Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

40th Anniversary New Model Announcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40th Anniversary New Model Announcement

Good afternoon HUG

I'm delighted to reveal that at this weekend's Munich show, which opens today, our new 40th anniversary model - the M30.2, will make its glorious debut.

Available in an exquisite iridescent silver eucalyptus veneer, the M30.2 features; the latest WBT-nextgen binding posts, a new-look tweeter with silver hex grill, British-made audio grade poly capacitors, and Harbeth's 40th anniversary ultra-pure OFC internal cable.
    M30.2 in silver eucalyptus M30.2 40th anniversary back badge M30.2 40th anniversary magnetic grille badge New-look tweeter with silver hex grill WBT-nextgen binding posts
    Last edited by Emma S; 18-05-2017, 01:10 PM. Reason: 40th anniversary,new model,M30.2
    Emma Smith
    Brand Manager
    Harbeth Audio UK

Gosh.
    I wonder if the cabinet finish will appeal to potential buyers...

Comment

Its a bit of a whacky-doodle veneer, but there is at least one other British speaker maker near Harbeth that has done very well with eye-catching highly polished veneers. Its the block colour speakers that I don't like.

Is this going to be limited edition? As a 40th Anniversary owner, I hope not.

Comment

No doubt about the cabinet finish. I think it is the best finish I have seen. It is even better than Tiger Ebony.

The other 40th ann. edition should also have been finished in that!

Comment

Hi Emma,
          They certainly look nice and special. I only wish the announcement had come two months earlier. I bought a pair in Rosewood in March!

Those WBT binding posts are pretty. My only concern is the plastic, not sure how durable it is. The other thing is the foam inside the cabinet. What colour is it? Perhaps a matter of personal preference, I think black or grey is better than white that is visible through the bass reflex ports.

Comment

Originally posted by ssfas View Post
            Is this going to be limited edition?
            The true limited edition is the speaker built using the cabinet upon which A.S. was perched for his portrait:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Harbeth_Alan_about_1998_munich_ol.jpg Views:	2 Size:	414.6 KB ID:	73098

Alan's comment: I can see these old picture of myself. Can anyone else?
            Attached Files

Comment

Ho ho. Can't imagine where you found that photo from over twenty years ago, probably about 1996. That prototype finally became the original Monitor 40 when it became obvious that placing the tweeter so low down in the box would mandate an extremely tall and possibly dangerously so, stand. Generally speaking, the best integration of sound is when listening on tweeter axis.

Incidentally, here in Munich, seated on typical conference style rented chairs, the audience listening to the M40.2 Anniversary Edition get a well integrated sound using moderately tall stands. There are so many old European chums here who are itching to make a Harbeth streamer/amp to allow distributors to offer a one step Harbeth solution.
              Alan A. Shaw
              Designer, owner
              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Wow Emma, sure looks nice, can't wait to listen to them. Have a great show! Grt. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by IMF+TDL View Post
                  The true limited edition is the speaker built using the cabinet upon which A.S. was perched for his portrait:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Harbeth_Alan_about_1998_munich_ol.jpg Views:	2 Size:	414.6 KB ID:	73098
                  Still not able to access any pics on the HUG.

Alan's comment: I can see this old picture of myself. Can anyone else?

Comment

Do I take it that the differences will be of a similar kind to the differences in the other anniversary editions?

Comment

Wonderful! I love the quilted slab cut veneer. Many instrument makers would love to get their hands on a board like that. The quilted figure is popular with many mandolin makers

Comment

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post

Still not able to access any pics on the HUG.
                        Same here...

Comment

Originally posted by willem View Post
                          Do I take it that the differences will be of a similar kind to the differences in the other anniversary editions?
                          My question - without at all wishing to annoy Alan S. - is whether these are merely cosmetic changes similar to the SHL5plus and M40.2 (WBT binding posts, different grade capacitors and internal wiring, new badge and tweeter cover and unique veneer) to celebrate Harbeth's 40th Anniversary or is it a truly 'new' and revised speaker as the M30.2 naming suggests?

I ask the question on two counts: firstly, I am in the process of considering the 'current' M30.1 to replace my P3ESR's and, secondly, because the Limited Edition versions of both the SHL5plus and M40.2 share the same model designation as the standard range but the M30 now clearly has two different model designations.

Comment

I have the same question that MikeM has: is the 30.2 "different" sonically or in terms of tweeter/woofer from the 30.1 or is it a matter of veneer, badging and binding posts? I have auditioned the 30.1 several times and am in the final decision making process and am wondering if there is a new and different Model 30 now.... Thanks, Alan.

Comment

Our answer is that if you are entirely satisfied with what you have heard from the M30.1, then you have two clear choices. Buy the M30.2 and become part of the celebration of Harbeth's 40th Anniversary, or buy the M30.1 and treat your partner to a short vacation. Either way, you will be delighted.

We are purpously not resorting to the tired old audiophile game of talking-up a product to enslave more 'point of purchase' consumers. We'll leave that to others.

Either way, from our perspective, all that matters is that you join the Harbeth family with whatever Harbeth you have the interest in and budget for.

BTW: more Munich information today now I'm back with the photos, including Best Sound of Show award from Poland.
                              Alan A. Shaw
                              Designer, owner
                              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                              X