Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Amplifier servicing - Audiolab?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier servicing - Audiolab?

Both my Audiolab and Quad 303 amplifiers are rather long in the tooth and probably require servicing. For the 303, my first thought was Quad themselves. Audiolab is now based in China, so they probably recommend somewhere in England. Do any members of this Forum recommend an engineer they have received good service from ?
    I live near Oxford, so would prefer not to have to ship such heavy items.

IAG may help?

Miles, try to contact b/m phone, they should recommend you some good local audio engineer / service in your area:

IAG Service Department, Unit 4, St Margarets Way,
    Stukeley Meadows Industrial Estate, Huntingdon, Cambs, PE29 6EB
    Telephone : 01480 452561
    e-mail : [email protected]

In Poland it worked.

All the best.

{Moderator's comment: QUAD is part of the International Audio Group}

Comment

Audiolab service engineer

I had my 8000 series power amps and integrated serviced a couple of years ago, relays changed, re-biased, output and driver device solder joints checked, oscilloscope check. Don't know if he is still current but I can recommend most highly:

Kevin Green - [email protected]
      36 Merganser Drive, Bicester, OX26 6UQ

Comment

"Customer is king!" (but manufacturers don't like to admit issues...)

Originally posted by audiolab View Post
        I had my 8000 series power amps and integrated serviced a couple of years ago, relays changed, re-biased, output and driver device solder joints checked, oscilloscope check. Don't know if he is still current but I can recommend most highly:

Good luck - that could be a useful contact.

When customer service doesn't live up to expectations and the customer feels at the end of the road with a brand, Eur 150,000 is as good as scrap metal .... here.
        Alan A. Shaw
        Designer, owner
        Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Jaguars?

i'm in Canada and we would see this everyday,sometimes twice a day,those Jaguars were horrible! Really a bad automobile,seems the electrical systems were engineered by the competition hahahahahahahahahaaaaaa.

Comment

Quad 303 upgrades?

Audiolab have UK offices and I last heard the original engineer was still there (Sean if I remember correctly - so little went wrong they didn't need a large service dept). To be honest, if it ain't wrong, don't 'fix it' is the mantra on Audiolab of old..

As for the 303, the original supply caps may either be leaky or at least well down in performance. Depending on what you want to do, you can either do straight new for old using the same values, although it has been said that increasing the values of both supply and output caps makes for an improvement (I'm being careful here as I haven't seen measured proof). I do respect the dada/Quad blogspot though and there are pages of articles on restoring old Quads on there, with objective proof often offered I feel.

I love the 303 when it's working right. Mine had been fully rebuilt with all new components and the big caps were original value Elnas and a smattering of Ansar and Black Gates here and there. Sounded fine to me, but I doubt it was so audibly different to a well sorted 'original' that I could tell any difference :)

Comment

Amp after-care expert recommended

Originally posted by audiolab View Post

Yes, Kevin Green is excellent.

Comment

Working...
              X