Originally posted by Pluto View Post
          [FONT=Arial]I work in a medium sized post production house where most of the audio monitoring is on Harbeth speakers ?
          Pluto, are you able to make a comprison between the P3ESR and small monitors comonly used in studios and made by companies like Genelec and Dynaudio?

Comment

Working...
          X