Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth prize winners in Japan's Stereo Sound magazine, "No.177 Winter 2011"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harbeth in Korea too. Old magazine reprint from 1986 approx.

Originally posted by harbethpr View Post
    ... little Harbeth Audio Ltd. is the only wholly British owned company to win a Stereo Sound Grand Prix award 2010.
    A look deep into the archive this morning exposed an article on the HL Mk4 (in production about 1986) in a Korean magazine. Also a picture of our founder Dudley Harwood. This article must have appeared about 1986/7. Harbeth's very first markets back in the late 70's were Japan, then Hong Kong/China, Korea and so on.
    Attached Files
    Harbeth PR,
    Harbeth UK

Comment

P3ESR home demo! Must have!

That's great! Congratulations! Now I am tempted to get Sam to bring the babies to my place for a demo.

ST

Comment

It is tempting to get one!

Comment

Back from Japan with Stereo Sound P3ESR award.

Well, I am back in the UK attending the award ceremony at Stereo Sound magazine in Tokyo with our P3ESR award. Pictures etc. to follow. I gave four interviews when I was in Japan with the top audio magazines and focused on the design of the P3ESR ('how come so much bass and midrange clarity?'), and global sales results etc. etc.. Thanks to all, and especially Sasamoto san of Harbeth Japan for his energy, enthusiasm and good company.

It was self-evident when in Japan visiting retailers, wholesalers and the media that there is growing curiosity about 'Harbeth's BBC legacy' and a hunger for even more historical and current information about why and how we design the way we do. So, it is my intention to redouble our efforts to communicate just that and to throw more light on the archive, which as I mentioned in Japan, is much easier to do now that about half of it (12500 sheets) has been scanned into searchable PDFs.

Thanks to all in Japan for such a rewarding and friendly visit. Full write-up in next newsletter. Attached picture of Sasamoto san (Harbeth Japan), looking-on is the late Morita san, founder of MACE Corp. Harbeth's Tokyo/Osaka wholesaler, a wise, kind and much-missed and hugely enthusiastic supporter of Harbeth in Japan and myself.

>
          Attached Files
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Several P3ESR reviews from Japan during 2010 ... 1) Stereo mangazine

Here's one, from Stereo magazine. It translates as "excellent"!
            Attached Files
            Harbeth PR,
            Harbeth UK

Comment

Japanese translation ....

Gokurosama deshita!

(Japanese expression, not directly translatable but means something like "thanks for your hard work, effort and sacrifice".)

Comment

Record Geijutsu, Japan P3ESR review

Many thanks for the translation. We really appreciate it.

Here is another cutting, from Record Geijutsu magazine from Japan. Again interesting how the Japanese magazines really dig into the heart of the speaker.

We've recently pulled together 25+ years of press cuttings into five very large scrap books. By far the majority of press coverage of Harbeth products have been published in Japanese, one of the most challenging consumer electronics markets in the world.
                Attached Files
                Harbeth PR,
                Harbeth UK

Comment

P3ESR in Stereophile Loudspeaker of the Year 2010 v. Wilson Audio at 12x price

Congratulations to everyone at Harbeth!

Incidentally, the P3ESR was a runner-up in Stereophile's Loudspeaker of the Year awards for 2010. The category was won by a Wilson Audio speaker that cost roughly 12 times the P3ESR's price in the US. Clearly, you guys are doing something right!

Comment

StereoSound - translation as "excellent"

Originally posted by harbethpr View Post
                    Here's one, from Stereo magazine. It translates as "excellent"!
                    I thought that this article was translated. Is it possible to get it translated?

Sebastien

Comment

Working...
                    X