Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Harbeth and warranty - and bucking the system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbeth and warranty - and bucking the system?

Hello
    i did ask this on another forum:
    How is it if I buy speakers from a another country other than my own,and import them to my own country,since the dealer in my own country cant deliver in many months.(6-8)
    What about the warranty then ??
    And i did get a answer : If you have dealers in your country, you must buy from them for the warranty to be effective

ok,but if i buy used like 6 months old from UK or something ?what about the warranty then ? Isnt this what people do today ?

{Moderator's comment: the Warranty applies to the first owner (who registers the Warrranty) and only if he buys in the country directly shipped to by Harbeth UK. So a) 6 moths old and b) sent out of first country = no Warranty. What you are saying amounts to this ... 'Harbeth has invested 34 years in building the brand and supporting their dealers and customers around the world. Support costs money. But I don't care about any of that: I just want to bypass the system and grab the speakers regardless of support, warranty, after care or any other (expensive) costs'. If everyone followed that approach, first there would be no dealers where you could hear the product, then no after care and soon, no Harbeth company. Think carefully please about this. We must all support our local hifi dealers. They are there to help you and rent, rates, heat,. light and salaries COST MONEY.}

Harbeth and warranty

We must all support our local hifi dealers. They are there to help you and rent, rates, heat,. light and salaries COST MONEY.}
    fair enough if supplier is capable of and can deliver within a reasonable time

And I dont think we talk about bucking a systen because of thinking of buying used on e-bay,or whatever ...and try to get a ok deal,quite normal isent it ?

Comment

Vigorous market for used Harbeths?

The fact that there is a vigorous market for used Harbeths stimulates new speaker sales. Buyers know that their speakers have high resale values, and therefore make the initial purchase knowing they can easily be resold.

Comment

No aftercare wanted when buy on Ebay

Originally posted by Petter View Post
        fair enough if supplier is capable of and can deliver within a reasonable time

And I dont think we talk about bucking a system because of thinking of buying used on e-bay,or whatever ...and try to get a ok deal,quite normal isent it ?
        Agreed. I did this. I don't consider myself as having bucked a system. The guy who sold them to me now may well be in the market for new Harbeths, and so will support the dealers. Myself, I expect no aftercare service except from HUG. Fair?
        Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

Harbeth speakers hold their resale value

Originally posted by Drdennis View Post
          The fact that there is a vigorous market for used Harbeths stimulates new speaker sales. Buyers know that their speakers have high resale values, and therefore make the initial purchase knowing they can easily be resold.
          Harbeth are the rare speakers that mainly sell at more than 50% of their original price on the used market. The often sell used at 75% of their original price! Other brands drop on the use market at 50% or less. Those are my observations from Audiogon, a website that I consult on a daily basis.

Sebastien

Comment

Harbeth and warranty - and bucking the system?

This is not about Harbeth........... but generaly

I think and believe that in 2010 , with the opportunity to buy and purchase over the internet it has open new markeds for many , and this has become so common that this should be integrated in most vendors mindset (and are),and the pontenial are there
            Especially within the EU and such markets should this be,seen as quite normal,why else do we have all this shops webpages where you can buy from ?

Cars, spareparts, clothes, hifi gear, etc etc ...lists goes on

But again im happy and willl wait for my Harbeths

Comment

Bypassing dealers - the road to hell?

Shoes, spectacles and speaker (to mention just three) are fundamentally unsuited for distribution via the internet from anonymous sellers. Speaker are a highly personal thing (they shouldn't be, but in the real world they are) and you need to hear them under proper conditions with a selection of music and equipment in an old-fashioned "bricks and mortar" dealer's place, like for example our member hifi_dave's facility.

It is of no concern or interest to me how other brands and other products settle upon a distribution channel that is right for their business. The blindingly obvious fact is this - and you cannot deny it - if the dealer is bypassed and the consumer buys on the internet it is logical and completely inevitable that the dealers will disappear. Exactly this has happened with the British pub - many closing every week because the consumer busy cheap alcohol at the supermarket. But pubs and hifi dealers offer a real service and support to their community and are sorely missed when they have closed. I'd damned if we at Harbeth are going to just stand back and watch hifi dealers disappear who have a lifetime of experience, tremendous overheads yet offer a real service to the consumer.

It is a perversion of the commercial reality to think that anyone in or connected with audio manufacturing is making vast profits - the return is moderate and proportional to the risk and service provided. Dealers need our support at this time and that's what we give them.

And that is the last word on this matter.
              Alan A. Shaw
              Designer, owner
              Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
              X