Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Buying customized Harbeths - Is a warning in place?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying customized Harbeths - Is a warning in place?

A few days ago I stumbled upon a website from a company in Norway called Maxwell Sound System that states on their website that they have permission to custom produce Harbeth speakers. The page says that these speakers - and I quote- ‘are exclusively made for ‘Maxwell Sound System' in Norway’.

I can’t go into details about what he claims with his 'Organic Master Solutions', because I couldn’t find any information about it on internet, other than from this company’s website.

It all sounds to me like a lot of bullocks and can potentially harm the good name of the Harbeth brand and confuse (future) Harbeth users. For its promotion this company is using arguments that this forum has been arguing against over the past years.

To give you an example: This company sells a pimped "Harbeth M40.1-MX - Organic Master Reference Solution" for ‘just’ under € 20.000,00 (NOK 181.900), which is almost twice the price for the original model!!! Besides that, the 40.1 model has been succeeded in 2015 by the new Harbeth 40.2.
    Through the links below you can view more examples of his pricing.

My point on publishing this in the Harbeth forum is that I don’t mind that people try to make money, but this should be a warning for future Harbeth users to think twice before they buy these so called customized Harbeths. Unless of course this company can hard prove that their customized Harbeths justify the ridiculous high price.
    And than I am also curious to whether these customized Harbeths still have their Harbeth warranty?

To Quote W.A. Mozart in the movie Amadeus, after the emporer states that Mozart has used too many notes in an opera and suggests he should remove some: “They say I have to rewrite the opera. But it's perfect as it is! I can't rewrite what's perfect!”
    In my humble opinion: this is in analogy with Harbeth speakers: They are close to perfect as they are.

I am interested in Harbeth users opnions. I am also curious to as whether this company actually has permission from Harbeth to produce “customized Harbeth speakers” or not. And if they are, Harbeth has made a serious mistake if I may say so…..

Some links (in Norwegian, but Google translate can help here):
    http://maxwell.no/produkter/høyttalere/monitor/Harbeth-MX%20-%20Organic.html
    http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annon...nkode=68798136

The voice of God?

To quote Elwood Blues, this chap is on a Mission from God.

http://maxwell.no/kontakt/Comes%20to...20Soon....html

I think this chap is Norway's answer to David Icke.

"Denne lille produsenten fra Storbritania har åpnet muligheten for meg til å Custom-Produsere O.F.M til disse Klassiske Monitorene med den typiske Engelske Vintage-Sounden fra BBC, ...

apparently translates as:

"- This small producer from the UK has opened the possibility for me to Custom Produce OFM to these classical monitors with the typical English Vintage-Sound from the BBC ..."

I wonder what Harbeth's official dealer, Tony, thinks about this. Tony looks like a bit of a bruiser. Think he should pay a visit ...

{Moderator's comment: We have no connection, technical or commercial, with this vendor. Proceed with due caution.}

Comment

!!!

Bonkers indeed.

Comment

Extreme caution

Originally posted by willem View Post
        Bonkers indeed.
        Ah ... I'm surprised no one has commented on the English text on the home page, some of which includes the following (verbatim):
        " - LONG TIME AGO:
        - The GOD-GIVEN INSIGHT was Given to me to SEE in-and-under THE HOLY SPIRIT - THE FORCE OF GOD !!!

- THE Lightning LIVING CIRCLE Surrounding The Warm SOULED Peoples .....- AND THEESE CIRCLES are turning to THE LEFT - the oposit of the world-made time by official clock-turning.

- After a while, when The CIRCLE-FORCE increases / BLOOMING - it appaired that it was "half-mon" atmosphare over me - at the size of Norden and increasing !!! ( - Later on the size of half the earth )."

This is someone you're going to buy expensive audio equipment from? No - this is someone with mental issues (or a rich fantasy life at the very least, though I'd bet on the former). Not someone I'd hand a lot of my cash to.

Also, I know he's Norwegian and English is not his first language, but a lot of Norwegians are pretty fluent in English, and if he can't be bothered spelling half his words correctly, how scrupulous do you trust him to be about anything else?

Comment

Somewhere, in a far-off universe ...

Well,....... fair is fair;
          That particular contactpage seems to be hacked. If not, I'll eat my Harbeths......

Originally posted by EricW View Post
          Ah ... I'm surprised no one has commented on the English text on the home page, some of which includes the following (verbatim):
          " - LONG TIME AGO:
          - The GOD-GIVEN INSIGHT was Given to me to SEE in-and-under THE HOLY SPIRIT - THE FORCE OF GOD !!!

- THE Lightning LIVING CIRCLE Surrounding The Warm SOULED Peoples .....- AND THEESE CIRCLES are turning to THE LEFT - the oposit of the world-made time by official clock-turning.

- After a while, when The CIRCLE-FORCE increases / BLOOMING - it appaired that it was "half-mon" atmosphare over me - at the size of Norden and increasing !!! ( - Later on the size of half the earth )."

This is someone you're going to buy expensive audio equipment from? No - this is someone with mental issues (or a rich fantasy life at the very least, though I'd bet on the former). Not someone I'd hand a lot of my cash to.

Also, I know he's Norwegian and English is not his first language, but a lot of Norwegians are pretty fluent in English, and if he can't be bothered spelling half his words correctly, how scrupulous do you trust him to be about anything else?

Comment

Working...
          X