Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

The Harbeth Warranty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyreg View Post
    Anyone from Harbeth willing to give an answer to the below quoted "question and quote" please?
    That looks to me like the current official Warranty position.

There is one additional caveat ... we record the country that we originally exported the speakers to from Harbeth UK, along with many other identifying details. We cannot offer any Warranty if those speakers are diverted to another country than the one they were intended for. For example, if we made them for country Z, exported them to country Z and all our paperwork ties-up when the first user residing in country Z and actually using the speakers in country Z registers the speakers then all well and good. But if the speakers were mysteriously diverted to country X (for example, stolen in transit to country Z) then there cannot be any Wwarranty as the paperwork will not tie up. At this time we do not positively inhibit the registration of any speakers as we are gathering data, but if there is anything irregular about the registration it will come to light from a database interrogation at the point that warranty is needed.

How all this works behind the scenes shouldn't concern you. If you meet the criteria we will honour your Warranty should you need it. But we are certainly not going to extend any generosity of spirit to someone who has deliberately manipulated the sales system or handled stolen goods.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Thanks AS, that's clear sofar than, but.................what about the following quote from HUG1 with the extra rules?

Originally posted by HUG-1 View Post
      Just to remind you ........ the Harbeth Warranty is applicable to
      • the first owner assuming that the owner registers the speaker in the original country that we sold them into e.g. if Harbeth UK sold them to country A but the end user is in country B then they cannot be Registered for Warranty
      • they are registered within 7 days of purchase
      • they were manufactured no more than 180 days prior to Registration
      • all Registration information is completed correctly, truthfully and in full. Information about the dealer's name, sales ticket number etc. will be validated as correct
      • the speaker has not been opened or modified in any way
      • all external and internal unique identifying marks (incl. serial numbers) are intact, legible and are valid and true
      • the speakers were purchased through a current Official Harbeth Retailer listed on the Harbeth website at the date of purchase.

Note: Registrations are not automatically validated at the point of Registration and even though you may appear to complete the Registration process, Warranty is only activated upon our individual inspection and cross-check with sales and production records.

If the original ex-Harbeth serial numbers have been tampered with in any way neither Harbeth UK nor any of its agents or distributors can offer any Warranty.

Other T's and C's apply.

Registration within the 6 month after manufacturing?
      That's not for the customer to know and seems unfair to the distributor/dealer?
      This is what the discussion was about afterwards!

Your point of view please AS? Thx Han

Comment

Warrnaty and counties

It makes no sense at all that the end user should live in the same country where the speakers are sold. I believe I should feel free to buy products in the country of my liking with full warranty.

{Moderator's comment: sorry but that's how it is and how it has been for over twenty years. We support our worldwide dealers servicing and looking after our/their customers in each country.}

Comment

Extended Warranty

On the Issue of Warranty, I had purchased the SHL5 plus in Singapore from CD Acoustic. Jimmy had repeatedly reminded me to register on-line HUG to get the Extended Warranty on top of the 1 year warranty by CD Acoustic. Having done so, I had not received any reply from Harbeth UK since. That was since 11th October 2014. Is this normal for Harbeth not to reply if the registration is received and accepted?

FYI, the serial number of the speaker are xxxxxx left and right.

Tan K. J.
          Singapore

Comment

Harbeth Warranty

Originally posted by twan1 View Post

{Moderator's comment: sorry but that's how it is and how it has been for over twenty years. We support our worldwide dealers servicing and looking after our/their customers in each country.}
            How about people who mY get transferred from one country to another? Surely there should be a way of supporting them?

Comment

Originally posted by SChat View Post
              How about people who may get transferred from one country to another? Surely there should be a way of supporting them?
              The point being made was not about after care; it was about an order production system first-in-first-out. In between the production of wholesale bulk orders we fit in as best as we can unscheduled one-off orders. It is not possible to give rock-solid delivery dates for them.

Please do not waste time. The sooner your Order is logged here and a Confirmation raised, the closer you are to getting your speakers. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by kjtan6 View Post
                On the Issue of Warranty, I had purchased the SHL5 plus in Singapore from CD Acoustic. Jimmy had repeatedly reminded me to register on-line HUG to get the Extended Warranty on top of the 1 year warranty by CD Acoustic. Having done so, I had not received any reply from Harbeth UK since. That was since 11th October 2014. Is this normal for Harbeth not to reply if the registration is received and accepted?

FYI, the serial number of the speaker are xxxxxx left and right.

Tan K. J.
                Singapore
                We cannot see that entry on 11 or 12 Nov. 14. We can see a Mr. Tan, who registered SHL5+ on 12th, bought in Singapore but living in Vietnam. On the face of it; pending investigation; that pair cannot be registered for extended Warranty. Is that you?

Comment

Re-register

I've looked at the database myself and I think that there is no connection between these two gentlemen. I'm aware that the family name is not unusual in Singapore.

Could be please re-register, completing all the required details (shop receipt number, serial number etc.) and I'll keep a look out for your entry.
                  Alan A. Shaw
                  Designer, owner
                  Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Warranty concern

The point being made was not about after care; it was about an order production system first-in-first-out. In between the production of wholesale bulk orders we fit in as best as we can unscheduled one-off orders. It is not possible to give rock-solid delivery dates for them.

Please do not waste time. The sooner your Order is logged here and a Confirmation raised, the closer you are to getting your speakers. Thanks in advance.
                    I am a little confused (and a little worried) now. I think my question was misunderstood. I was not enquiring about availability.

I ordered my speakers a few days ago and they have been delivered today (in London)

My question was related to Warranty and After-care on these speakers. I am one of those fortunate/unfortunate souls (depending on your POV) who has to move from one country to another every few years. If the Harbeth policy is NOT to honour warranty other than in the country of original purchase then that would be worrying for me.

While I understand that I probably belong to a very small minority (of the overall customer base) - shouldn't Harbeth have a system of allowing transfer of warranty (as long as the owner remains the same) from one country to another? That was my concern and question.

Comment

Rules for extended Warranty

Originally posted by SChat View Post
                      I am a little confused (and a little worried) now. I think my question was misunderstood. I was not enquiring about availability.

I ordered my speakers a few days ago and they have been delivered today (in London)

My question was related to Warranty and After-care on these speakers. I am one of those fortunate/unfortunate souls (depending on your POV) who has to move from one country to another every few years. If the Harbeth policy is NOT to honour warranty other than in the country of original purchase then that would be worrying for me.

While I understand that I probably belong to a very small minority (of the overall customer base) - shouldn't Harbeth have a system of allowing transfer of warranty (as long as the owner remains the same) from one country to another? That was my concern and question.
                      You should neither be confused nor concerned. Yours is an entirely reasonable, legitimate case. What we will not become involved with is deliberated circumvention of the well understood and clearly explained rules regarding the privilege of extended Warranty. Just enjoy!

On the subject of extended Warranty, just to make it clear: this is granted when our products are bought brand new and sealed from an Authorised Dealer. That specifically excludes buying from a third party who may, somehow or other have obtained a pair of Harbeth speakers. If the dealer is not Authorised but sells, then it is he, not Harbeth or its Authorised outlets, who must give you a written Warranty and honour it.

Not sure if the dealer is really Authorised? 1) Check the Harbeth web site 2) call Harbeth UK. Beyond that, you are really on your own.
                      Alan A. Shaw
                      Designer, owner
                      Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Thanks

Many Thanks!

Comment

Warranty registration

We cannot see that entry on 11 or 12 Nov. 14. We can see a Mr. Tan, who registered SHL5+ on 12th, bought in Singapore but living in Vietnam. On the face of it; pending investigation; that pair cannot be registered for extended Warranty. Is that you?
                          Dear HUG-1 Moderator,

With reference to my post on Extended Warranty Registration, I am certainly not the user that bought the SHL5+ from Singapore and living in Vietnam. My residence is in Singapore.

For Alan and your reference, the receipt number from Jimmy, CD Acoustics is xxxx dated 11/10/2014. Again, the serial number of the SHL5+ are xxxxxx L/R (left and right) Cherry. Kindly check and confirm. Meanwhile, I will also be checking with CD Acoustic if they had submitted their receipt database to you.

I would appreciate your reply. Thank you.

Tan K.J.

Comment

Registration

With reference to my post on Extended Warranty Registration, I am certainly not the user that bought the SHL5+ from Singapore and living in Vietnam. My residence is in Singapore.

For Alan and your reference, the receipt number from Jimmy, CD Acoustics is xxxx dated 11/10/2014. Again, the serial number of the SHL5+ are xxxxxx L/R (left and right) Cherry. Kindly check and confirm. Meanwhile, I will also be checking with CD Acoustic if they had submitted their receipt database to you.

I would appreciate your reply. Thank you.

Tan K.J.
                            I have been passed your further message. I have personally checked the database this morning, and cannot see your pair listed. As mentioned, please attempt to re-register and I'll take a look later.
                            Alan A. Shaw
                            Designer, owner
                            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Registered

Dear Alan,

As advised, I've just registered again in the Harbeth website for the SHL5plus serial number xxxxxx. Appreciate a reply from Harbeth.

Tan K. J.
                              Singapore

Comment

Registration - OK

Dear Alan,

As advised, I've just registered again in the Harbeth website for the SHL5plus serial number xxxxxx. Appreciate a reply from Harbeth.

Tan K. J.
                                Singapore
                                Not one but two entries from you appeared in the Registration Database today. We've deleted the duplicate.
                                Alan A. Shaw
                                Designer, owner
                                Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
                                X