Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

The Harbeth User Group is the primary channel for public communication with Harbeth's HQ. If you have a 'scientific mind' and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - audio equipment decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual Science of Audio sub-forum area of HUG is your place. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and should be accessible to non-experts and able to be tried-out at home without deep technical knowledge. From a design perspective, today's award winning Harbeths could not have been designed any other way.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings area is you. If you are quite set in your subjectivity, then HUG is likely to be a bit too fact based for you, as many of the contributors have maximised their pleasure in home music reproduction by allowing their head to rule their heart. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area only, although HUG is really not the best place to have these sort of purely subjective airings.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters and Harbeth does not necessarily agree with the contents of any member contributions, especially in the Subjective Soundings area, and has no control over external content.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Oct. 2017}
See more
See less

Group-think: What would a Harbeth amplifier look and feel like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable and high power

Just like Harbeths use of Radial, the BBC engineering traditions and a speaker designed and engineered to provide a lifetime of reliable use, I think the Harbeth amplifier needs to embody similar unique qualities that makes it standout from the crowded market place and be recognized as a true "Harbeth". For example, Alan does not use electrolytic capacitors in the Harbeth crossovers for increased reliability and longevity - is there a different and longer life approach that can replace the large electrolytic capacitors found in traditional amplifier power supplies?

There seems to be many integrated amps on the market ranging from 50w to 150w into 8 Ohms, but integrated amps with 250W into 8 Ohms or more are less common.They do exist, and those are usually very expensive as if power is an absolute luxury. As was shown by the M40.1 demo in Holland, the need for large power reserves when called for by the type of music played and the loudness is crucial. I think a Harbeth integrated amplifier that has enough power comparable to big, powerful power amplifiers would be a standout.

Comment

Justification for Harbeth electronics?

I sit here cured of audiophilia thanks to you Alan with my c7es3's basic tascam CD player and Yamaha rn 500 receiver, this is after reading your many posts about using modest equipment for great results, this post confuses me.

I truly hope Harbeth aren't really planning to make some expensive boutique amp it kinda goes against everything you have got me believing, if this new amp eventuates how will it fair in a blind A/B test with my modest receiver.

This seems so contradictory even 1000 pound is far too much for an amplifier be it Harbeth or any other, please explain

Comment

A flexible preamp

Originally posted by tmokbel View Post
        Just like Harbeths use of Radial, the BBC engineering traditions and a speaker designed and engineered to provide a lifetime of reliable use, I think the Harbeth amplifier needs to embody similar unique qualities that makes it standout from the crowded market place and be recognized as a true "Harbeth". For example, Alan does not use electrolytic capacitors in the Harbeth crossovers for increased reliability and longevity - is there a different and longer life approach that can replace the large electrolytic capacitors found in traditional amplifier power supplies?

There seems to be many integrated amps on the market ranging from 50w to 150w into 8 Ohms, but integrated amps with 250W into 8 Ohms or more are less common.They do exist, and those are usually very expensive as if power is an absolute luxury. As was shown by the M40.1 demo in Holland, the need for large power reserves when called for by the type of music played and the loudness is crucial. I think a Harbeth integrated amplifier that has enough power comparable to big, powerful power amplifiers would be a standout.
        Another option to take power out of the equation is to make a preamp only, then the punter can decide just how much power they want to use depending on their music/room/volume, be that a $10,000 fashionable 5W tube or a $300 pro with 500W, that might necessitate XLR outputs also (which seem pretty common these days).

I personally would jump on a reliable domestic pre amp with gain/tone that would simply ensure that my system was not overloaded at any point and ensure best use of the volumes rotation to find a precise level for listening.

Currently I cannot think of a single instance of a domestic preamp that actually has gain control (though a friend had a tom willis amp that I think had a custom one fitted) the nearest we might get to that is running a DAC with an analogue volume control into the preamp, I imagine the S/N ratio here may not be optimal but would that even be noticeable??
        Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Bill of materials

Originally posted by acroyear View Post
          Currently I cannot think of a single instance of a domestic preamp that actually has gain control (though a friend had a tom willis amp that I think had a custom one fitted) the nearest we might get to that is running a DAC with an analogue volume control into the preamp, I imagine the S/N ratio here may not be optimal but would that even be noticeable??
          I was discussing volume controls with Tom yesterday. I have a custom TW pre-amp. When he put in the volume control he put in an Alps potentiometer unit that costs about 8 at trade cost, 12 retail. He used this as you can fit a remote control to it. You could of course buy an external stepped attenuator for in excess of 1,000. We had a look at the options on hificollective.co.uk and he said a stepped attenuator at 26 retail would be a much better option, and there was no need to pay the typical price of around 150-250. You can pay up to 1,250 for a whizz-bang unit.

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/atte...-resistor.html
          http://www.hificollective.co.uk/step...ft-seiden.html

The problem with these units is that you cannot put a standard remote control on them because they are stepped, not continuous.

This gave me an idea of how dramatically component choice can effect the Materials Bill of Costs, and requires experience to make a unit that gives the best value for money.

Comment

Already mentioned by some but the issue of amplifier noise is something to be considered, some amps seem silent, others can buzz and be heard from a distance of a few meters, that has to be unacceptable. Perusing another audio forum I see that the discussions on amps include quite a lot on amps variously buzzing/speaker hissing depending on equipment/cables. An amp I bought last year but since moved on from had odd uneven noise from the loudspeakers that comprised hiss and a buzzing that varied with its balance control position, admittedly you would not listen to one channel only ever, but when you turned the control one way and the channel buzzed quite audibly, but in turning the other way it did not happen that really made me wonder what was going on.
            Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Do not confuse brand identity

From a "marketing perspective", Harbeth should not get into making or selling amplifiers.

At least by not using the "Harbeth" brand. That brand should reman exclusively for speakers only.

Comment

Elephant in the room

Originally posted by Robmoores1 View Post
                Surely, though, it would also go against the Harbeth philosophy that any amplifier will suffice so long as it is well designed?
                And finally (thanks Rob) someone points out the 'elephant in the room'. Harbeth have done a brilliant job in saving all of us on HUG huge sums of money by insisting that any competently designed amplifier, properly level matched, will sound no different to another competently designed amplifier. No more chasing rainbows, reviews, or worrying if you have the 'right' brand etc.

So if existing Harbeth customers already have such a product with all the facilities required by them at purchase point, why would they need a Harbeth amp? Is it going to sound better than other manufacturers amps?

Aside from this, I am completely with Hi-fi Dave on this one.

Mike.

Comment

What about sound quality?

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                  And finally (thanks Rob) someone points out the 'elephant in the room'. Harbeth have done a brilliant job in saving all of us on HUG huge sums of money by insisting that any competently designed amplifier, properly level matched, will sound no different to another competently designed amplifier. No more chasing rainbows, reviews, or worrying if you have the 'right' brand etc.

So if existing Harbeth customers already have such a product with all the facilities required by them at purchase point, why would they need a Harbeth amp? Is it going to sound better than other manufacturers amps?

Aside from this, I am completely with Hi-fi Dave on this one.

Mike.
                  I think the main objective with the Harbeth amp is to have a unit that actually has useful features, ones that translate into a system that does not clip very early in the volume rotation, one that has some type of EQ to make the most of poor recordings and one that can sufficiently drive the loudspeakers, I'm not sure anybody who made suggestions even commented on the sound quality other than perhaps that the response should be flat.
                  Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Gain control per channel

Just FYI on gain staging. I just purchased a Parasound zamp for 2 channel HT. Reasonable and had gain adjustments on the amp.

All of the stereo amps had this option on the rear panel.

Comment

Unique features required

I think a Harbeth amplifier only makes sense if it has some unique and useful facilities that improve on precisely the speakers' performance, like dsp room equalization.

Comment

Modular solution?

Most grateful to IMF+TDL for his post no. 210 here:

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...4946#post34946

I suggested a modular amplifier and someone else (I cannot recall, apologies) referred to Vinnie Rossi - and here it is doing a sparkling job with SHL5+.

Not only is it reasonably priced, in audiophile terms, it claims to have a power supply, patent pending, that does away with the need for expensive power cables and mains treatment.

So you think of something and it's already been done, well by the look of it, so what are the chances of coming up with something that has not been done already?

Now, what am I going to do with my aftermarket power cables and PS Audio P3 ..... ?

Comment

Just kidding

Originally posted by acroyear View Post
                          I think the main objective with the Harbeth amp is to have a unit that actually has useful features, ones that translate into a system that does not clip very early in the volume rotation, one that has some type of EQ to make the most of poor recordings and one that can sufficiently drive the loudspeakers, I'm not sure anybody who made suggestions even commented on the sound quality other than perhaps that the response should be flat.
                          All points noted, and of course perfectly sensible. I should add that I was not in any way suggesting that anyone had commented on sound quality - that was just meant as a bit of light-hearted, tongue firmly in cheek, humour.

Mike.

Comment

'Only the discerning need apply' !

Last weekend we visited the former home of British Prime Minister, Sir Edward Heath, in Salisbury, here. It was a lovingly preserved home, bright and airy and not too big to heat and maintain - absolutely charming.

In his study, we were shown his Sony CD player, an early machine gifted by Sony to him, his Nakamichi cassette deck, Thorens turntable (Nagaoka cartridge) and amplifier + tuner. The speakers, cunningly concealed amongst his books were LS3/5a sized.

The Harbeth amplifier discussion went through my mind as I smiled to myself as to what brand of amplifier/tuner he had. I can imagine the conversation between Sir Edward and the factory. "I understand that your amplifiers are designed for civilised people .... would you be so kind as to send me one and pop the bill in the post to my private secretary? [pause]. Listen to it? My dear chap, if it's good enough for you it's certainly good enough for a mere amateur tinkler like me...."

What was the brand? If I'd been asked to bet $10,000 in advance, I would have bet on just that brand.
                            Alan A. Shaw
                            Designer, owner
                            Harbeth Audio UK

Comment

Perhaps ....

Possibly Quad ?

Comment

Gain adjusting?

Originally posted by Dan35 View Post
                                Just FYI on gain staging. I just purchased a Parasound zamp for 2 channel HT. Reasonable and had gain adjustments on the amp.

All of the stereo amps had this option on the rear panel.
                                Interesting, I wasn't aware of those smaller amps with gain. So you have the zamp V3? At $350 seems a nice purchase. So in practice are you keeping the gain all the way open or a little lower?

I think gain on a power amp adjusts sensitivity, I'm not sure quite how it works but fully open might correspond with its quoted sensitivity and as you reduce the gain the sensitivity is reduced, I normally set gain so that 85dB or so is front volume control about half open (12 oclock) which typically has a normal amp way into clipping for CD for eg.
                                Getting to know my C7ES3

Comment

Working...
                                X