Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

"Why we like Harbeth speakers" - Users feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Why we like Harbeth speakers" - Users feedback

    Hello everybody,

    I thought this might be a neat way to celebrate the new user group... An invitation to members to state why they like Harbeth speakers.

    I don't own a pair of Harbeths YET, but a few reasons occur to me:

    All reviews (critical and user) are positive. (Perhaps there are lukewarm reviews, but I haven't seen them.)

    The CEO (What is Alan's title?) is available to users and comes across as an honest, dedicated person who takes great pride in his work and truly believes in what he makes and sells.

    If Harbeths are good enough for the BBC, they're good enough for me.

    British craftsmanship at it best.

    I'm sure you can come up with others.

  • #2
    Hi John, well I like their revelation of detail, inherent clarity, uncrushed dynamics and given their physical limitations to bandwidth, their natural balance right across the spectrum. They produce an excellent stereo picture (when fed with the right material) with a very natural sense of space, even down to very low volume levels, which many other "monitor" speakers fail to do and reproduce well-recorded voice in a frightningly natural way!
    Just my opinion, but I think it's shared by many on this group.
    Paul

    "If all else fails, read the instructions"

    Comment


    • #3
      My SHL5s sound wonderful at moderate volumes, with a natural midrange i've yet to hear in speakers costing 10 times as much. Near perfect overall musical balance.

      Comment


      • #4
        Monitor 30 owner

        Originally posted by Chayro
        My SHL5s sound wonderful at moderate volumes, with a natural midrange i've yet to hear in speakers costing 10 times as much. Near perfect overall musical balance.
        I knew when I first heard Harbeth at my dealer, I had to buy a pair. It was only a question which model. He allowed me to audition the Compact 7SE, SHL5, and Monitor 30 in my home, all at the same time so I could switch back & forth.
        I ended up choosing the M30. I had actually preferred the SHL5 at the showroom, however in my room, I preferred the M30.
        I have driven the M30 with an EAR 534 tube amp(50 wt/ch.) but I am now driving them with 200 watts per channel Solid State until I purchase another tube amp since I have since sold the EAR amp.
        FWIW, I learned about Harbeth speakers through The Absolute Sound and one of Reg's reviews.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paul G Smith
          I like their revelation of detail, inherent clarity, uncrushed dynamics and given their physical limitations to bandwidth, their natural balance right across the spectrum. They produce an excellent stereo picture (when fed with the right material) with a very natural sense of space, even down to very low volume levels, which many other "monitor" speakers fail to do and reproduce well-recorded voice in a frightningly natural way! Just my opinion, but I think it's shared by many on this group.
          Very well said, Mr. Smith. This pretty much sums up my personal experience with a pair of M30s. I drive them with a Plinius SA100/3 and have always found the pairing impeccable.

          Kind regards,

          Robert Lantin

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Robert Lantin
            Very well said, Mr. Smith. This pretty much sums up my personal experience with a pair of M30s. I drive them with a Plinius SA100/3 and have always found the pairing impeccable.

            Kind regards,

            Robert Lantin
            Hello Mr. Lantin,

            I would buy Plinius SA 102 for my M30, do you probably know if that would sound as SA 100/3?

            Thanks and best,

            Thumper

            Comment


            • #7
              Harbeth

              I own 2 pairs of Harbeth speakers. The original HL-P3 and recently the Super HL5. I like Harbeth speakers because they sound familiar, like you've heard that sound before but can't quite remember where you heard it. They just sound right.

              Comment


              • #8
                I like the eucaliptus veneer, the warmth and enjoyable sound from my M30.
                It make the poping moise from my turntable system bearable compare to other speaker I have.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I own a pair of SHL5
                  I love my harbeth for:
                  -beautifully accurate tonality and timbre, voice and piano, violins sounds so natural and beautiful, with lifelike weight. This is the one thing that every review say about them.
                  -they sound so musical and yet very transparent and clear without edge.
                  -coherent across the frequency range
                  -highly revealing, and keeps giving you wonderful surprises each time you upgrade the other components.
                  -doesn't require stratospheric costing equipment to sound nice, but as above, really takes flight as you give it more "juice"
                  They are like a Stradivarius compared to Vanessa mae's electric violin:)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why did I fall for Harbeth

                    Spent 6 months listening to bookshelf speakers before I heard th P3s . They were just so jaw dropping in their sound and imaging... was like my favourite singers were in the room . Found a great Aussie made amp to drive them (Redgum 120W MOSFET) . Wanted more after hearing some old HL7s. Found a demo pair in UK . Had them shipped to the antipides and have since married them!
                    When Im a bit down, I just put on some of my fave female vocalists, close my eyes and just get lost in the magic. No other speaker I have owned in 30 years has been able to do that for hour after hour like the Harbeths.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hu
                      Hello Mr. Lantin,

                      I would buy Plinius SA 102 for my M30, do you probably know if that would sound as SA 100/3?

                      Thanks and best,

                      Thumper
                      Hello Thumper,

                      Yes, to my ears the Plinius SA102 sounds very much like the SA100/3. So much so, in fact, that I have kept the older model when the newer one was first introduced by Plinius 3 or 4 years ago (I can't remember exactly; how time flies !). I have had the pleasure of hearing the Plinius SA102 on numerous occasions?both in my listening room driving my M30s for several weeks and at the distributor's driving M30s and M40s?, and can recommend it without reservation. IMHO, this is a fine piece of electronics and an excellent match for the M30s.

                      Kind regards,

                      Robert Lantin

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Robert Lantin
                        Hello Thumper,

                        Yes, to my ears the Plinius SA102 sounds very much like the SA100/3. So much so, in fact, that I have kept the older model when the newer one was first introduced by Plinius 3 or 4 years ago (I can't remember exactly; how time flies !). I have had the pleasure of hearing the Plinius SA102 on numerous occasions?both in my listening room driving my M30s for several weeks and at the distributor's driving M30s and M40s?, and can recommend it without reservation. IMHO, this is a fine piece of electronics and an excellent match for the M30s.

                        Kind regards,

                        Robert Lantin
                        Hello Robert,

                        Thank you very much! I cannot find any SA100/3, so I would buy new 102. Now I borrowed one 9200 with my M30, that sounds good to my ears. Would you please tell me what pre amp and CDP you use with SA100/3/M30?

                        Best regards,

                        Hu (Thumper)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I like classical music, so I think harbeth speaker is one of the best choice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Why I Can't Get Rid Of My Harbeth's

                            I've been trying to find an attractive floorstander for the past two years to replace my Compact 7's--thinking I can find something more suitable to the domestic environment and with a bit more bass. I've heard nearly everything up to (and in some cases above) 10K. Everytime I return to my system I realize that the only way I'm going to do better soundwise is to move up the Harbeth line. Why? The Harbeth's sound like music itself--expressive, warm, natural, non-fatiguing, intimate, spacious, real, alive, passionate, joyous, engaging, lifelike, true and musical. They are far and away the best speakers on the market regardless of price and for the money an absolute steal. Having gone through the time and expense of trying to better them I would simply tell anyone interested in putting together a two-channel music system to simply ignore all of the marketing hype and reviews (except the ones written about Harbeth recently which are some of the few to actually hit the mark) and buy a pair of Harbeth's and be done. You can drive them with anything and they still retain their beauty. Put serious electronics in front of them and they only get better. Who wants a speaker that can only sound "good" with just the right cables, electronics, recordings and room? Thank you Alan for doing what you do--my appreciation of different forms and styles of music has grown fantastically because of my relationship with your speakers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It was my local CD shop where use a pair of Harbeth C7ES to demo classical music. Everytime I shop there, I found I enjoy music much more than I do at home. So I decided Harbeth is the brand for upgrade. It is the tonal/timbre accuracy that attracting me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X