Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Finally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally

After searching 30 years for the sound I liked , this quest is finally over.

Next wednesday I have my pair off PS3 where they belong ( at my place offcourse)

Thank you Mister Shaw for making this possible.

Greetings to you all from a cold and damp Holland

Fred

Welcome, Fred. Is it P3's that you have? They are marvelous speakers!

Comment

Welcome to HUG Fred. All Harbeths are marvelous & have unbeatable tonal & musical attributes. You are definitely in good company.

Comment

Welcome Fred. Your experience is identical to mine. If I'd discovered Harbeths earlier, I'd have saved a fortune on amps and players. Then I'd have had enough to buy me ESRs!
        Ben from UK. Harbeth Super HL5 owner.

Comment

Nice Fred! Glad to see another recent P3 owner here.

Comment

Thanks for the warm and friendly welcome.

Yes...I bought the P3ESR. I had them compared with a wide selection of speakers which are known to be a good match with Naim. Like Spendor, Neat, Sonusfaber, Wilson Benesch. They all have their benefits, But the small Harbeths did it for me....

In case you wonder what speaker stands they are on!

The custummade fs 104...Fits nicely

Greetings to you all from Holland

fred

Please to excuse my English

Comment

Wow...

Plug and Thrill

Fred

Comment

Your English is fine Fred...welcome to the P3ESR club! You will have many happy hours of enjoyable listening!

Comment

Fred, I'm thinking that you must be enjoying them!

Comment

Oh Sure...Although at First I had the feeling off a small curtaIn hanging in front of the speakers. Anoying! I removed the grilles this morning and now I enjoy them much more. The curtains are open. Maybe it has also something to do with my room acoustics. Well.. Small thing(sorry) |The vineer on the right speaker is lighter than the left one, not disturbing but noticable.

Have to get used to the sound which is totally diferent to the speakers I had for over 15 years.

Comment

Hi Fred, take your time to enjoy these little beauties you have. The thing about Harbeths is that they may not wow you initially but spend a little more time with them & their subtle beauty, musicality & accuracy of instrumental timbre will soon get to you.

Comment

I think I already am much more enyoing them already. It"s a learning proces. Although I think they could do with a touch more up frontness. And it seems to me they sound a bit dry.Maybe it has something to do with my room acoustics.

Comment

Hi Fred, are u using the P3ESRs with Naim as mentioned above? Naims are by nature a tad dry but compensate with a faster & more immediate presentation. Try an LFD LE III or IV or Lavardin IS Ref or perhaps a Creek Destiny with the P3s. Of the 3 amps, LFD is the closest to Naim in terms of 'PRAT' but has a more organic, liquid & transparent midband & sweeter highs. Some folks here like their Harbeths with Luxman. All of these amps will sound more liquid than Naims.

Comment

Hi Gan,

Thanks for the suggestion but I leave it the way it is. I came to the conclusion that it all came down to a learning process. you have to learn to appreciate the neutrality and the clarity off this speakers. When you do you really enjoy them and nothing in this price range sound better.A big plus is the total absence of Listening fatigue.

On the other hand, sometimes they sound a bit dull....Maybe that has something to do with the recording. BTW Bought them just in time. A week later and I had to pay 15 % more.

Fred from a sunny but cold Holland
                            Last edited by fred40; 20-02-2011, 02:45 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Fred - It looks like you're acquainting yourself with your new Harbeths.
                              IMO, the P3's are neutral/accurate speakers. This is a tough description to throw around - I wasn't in the studio when the artist was recording. But I do notice that the P3's sound very different from recording to recording, they simply pass along what was recorded/mixed/mastered. Yes, some mixes can be on the dull side, if that's the case, then that's what the Harbeths will show you. No hyping or extra color...

Comment

Working...
                              X