Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Test page for embedded audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback

Problem: Yes, it plays but I am forced to listen to the entire file before I have control of my mouse.

If I want to end the music before it reaches the end I have to kill the process in Task Manager. During the "mouse lockup" my cursor remains as a "hand" - after the sound file plays to the end my cursor reverts back again to an arrow.

{Moderator's comment: What operating system are you using? Windows? Mac?}

Edit: Windows 7 (64-bit).
    Erratic behavior going on here...

First situation
    The above described problem does not happen when playing the "TEXT HERE" or "MORE TEXT" mp3 players
    The problem does happen when playing the "EVEN MORE" mp3 player.
    The problem presents itself whether I use IE 9.0 or Firefox 4.0

Second situation
    When clicking on the start arrow for the "TEXT HERE" or "MORE TEXT" mp3 players - music starts immediately.
    When clicking on the start arrow for for the "EVEN MORE" mp3 player, cursor changes to a hand and it takes around 20 seconds before the music starts to play. Sometimes the cursor hangs or doesn't hang; sometimes the music starts instantly, sometimes it does not.

[Will not test further.]

Comment

XP, Firefox

win XP, firefox 3.6.16

slight replication of the mouse lock up issue.

first clip started and then paused with proper mouse functions, same with second.

Third clip seemed not to buffer initially (the progress bar didn't fill up) and mouse ceased to function - then all three clips started to play at once - then mouse worked again and player functioned as expected.

Comment

New Xp install, all updates

Recent fresh install of XP Home with all service packs etc. etc. Firefox 3.6.16. Broadband internet connection to Harbeth server.

All three players quickly appear. All three are independently controllable, will pause, start and stop perfectly. Mouse behaves normally.

Hence erratic behaviour noted by others on their XP/Firefox seems not to be an XP or Firefox issue but some other local matter to them.
        Alan A. Shaw
        Designer, owner
        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Buffering?

Alan, just speculating here but I wonder if your having better proximity to the Harbeth server is associated with your not encountering buffer or mouse lockup issues like Weaver and I are experiencing. Writing for myself, I am located in the United States, again this is all speculation.

Comment

Feedback we'd like is:

1) can you see all three players appearing?

2) until you press PLAY on any one, the progress bar should be a light pinky/red.

3) after you press play on any one, the progress bar should fill-up from left to right with a darker pinky/red.

Please don't PLAY another clip until at least the progress bar of the first one has completely fileld up and it has started to play (audio can be heard).

Comment

More feedback

1. yes all three appear

2. yes, appears as stated

3. yes, but the third clip (Grimes?) takes a lot longer to fill up, ie nothing for maybe 10 secs then fills all at once, the others are (much) quicker (to start buffering) and more progressive to fill.

Tried clearing cache and re-loading page the went straight to the 3rd clip and behavior was exactly the same
              Last edited by weaver; 15-04-2011, 02:01 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Vista Business / FF 3.6.16 OK

Originally posted by weaver View Post
                1. yes all three appear

2. yes, appears as stated

3. yes, but the third clip (Grimes?) takes a lot longer to fill up, ie nothing for maybe 10 secs then fills all at once, the others are quicker and more progressive to fill.

Tried clearing cache and re-loading page the went straight to the 3rd clip and behavior was exactly the same
                Can't understand this. The third clip is only just over a minute long - the first three minutes.

Just checked on Vista Business 32 at R&D centre (different ADSL provider, slower connection) and all three work as intended.

Our server is in the UK (not our own, it's hosted) and you are in the UK.

Are you on a wireless connection to your home router? Or on a mobile (USB) broadband dongle? If this is s buffering issue, surely the Flash clips would have had the same issues?
                Alan A. Shaw
                Designer, owner
                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

XP Pro, FF 3.6.15 OK

R&D centre, PC2....

Win XP Pro SP3, FF 3.6.15

All clips work as intended. Clip3 takes a little longer to start *because there is a slow fade up and it appears to be silent*.
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

More feedback ...

Originally posted by A.S. View Post
                    Can't understand this. The third clip is only just over a minute long - the first three minutes.

Just checked on Vista Business 32 at R&D centre (different ADSL provider, slower connection) and all three work as intended.

Our server is in the UK (not our own, it's hosted) and you are in the UK.

Are you on a wireless connection to your home router? Or on a mobile (USB) broadband dongle? If this is s buffering issue, surely the Flash clips would have had the same issues?
                    I'm on a wired BT business broadband connection.

Just tried it again, starting with the last clip first - click play button then it takes a count of 10 before the red stripe flashes across and the counter starts moving. The other two are pretty much instant.

If I re-load the page but don't clear the cache the third clip starts straight away.

Once it starts buffering it does seem to load much faster than the other two which would be what you might expect being a shorter clip; it just takes much longer to start buffering in the first place.

Are there Flash versions of the same clips?

Comment

Ok on Android 2.2

On a wifi connection to my Dell Streak Android smartphone all three tracks play and are controllable.

Connectiong via 3G just can`t serve the file data fast enough. This says to me that there is no fundamental issue with this audio MP3 facility, it is one of the performance of the users broadband or wifi plus compatibility with their precise OS settings.
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Dramatic performance improvement since yesterday

User conditions have dramatically improved since yesterday. All three progress bars fill within 1-2 seconds, and will continue to fill that rapidly after flushing cache. First two items play music instantly after pressing start arrow Third item plays music within 2- 3seconds (instead of 10 - 12) after pressing the start arrow. Am pleased to report I am experiencing no cursor lockups at all. Windows 7 | Firefox 5.0 | IE 9.0 | Cable broadband

Comment

Third item has impressive sound quality for a mp3.

Forgive me for writing a comment off topic here (i.e. not related to testing) but I couldn't resist... The sound quality in that third selection is quite impressive for an mp3. Whoever recorded that did a good job.

Comment

Recording from 1958

Originally posted by Supersnake View Post
                            Forgive me for writing a comment off topic here (i.e. not related to testing) but I couldn't resist... The sound quality in that third selection is quite impressive for an mp3. Whoever recorded that did a good job.
                            Interesting. That recording is from 1958, Benjamin Britten's Peter Grimes.

You can read Alan's full analysis of that recording here.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...s-Peter-Grimes

Also we made some changes to the server. Please recheck that the four clips are playing OK now.

Comment

Feedback - all working now

Tried it on my laptop at home early evening yesterday (XP pro, Firefox 3.6.16, wireless broadband connection) and got the same results I had done earlier at work.

Have just tried again (19.03, Saturday 16th) and am happy to report all works fine now.

I see the clips are now in a different order so references to 'third clip' may no longer make sense, but it was the Grimes clip that we both seemed to have issues with and on the same computer with the same set-up that clip is now much improved.

I can only guess that the mouse lock-up was due to the pc waiting for the audio file and not allowing any other action.

Comment

Final check

So, I'm hopeful that we can migrate future audio clips from the Flash .swf (which has served us very well) to the new MP3 option. If you want to give this a final check, then feel free. I looked over the shoulder of our youngest who was visiting last weekend and his HTC Android phone buffered and played the three clips very quickly.
                                Alan A. Shaw
                                Designer, owner
                                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                                X