Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Kuala Lumpur Audio/Video International (KLIAV) 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuala Lumpur Audio/Video International (KLIAV) 2011

Well, so i just came back from the KLIAV 2011 that was held over the weekend & i am excited to say that the P3ESR, demonstrated by Tropical Audio, was the star of the show despite it being the smallest spk there. Amidst all the other much bigger & expensive spks where the loudest boom, bang & tizz was supposed to win the day, the P3ESR distinguished itself with a thoroughly musical & natural presentation. Vocals especially, was simply top notch being spookily real, natural & richly textured without being forward at all. I feel that none of the other spks (some as costly as a semi-detached house in M'sia) at the show could do vocals quite like the dimunitive P3ESR. Even the venerable LS3/5A showcased at an adjacent room (with very expensive swiss electronics) couldn't quite match the P3ESRs for tonal purity, sophistication & an inherent rightness to the sound. Immediately after the P3ESR, the quacky coloration of the LS-3/5A midband became rather obvious but the LS-3/5A was still more musically satisfying than many of the 'big boys' there IMHO.

In addition, the P3ESR didn't just sound good with simple or vocal music, it handled big band & difficult classical pieces with equal aplomb sounding bigger & more dynamic than it should. Bass was sufficiently weighty & well defined. Soundstage was appropriately expansive & 3 dimensional. When Sam played Amanda Mcbroom's emotionally packed 'Portrait' on the P3ESR, it almost made me tear. A fellow show goer quipped that after his getting his ears badly abused by the other spks, it was a definite welcome change to sit down, relax & get lost in the music with the P3ESRs.

My P3ESR sound like real

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
    Well, so i just came back from the KLIAV 2011 that was held over the weekend & i am excited to say that the P3ESR, demonstrated by Tropical Audio, was the star of the show despite it being the smallest spk there. Amidst all the other much bigger & expensive spks where the loudest boom, bang & tizz was supposed to win the day, the P3ESR distinguished itself with a thoroughly musical & natural presentation. Vocals especially, was simply top notch being spookily real, natural & richly textured without being forward at all. I feel that none of the other spks (some as costly as a semi-detached house in M'sia) at the show could do vocals quite like the dimunitive P3ESR. Even the venerable LS3/5A showcased at an adjacent room (with very expensive swiss electronics) couldn't quite match the P3ESRs for tonal purity, sophistication & an inherent rightness to the sound. Immediately after the P3ESR, the quacky coloration of the LS-3/5A midband became rather obvious but the LS-3/5A was still more musically satisfying than many of the 'big boys' there IMHO.

In addition, the P3ESR didn't just sound good with simple or vocal music, it handled big band & difficult classical pieces with equal aplomb sounding bigger & more dynamic than it should. Bass was sufficiently weighty & well defined. Soundstage was appropriately expansive & 3 dimensional. When Sam played Amanda Mcbroom's emotionally packed 'Portrait' on the P3ESR, it almost made me tear. A fellow show goer quipped that after his getting his ears badly abused by the other spks, it was a definite welcome change to sit down, relax & get lost in the music with the P3ESRs.

That sounds right to me,very happy with endorsements one after another after purchasing the P3ESR's, many audiophile friends ask me whether I continue to enjoy them and when will I upgrade, I for one can't see an upgrade. They sound like it is happening in my room.

Comment

Upgrade from P3ESR? How???? Imposible

Make no mistake Kraiker, the P3ESR is a cracker of a spk, even in comparison to spks much larger & much more costly than itself. I am now seriously considering getting a pair for my bedroom when the bedroom becomes available. Its definitely a reference standard mini monitor & thoroughly deserves all the praises heaped on it & more. Upgrade? Other than going for the larger Harbeths, i really cannot see how one can upgrade from the wonderful P3ESR!

Comment

Beaten the upgrade bug with the P3ESR?

I have yet to hear any sibilance in music produced by the P3ESR's with Leben CS300X driving them. I have never heard any speaker or headphone system without sibilance from one song or another.

I might have just beaten the upgrade bug.

Comment

3/5a and it's unique sound.

Originally posted by Gan CK View Post
          Well, so i just came back from the KLIAV 2011 that was held over the weekend & i am excited to say that the P3ESR, demonstrated by Tropical Audio, was the star of the show despite it being the smallest spk there. Amidst all the other much bigger & expensive spks where the loudest boom, bang & tizz was supposed to win the day, the P3ESR distinguished itself with a thoroughly musical & natural presentation...... Even the venerable LS3/5A showcased at an adjacent room (with very expensive swiss electronics) couldn't quite match the P3ESRs for tonal purity, sophistication & an inherent rightness to the sound. Immediately after the P3ESR, the quacky coloration of the LS-3/5A midband became rather obvious
          It's interesting that you should say that. As you know, it was back in 1990 (over twenty years ago) that it became apparent to me that on a live-v-reproduced test (this was written up in 'Schoolboy's Ambition' at the time) using my daughter's live v. reproduced voice, that the venerable 3/5a had a presence and as you say, some associated coloration, which was just not there in her actual voice.

Not unpleasant to listen to, but certainly not truly her inside the box. Picture from the time (she's 28 now) of the original P3 which came out of my piqued intrigue with the 3/5a, some two or so years after we were granted the BBC licence.

And as we know, the 3/5a ages horribly and the sonic result depends on numerable factors, not the least of which was the batch to batch stability of the bass units as supplied by KEF.

Picture to follow ....
          Alan A. Shaw
          Designer, owner
          Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Working...
          X