Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Hello - new Harbeth Owner - thanks to hifi_dave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - new Harbeth Owner - thanks to hifi_dave

Hi all

Just thought I would use my first post to say a quick hello and praise some excellent service from my dealer.

I have had my rega system of a brio-r, apollo-r, dac and RS5 speakers for a bit so decided to change the amplifier for the new Rega Elex-r to see it would serve as a considerable improvement. Went to David at Radlett as usual and duly purchased the new amp which has made a positive improvement giving greater authority and clarity to the music. Then thought, what the hell, I wonder if new speakers would improve things further? Knowing that David likes Harbeth I enquired and spent a few hours over 2 days demoing against the RS5's. David recommended the HL5's. Initially I was not sure as I thought some tracks sounded a bit thick and a touch hollow, but on the second day for some reason I was really getting the used to new sound and really enjoying the Harbeths and the emotional involvement they produced.

I have always have great service from David and again there was no pressure and a we just let the music to its own thing. I left with the Harbeths and now they are installed at home I am absolutely loving them. I would love to upgrade to the pluses if upgrades are ever available.

I am not a real techie when it comes to hifi, I just know the sound I like and I am loving the way the new amp and speakers are interpreting the music.

A huge thanks to David for tolerating my endless idiot questions about amps and speakers and the vast experience in hifi and interpreting my utter twoddle into an end product that really is enjoyable to listen to.

I will stop now!

Shari

My journey to harbeth

Hello all.

This is my first post on this Forum.

Up until 3 months ago I had never heard of Harbeth speakers. It was by chance in a HiFi dealership that I got to hear a set of P3esrs. They were ultimately far more honest and tuneful than the speakers I was buying to go with my newly acquired a S/H Linn Sondek LP12 TT.(It was my dream in the late '70s and '80s to own one.)

I have rediscovered my record collection in my loft and decided to get things together to play it. Being no "Audiophile" I soon learnt that I was not balancing my system with equal valued pieces. I was kind of smelling B.S. But I did fancy a quick strive to obtain a set of the nicely demoed P3esrs.

To learn more about Harbeth I searched this Forum and took in all the pertinent info. available . I was extremely pleased to see that the owner/designer Alan, was taking part in discussions. It was advice from him and others. That convinced me about the many myths and falsehoods about The Listening to Music Experience and the ability to play music you like to your own satisfaction.

Anyways P3esrs were going to be ordered. However when at dealers I inadvertently asked for SHL5+s (I was after p3esrs in Maple.) It wasn't till long after I got home and decided to show a friend what I had purchased that I realised my mistake. Rather than change the order I decided to cram up on the SHL5+s and particularly on what it would take to run them. It was with great delight that I already had purchased an amplifier with sufficient power. I needn't worry it was in the

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/f...per-HL5-family.

First thread I found my answer My Rega Elex-r would easily suffice. courtesy of hifi_dave

Picked up my Eucalyptus SHL5+s yesterday with Something Solid stands. I refrained from using the Bluetac advice from manufacturer. Again on Forum advice. All joined up with Van Damme Multi strand cable.

I am now able to play my albums in a far more Detailed/Clear/Musical way without having regard for speakers

I play all sorts of music Jazz/Classical/American Folk Rock from the '60s '70's/'60s Psychedelic/Led Zepplin/Floyd/Hendrix all but Rap and Reggae.

Also running CD through a Philips DVD player.

The one and only best improvement I could make to the whole experience is to be able to position my Harbeths properly to allow the boxes to breathe to allow for less boomy bass on a certain 10% of my listened to music. That will come about when my son decides to leave (MMmmmmm?) and I inherit a nice new listening room. Or I try out my old faithful DSP AV amp?

Cheers.
    Last edited by JSG72; 22-05-2016, 09:07 PM. Reason: An answer?

Comment

Sufficient for purpose

Originally posted by JSG72 View Post

Also running CD through a Philips DVD player.
      My CD source is also a DVD player, a 10 year old Yamaha model I got to play any region discs on any TV, it was $220 so not the cheapest offering.

I cannot differentiate it from a dedicated audiophile CD player costing about 4x (its rca outs are failing so I use the dvd player) and assuming I could not differentiate it from pretty much any CD player out there, that's the advantage of HUG, I will assume that my DVD player is sufficient until demonstrated otherwise, it could be very easy to readily assume that other more expensive players are better. For the time being it will be spinning discs.
      Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Escape from audionervosa

Originally posted by JSG72 View Post
        Hello all.

I am now able to play my albums in a far more Detailed/Clear/Musical way without having regard for speakers

Cheers.
        Congratulations.

An important aspect of HUG is that at least gives people the opportunity to realize that 'audionervosa' is not necessarily an option. I understand the fun of a hobby but for some box swapping must be a tortuous and expensive process.

I have yet to read of an account where somebody has abx'd a cd player or amplifier (given the usual criteria) and that gave me serious pause for thought......
        Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Happy accident!

Wow, that's some mistake - wanting P3ESR and ordering SHL5+ !!!

I'm glad it worked out for you and that you are enjoying your shiny new Harbeths.

Comment

Free from audiophilia now

Originally posted by hifi_dave View Post
            Wow, that's some mistake - wanting P3ESR and ordering SHL5+ !!!

I'm glad it worked out for you and that you are enjoying your shiny new Harbeths.
            It most certainly was. But after reading all the reviews and realising that I would probably harken for the SHL5+s . Yes it was worth the family going without sustenance from a month or so to achieve this goal.

At a stroke I appear to have jumped off the merrygoround

Comment

Working...
            X