Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Subwoofer and cables: now I'm satisfied

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer and cables: now I'm satisfied

This afternoon I received my Harbeth P3esr Speakers. I at first wanted the Compact 7-3's but those didn't fit my budget so I settled for the smaller P3's. I wasn't sure I did the "right" thing.

I am an "audio skeptic" doubting that ANY audio component is "better" than any other. For example, in the world of speakers there are "MANY HOUSES"....er...many brands-----QUAD 22L2 (my previous speaker), the B&W 645, PSB Imagine T's, Wharfedale, Totem, Dynaudio, KEF, Monitor Audio, etc..etc. Who can say which of all these is "better" or "above the rest"?

I connected the Harbeth's using my Naim Speaker Cable (solid copper) and Kimber Hero Interconnects (copper). I WAS APALLED! THERE WAS NO "THERE" THERE...NO 3D IMAGING....NO "AIR" BETWEEN INSTRUMENTS....NO TRANSPARENCY....WHAT A MESS!!! After getting my breath back into my lungs and taking a few LONG breaths I said to myself: "All is not lost...MAYBE if I change the speaker cables and change the interconnects I might hear a difference.", I said to myself.

I changed the Hero Interconnects leading from my Cambridge Azur 840C CD Player (known for 3D imaging) to morrow.com "copper coated with silver" ($60). I tried the speakers again. Better. Then I changed the NAIM speaker cable again to morrow.com "copper coated with silver" speaker cable (about $225). Then I hooked up my Definitive Technology 800 Subwoofer, now $228 (a very good subwoofer for the money. (PLEASE NOTE THAT SINCE THE ABOVE I TRIED SOME "TELLURIUM Q BLACK" SPEAKER CABLES WHICH WERE MUCH MORE TRANSPARENT AND FOCUSSED THAN THE MORROW CABLES MENTIONED ABOVE.)

i put on a CD (Erato---Salieri, "Concerto per Fortepiano e Orchestra" and "Sinfonia 'La Tempesta di Mare" performed by Claudio Scimone. It's not Mozart but it turned out to be pleasant...VERY PLEASANT! The instruments had AIR between them, the soundstage was very transparent, good imaging with placement of instruments in their own space from left to right....."WOW, THIS IS A GOOD SPEAKER" I said to myself.

Then I started to fall asleep after about 10 minutes...then woke up after about 3 minutes to the playing of SWEET FLUTES AND OBOES....I NEVER HEARD FLUTES AND OBOES SOUND SO SWEET IN ANY RECORDED MUSIC BEFORE! I wondered, "Is this natural sweetness a function of the CD or of the speakers?" Well, I'm still wondering...but I am inclined to believe that the speakers had something to do with the VERY PLEASANT SOUND OF THE INSTRUMENTS.....not to mention again the transparency and imaging and air of the sound stage!

So, that's "my story" about my experience, so far, with The Harbeth P3 esr. Oh! I forgot to mention the results using the Definitive Technology 800 Sub-woofer. That subwoofer...not the most expensive one but worked VERY WELL with the Harbeth P3 esr Speakers! I found it VERY GOOD in that it gave GOOD AND TUNEFUL BASS that the little P3's couldn't provide.

In conclusion, if you're like me and you don't want to "mortgage the farm" to get a pair of Compact 7's.....or go for the other more expensive models...my skepticism is much lessened so that I can suggest that you go for the "little guys", The P3's, BUT. GET A SUBWOOFER TO SUPPLEMENT THE BASS.....AND i THINK YOU'LL HAVE A VERY SATISFYING EXPERIENCE---AS I DID THIS AFTERNOON!

Sincerely, John Boland ADDENDUM 3-14-13: TODAY I TRIED SOME "TELLURIUM Q BLACK" SPEAKER CABLES. WOW...VERY TRANSPARENT AND FOCUSSED! EVEN BETTER THAN THE MORROW CABLE MENTIONED ABOVE. THEY ARE RIGHT NOW MAKING MY P3'S "SING"!!! :o)

Links

PS: It's me again....I don't know if I'm allowed to reply to my own posting but here is an ADDENDUM AS ABOVE: TODAY I TRIED SOME "TELLURIUM Q BLACK" SPEAKER CABLES. WOW...VERY TRANSPARENT! EVEN BETTER THAN THE MORROW CABLES MENTIONED ABOVE. THEY ARE RIGHT NOW MAKING MY P3'S "SING"!!! :o)

Comment

Further info

With my member name, I am on aol.com in case anyone wants to contact me for some reason.

Comment

Working...
      X