Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

In-store event at Hi-Fi Corner, Edinburgh - 29th June 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-store event at Hi-Fi Corner, Edinburgh - 29th June 2017

Good afternoon HUG

I'm delighted to share that we will be holding an in-store event at our Scottish dealer, Hi-Fi Corner, on Thursday 29th June, at their Edinburgh store.

Alan will be demonstrating the SHL5plus anniversary model with a playlist of carefully selected tracks, each with sonic characteristics to showcase what Harbeth speakers are capable of. There will also be a talk on the brand's history and what goes in to making our speakers.

To finish, there will be a Q&A session with Alan and every guest will receive a signed certificate of attendance.

Admission is free with drinks and nibbles also provided. There are limited spaces available so please register if you would like to attend.
    Eventbrite - Hi-Fi Corner Edinburgh presents Meet Harbeth Audio - Thursday, 29 June 2017 at Hi-Fi Corner. Find event and ticket information.
    Emma Smith
    Brand Manager
    Harbeth Audio UK

I've spent the morning preparing material for tomorrow evening. Obviously, music is highly personal and anything I select will be within my own sphere of reference (or pleasure) and it's almost all 'acoustic' because acoustic music, unlike pop music, is not synthetic - we can really only judge the recording (and hence replay fidelity) with material that sounds as it would do were we at the recording.

I have assembled a couple of a tracks demonstrating what it sounds like when you play high dynamic music that needs oodles of amplifier power to accelerate the speaker cones over an underpowered or clipped amplifier. My observation is that the low-dynamic rendition has the illusion of being "fatter" and "warmer". But of course, that is merely a subjective sensation. It's easy to look at the recorded waveform and see just how dynamically crushed it is.

The depressing thing is that to the ordinary ear, the high dynamic original content is practically indistinguishable from the dynamically crushed version. As we know by the selection (and adoration) of tiny audio amplifiers, not only can folk not recognise and reject narrow dynamic range when they hear it, they may actually prefer it. Lucky for the music industry then.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

I've loaned CD's from the local library which have been pretty much unbearable to listen to, a wall of compressed sound, the only way to manage the recording is to play at lower volumes. A good dynamic recording compels me to turn up the volume, not reduce it.
      Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Well, I'm in complete agreement with you. We'll be spending quite a bit of time discussing dynamic range tomorrow evening, and of course, I have audio examples from Megadeath upwards which have taken the day to prepare. It'll be easier on the ears to demonstrate the reverse situation - taking a wide dynamic range signal and crushing it down into a low dynamic one. But first, we have to do a little bit of explanation about what the nice pictures actually mean. I think that it's extremely important to do some foundation building to carry the entire audience along. Apologies if it's too basic, but it's really important to leave with food for thought.

Source: as per both of our rooms at Bristorl - one of my Astell & Kern Junior which I'll bring along supplying WAV files, 16 bit, 44.1kHz, bog std. CD quality.

We'll be recording the event in 4k. I bought a 128G Class 10 90/60Mbit SD card today. It recorded over four hours continuosuly, plenty for tomorrow evening.
        Alan A. Shaw
        Designer, owner
        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Hi, Alan,

I'm really interested in this 4k recording.

Comment

Originally posted by chirhonix View Post
            Hi, Alan, I'm really interested in this 4k recording.
            Gulp. No pressure then! I better not be controversial if it's going to get a public airing!
            Alan A. Shaw
            Designer, owner
            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
              Gulp. No pressure then! I better not be controversial if it's going to get a public airing!
              Good lecture is worth gold. Do not bother with golden ears and gold diggers as well as their buzz at all .

ATB

Comment

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                unfortunately in todays post fact culture everything and anything can be 'controversial' so I thoroughly recommend you are.

edit: I notice that particularly in news media the word controversial is often used to introduce a topic that is not actually controversial but the word is used to set the scene for a dissenting though un evidenced position but that seems to have the effect of immediately casting significant doubt on the evidenced position by the lay audience. It is a dangerous precedent.
                Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Hadn't thought of that! I'll use that as my opening gambit! Thanks
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

So what do you think Alan? Did they pick up the message?

Comment

Working...
                    X