Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

User Group Praise as we relax and enjoy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User Group Praise as we relax and enjoy

Thanks to the Harbeth user group and all the people who contribute to it . As a music enthusiast this site is a huge asset to me . It is great to have people with such a wealth of knowledge about all things audio who are willing to help others learn.

I have really learned so much about audio since joining this group and will continue to do so. After a long wait we have returned our friends borrowed speakers and have our new Harbeth speakers up and playing . We are enjoying as much of our down time as possible listening and relaxing to the music .

Music, not machines

Originally posted by TOAD HALL View Post
    Thanks to the Harbeth user group and all the people who contribute to it . As a music enthusiast this site is a huge asset to me . It is great to have people with such a wealth of knowledge about all things audio who are willing to help others learn.

I have really learned so much about audio since joining this group and will continue to do so. After a long wait we have returned our friends borrowed speakers and have our new Harbeth speakers up and playing . We are enjoying as much of our down time as possible listening and relaxing to the music .
    Wish you to find more & more time to enjoy music through your new Harbeths. And, to remind the very core of this frienship group, we managed to bring up to the correct level the most important (at least to me) meaning: To keep measure, by spending less money and getting more true to life sound. We concentrate to music itself, not to machines... And this will surely contribute to our health and will prolong our lives. Be Well.

Comment

The unique Harbeth value proposition

I concur, Thanos.

It has been years since I was totally relaxed about my system, and could really get into collecting music again without the constant caveat of finding my music compromised by the sound quality. I can say that with the Harbeths and associated equipment, for a lesser outlay than I thought, I now find myself spending time buying music to listen to rather than obsessing over lost resolution. Not technically minded, nor caring how it is done, these beauties just make recorded music sound good, natural, and satisfying.

I wonder if the CD industry, and CD quality audio might have had a stronger and longer life had this particular brand, and it's qualities been more widely recognised as a benchmark approach to enjoying audio playback.

In business terms, the longevity and durability of a company's product is spoken of as a "moat"; the width and depth of which is a metaphor for the excellence of the consumers' regard for their product. Competitors face the moat and cannot encroach on the market share without a sufficiently better or more cost efficient innovation. Think Boeing 747 and its years of service. Only now has new product become competitive against this most excellent design.

The moat, in this case, is that with CD-quality audio playback through Harbeths, and with competent amplification, there is no real reason to go with alternative content delivery (HD), alternative technology (computers and outboard DACS), or any other pseudo-improvements when the sound is just so good. Everyone might remain keen and avid consumers of recorded music in large numbers.

Instead, the audiophile industry has managed to cause angst, and deliver transducers which produce dissatisfaction, and now, we have a fragmented industry where the consumer is confused about multiple options of varying quality and benefit, and unreliable relationships between price and utility. The longer the consumer pays money for product which is not delivering on value, the less they can enjoy the content output, and eventually, it is easy to succumb to cheap promises, bad audio mastering and the advent of truly low-fi, artificial sound. At that point, we may as well buy $10 headphones, and listen to MP3's.

I therefore hope other would-be fans of music read this post, think seriously about trying Harbeths and experiencing this most unique product which represents value in its truest sense.

Comment

CD's definitely alive and well

"I wonder if the CD industry, and CD quality audio might have had a stronger and longer life had this particular brand, and it's [sic] qualities been more widely recognized as a benchmark approach to enjoying audio playback."

For me, the CD industry and CD quality audio are alive and well; I still purchase CDs regularly and listen to them daily (on my M40s).
        Edward

Comment

Working...
        X