Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Sales and availability in your market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales and availability in your market

This thread relates to Harbeth's availability, or not, in particular countries. Also changes in Harbeth's distribution or distribution policies.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Taiwan - the official situation, Summer 2011

It is very rare for Harbeth to make changes to our existing global distribution. Several of our distributors have been with us for over twenty years and many for ten years or more. This has given our brand great stability in the market place. Our distributors abide by the non-negotiable golden rule that speakers shipped from Harbeth UK to a particular overseas market must stay in the market they were built and marked for. This gives us proper control over the warranty situation.

For several years we have been tracing serial numbers for speakers sold to Taiwan that have mysteriously emerged in other completely unrelated markets. That is unacceptable. The consumer loses out because the warranty he thought he had is not transferable outside Taiwan. SO he is in fact buying without warranty and in the (admittedly) rare case that after care is needed, he will not be able to rely on the supplier. A batch of recent serial numbers provided irrefutable evidence of this organised leakage, as a result of which we accepted the unreserved written apology and gracious resignation of Cozy AV Company in Taipei. A pity.

We have handed the responsibility for Harbeth sales in Taiwan to our trusted friends at Garner Company, Harbeth's long time Hong Kong distributor and they are interviewing for a new suitable local importer for Taiwan. Fresh stock will be supplied from Hong Kong to the new official importer in Taiwan with our full consent, and the serial numbers of these transferred goods will be carefully recorded. Providing that new Taiwanese customers return the warranty card to Garner in Hong Kong within seven days, they will be able to register for the full extended warranty (first owner only) on the Harbeth web site.

Please exercise extreme caution during this transition phase. You can have total confidence and trust in Garner Company (who visited Harbeth UK recently).

Contact details are: Garner Company, Hong Kong (Henry and Peter Chan) + (852) 2543 2789
    Garner email: [email protected]

Do not hand over money to any person purporting to represent Harbeth in Taiwan other than Garner Company. Do not become involved in buying second hand (used) Harbeth speakers. Do not be tempted to sell your speakers for cash to the second hand market. When a new, official Taiwan distributor is appointed, you will be able to read about it here.

If in doubt, call the Chans at Garner.

Thanks,

Alan
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Availability in the USA

I ordered a pair of Compact 7s from my local dealer here in Seattle, Washington State back in January and they have yet to show up. Is that typical?

{Moderator's comment: It may be. The lead time is currently over 40 weeks. It all depends upon how much planning your retailer/importer does. Does he control the market or the market control him/her? Even so, sounds like you should investigate. Is there enough product going to the USA? Maybe it sells out quickly and can't be replenished fast enough. That is not your problem though.}

Comment

Alan has investigated this situation for you. There is a background story (nothing of your doing at all). Please can you contact Fidelis, Harbeth's importer in the USA who is aware of your needs. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Comment

Now that's real customer service!

It is almost unbelievable in this day that the owner/principal designer of a company would take the time to investigate something like this for an individual customer. Each day we're bombarded with marketing telling us how committed some company is to customer service. But in Harbeth's case, this actually means something!

@Alan and HUG-1: Thank you so much for your assistance in this matter. I spoke with Fidelis and all is well. My C7s and P3s are on the way! (I have had demo loaners from my dealer all this time.)

Originally posted by HUG-1 View Post
          Alan has investigated this situation for you. There is a background story (nothing of your doing at all). Please can you contact Fidelis, Harbeth's importer in the USA who is aware of your needs. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Comment

M30 and its fans

I recently purchased the last Monitor 30 from my dealer in Canada (and they're incredible). The dealer indicated that they are quite rare compared to the other models and they have difficulty stocking them, although it's one of their favorite models.

Although I can't imagine selling these beautiful speakers anytime soon, I am a bit curious if they're harder to stock due to insufficient demand, which would make them more difficult to resell (through my dealer, of course), or if it's a production/distribution-related factor? Thanks.

Comment

Production timing

I stand to be corrected but IMO, the Monitor 30 is no 'rarer' than any others in the range. If I sell a pair tomorrow, I wouldn't expect to wait any longer for a pair than any other model.

I do know that the waiting time for the Monitor 40.1 is longer than the others because they take so much time to make. Apparently, they take a whole work-bench when being assembled and in the time to make a pair, 8 pairs of the P3ESR can be constructed.

Comment

M30 v. SHL5 user choice

Hello, daryl

I, too, am a Monitor 30 owner, and have always thought of them as the unsung hero of the Harbeth line. At the same price, the SHL 5 probably makes more sense to more people. But in the right room, with the right ancillary equipment, these speakers can be all that anyone needs. They will be my last speaker.

Enjoy!

Comment

Horses for courses. Each model in the range has it's place and use.

Comment

Manitoba, Canada calling .....

I'm from Manitoba, Canada. the nearest dealer is in Ontario and they only offer in-store sales and service. I would like to audition M30 and SLH5, hope you could inform me if there's a dealer here in my area... Thanks!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Comment

Canada dealers

Hi JTC,

The Canadian Importer of Harbeth, http://www.planetofsoundonline.com/ has a list of dealers on his site and you just type in your Postal Code to find the nearest dealer to you.

Cheers,
                      Noel.

Comment

Lead time?

Hello!

Since there is no Harbeth dealer in Latvia, I contacted the dealer in Poland. According to them, waiting period for Harbeths is 10-12 months!?!? Is this for real?

Toms

{Moderator's comment: it depends. Many customers plan their orders 1-2 years ahead, month by month. So for them the delivery is regular, monthly. But if a distributor does not place planned orders then the back end of the queue is indeed about 10-12 months for unscheduled, unplanned, unexpected orders. 90% of distributors have regular, planned monthly/quarterly drops so there is no surprising waiting time for the end customer.}

Comment

Harbeth in San Francisco?

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                          This thread relates to Harbeth's availability, or not, in particular countries. Also changes in Harbeth's distribution or distribution policies.
                          Can anyone advise me where I can obtain a 30.1 in San Francisco, California? Thanks ahead.

{Moderator's comment: Have you made contact with Harbeth USA (Fidelis) listed here? They will definitely know. Thanks}

Comment

Gene Rubin Audio

Comment

Norway?

Could I please be informed of what is the official Harbeth policy for distribution in Norway?
                              PS Audio, which is listed as sales representatives for Norway, is a danish distributor and Harbeth isn't even mentioned in their list of represented brands:
                              http://psaudio.dk/brands/

Comment

Working...
                              X