Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Is Harbeth your first Loudspeaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for perfect a perfect creature?

Originally posted by singslingr View Post
    .... (such a creature does not exist). ....
    Well, even if such creature exists, we - the human race is so inconsistent. Yesterday, I found out never ever rely on another's opinion to find out whether my system was set up properly as they are not consistent with their observation. Try it for yourself, simply claim you have changed the cables or what not, and suddenly you will hear different opinions even though you did not change a thing.

When I bought a certain SACD player, many echoed Streophile's opinion that this particular player is "laid back" and lacked attack. However, their opinions changed when I told them I am using brand "X" DAC, and the SACD player was only acting as a transport. The truth is I have never connected the DAC to the PreAmp and despite that when I simply click the DAC switch on and off, my friends could still hear some differences.

ST

Comment

Originally posted by STHLS5 View Post
      ... Try it for yourself, simply claim you have changed the cables or what not, and suddenly you will hear different opinions even though you did not change a thing...
      That is so true.

Comment

my first loudspeakers - the humble Rogers LS2a/2's. Still have them and use them for AV.

Comment

No, Harbeths were not the first speakers for me, but they will be the last. I figure the Monitor 30's are just small enough to fit on the shelf of just about any nursing home room, should it come to that!

Comment

Originally posted by STHLS5 View Post
            Well, even if such creature exists, we - the human race is so inconsistent. Yesterday, I found out never ever rely on another's opinion to find out whether my system was set up properly as they are not consistent with their observation. Try it for yourself, simply claim you have changed the cables or what not, and suddenly you will hear different opinions even though you did not change a thing.

When I bought a certain SACD player, many echoed Streophile's opinion that this particular player is "laid back" and lacked attack. However, their opinions changed when I told them I am using brand "X" DAC, and the SACD player was only acting as a transport. The truth is I have never connected the DAC to the PreAmp and despite that when I simply click the DAC switch on and off, my friends could still hear some differences.
            ST

these act could have mark the end of your Hifi journey, and mine too. anyway, Congratulation!

Comment

well, i have had Mission, Quad, ... and finally Harbeth. This love for speakers has taken it's toll on me (mentally).

Comment

End of your Hifi journey

Originally posted by coredump View Post

these act could have mark the end of your Hifi journey, and mine too. anyway, Congratulation!
                How can that be? I have just added my old super tweeter to super HL5. Already 2 days and I hear no difference. But just wondering whether it got some effect on feeling less fatigue.

But just maybe, we do not want this journey to end. Otherwise, what would we do? Just sit and enjoy the music? Oh yes we are suppose to do that.

ST

Comment

No.. Harbeth is not my first pair of loudspeakers .. far from it ! the laundry list of speakers that have passed through my home(s) over the years has been really quite something..
                  However, I've come "back" to a sound that I loved very much years ago, my ill fated Rogers Studio 1's which through the courtesy of nasty power line surge took a devastating hit (and vaporized a channel of my amp at the time !) alas they never were quite right after that, and I moved on.. and so began the non-stop parade of pretenders. Fast forward many years, and through a chance advert, a pair of M30's showed up locally (Thanks Paul !) and the music is back with a vengance.
                  Will a Harbeth speaker be my last speaker.. doubtful.. but, at the same time I suspect that I won't be stupid enough to let go of these music makers. I will keep them around even as I might flirt with others as interest arises, and then wanes again as their charms wear off.
                  The point is simple, when it comes to sitting down and enjoying MUSIC at the end of bad day, not much betters a well set up pair of Harbeths.

Comment

Starting the journey back in 1973:
                    Philips, B.I.C. Venturi, B&O, NM Acoustics (JM Lab/Focal), Impulse Cora, Martin Logan Aerius (this one for almost 10 years)
                    and then, in 2010 end of the trip, Harbeth SHL-5
                    Better late than never.

Comment

No, Harbeths were not the first. The list goes like this:

Jensen bookshelf, paper cones, sealed box. Not bad, for the money,

Polk Audio Model 5's. In the late 70's, I had heard that Polk used the Spendor BC-1 as a reference.

B&W DM 7's-a great speaker to this day! Sold them to buy:

Vandersteen 2 Ci's. First Order crossovers, a completely different sound. In hindsight, a sideways move from the B&W's.

Magneplanar MG III a's. Still have them, a reference of sorts.

My first Harbeths-the Compact 7 ES-2's. A revelation!

Sold the Vandersteens and found a used pair of DM 7's. Like dating an old girlfriend! They sounded better to me this time around than the first.

I had to have a pair of the Harbeth monitors-in came the Monitor 30's. My secondary reference, they give the Magneplanars a run for the money in a lot of ways.

Gave the DM 7's to my musician daughter. She and her friends still spellbound by them.

Had to have some B&W's around, found a pare of rare DM 17's. A great little sealed box two way.

If I had to lose all but one pair, the Monitor 30's would be the last man standing!

Comment

Harbeths were the second speaker brand I owned after I originally had a pair of Rogers LS4a in the late eighties. Around that time I was working in a BBC local Radio station and heard the LS3/5a, I thought it was good but not perfect and room for some improvement. Enter the HL-P3 in the 90's which I bought (pair in Walnut) almost immediately after their release amongst very favourable reviews and I fell in love with them instantly. Now after many years of not having any hi fi due to finances I'm getting a pair of P3ESR's which will compliment a line up of other British mini monitors I currently now own. I have to say I'm looking forward with a lot of excitement to hearing the Harbeth sound again and any improvements they've since made since the original P3, the anticipation is nearly killing me.

Comment

the first "serious" speaker I bought was a KEF Kit 3 in 1970 or thereabout. Then I decided to buy a "decent" speaker, a Spendor BC1.
                          But I also had a Radford M90 kit during that time. In 1988 on my way back from England, after a rather sad experience I spotted a review of the RUARK Broadsword in an HIFI magazine bought at the airport. I thought they might cheer me up a bit so I bought a pair. Next in line was the RUARK Crusader II, bought because I wanted something bigger and better?. Well after 10 years with them, I began to read about Harbeth and got more and more tempted. After all so many people can not be wrong. A pair of SHL5 was bought without even having heard a single note through any Harbeth, but I was for some reason so confident it did not matter.
                          They are staying, the SHL5 just play music, sometimes stunning and sometimes not, depending on the recording. I has been quite a long trip to end with Harbeth
                          for me, you get older and wiser.

Comment

Working...
                          X