Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, SHL5, Monitor 30 & Monitor 40.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, SHL5, Monitor 30 & Monitor 40.1

We have the Harbeth Compact 7ES-3, SHL5, Monitor 30 & Monitor 40.1 loudspeakers in stock at Parmenter Sound for our audio demonstrations.
    We can demonstrate the Harbeth speakers with a selection of amplifiers from Leben HiFi, AirTight, Pass Labs & our own Parmenter Valve amplifiers at this time.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parmen...38776836166685
    Attached Files
    Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Tube traps in my room

Here is a picture of my Harbeth SHL5 set up in my dedicated music room with acoustic room treatment from Acoustic Sciences Corporation (ASC) and Real Traps.

The three 7 foot tall by 16 inch tube traps are along my rear wall behind the speakers, this is the launch wall for your sound system and the most important wall in your listening room to treat for best sonic results.
    Attached Files
    Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

AirTight + Monitor 40.1 = wonderful!

Here is a picture of the AirTight ATM-3 valve mono blocks matched with the AirTight ATC-2 valve preamplifier powering my Harbeth Monitor 40.1 loudspeakers.

The AirTight ATM-3 offers 55 watts Triode & 110 Watts UL output power, I am using the ATM-3 mono blocks in UL mode with my Harbeth M40.1, this system provides a wonderful combination of bass control and natural presentation of voice and instruments.
      Attached Files
      Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

Stands for SHL5

Hi Jason, which stands are the SHL-5 on? Are they custom made or are branded ?

Comment

Different room

Originally posted by Jason View Post
          Here is a picture of my Harbeth SHL5 set up in my dedicated music room with acoustic room treatment from Acoustic Sciences Corporation (ASC) and Real Traps...
          Hi Jason,

This is quite different from your usual other picture with what seems to be a "many windows" room with lots of reflections.

By the way, what are those nice horn speakers behind the SHL5? As a friend of mine just bought an old pair of Klipsch, I'm tempted to discover more of these kind of speakers.

Regards,

Sébastien

Comment

Sound Anchor stands

Hi Panditr, I'm not Jason... obviously! but I can tell you that both the stands under the SHL-5s and the 40.1s are made in the USA by Sound Anchors .

They have a comprehensive web site(www.Soundanchors.com). They are very high quality and are completely welded and very heavy.
            The price is fair for the quality but shipping costs would be the problem!

Comment

Local carpenter made my stands

Originally posted by panditr View Post
              I got mine done by a local carpenter for Rs 3000 for the pair - that about USD 60. With casters. There really is nothing to it, they just need to be of the right height, and stable enough to provide a safe place for the speakers to sit on.

Comment

SHL5 and Soundanchor 4 posts

Originally posted by panditr View Post
                Hi Panditr, the SHL5 are on the Sound Anchor 4 post stands, these stands are actually a bit high for the SHL5 as this pair is designed for the Harbeth Monitor 30.

They still sound wonderful with the SHL5 but they lift the soundstage a bit higher than normal.
                Thanks Jason.
                Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

Lively demo room

[QUOTE=Sebastien;16373]Hi Jason,

This is quite different from your usual other picture with what seems to be a "many windows" room with lots of reflections.

By the way, what are those nice horn speakers behind the SHL5? As a friend of mine just bought an old pair of Klipsch, I'm tempted to discover more of these kind of speakers.

Hi Sebastien, yes this is my large open plan room 7.5 meters x 10.5 meters, this room has large double glazed windows designed for maximum view looking up the West coast of NZ at Muriwai beach. We use this room for one of our demonstration rooms because of its design, it is not a ideal acoustic room and it shows that you can still get wonderful sound from a audio system in this environment. We also have a smaller 4.5 meter x 7.5 meter acoustically treated demonstration room to show what can be achieved with proper room treatment.

Thanks for the positive comments on the large speakers in the background, they are my own designed Parmenter Fat Boy horns, there is only one pair of these speakers made.

I will not go into detail on my speakers on the Harbeth forum but if you want more information on this speaker please Google search Parmenter Fat Boy horn speaker.

Thanks Jason.
                  Attached Files
                  Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

New batch just arrived

New Harbeth speakers arrived and ready to go to their new homes, Monitor 30, Compact 7ES-3 & SHL5 in box`s.
                    To our new Harbeth clients we would like to welcome you to the fresh natural sound of Harbeth.
                    Attached Files
                    Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

New stand supplier in New Zealand

We have started manufacturing speaker stands here (in New Zealand) now for the Harbeth range of loudspeakers, these will be a 4 post open frame stand made from Oak using a 45 mm x 45 mm solid wood post and 4 x 8 mm threaded spikes.

We are starting with stands for the Harbeth SHL5 then manufacturing to order for the rest of the Harbeth range. Pictures will be posted soon.
                      Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

Nice! look forward to seeing the pics.

Comment

New Zealand made Harbeth stands

Harbeth loudspeaker stands are being designed and made by Parmenter Sound, here is a pair of Harbeth SHL5 speaker stands in Ash wood before going to the painter to be sprayed black. We will be making speaker stands for the whole Harbeth range.

The Parmenter Harbeth 4 post speaker stand comes standard with 4 x 8 mm spikes per stand.

Harbeth SHL5 speaker stand as pictured is $800 NZD or $700 a pair when ordered with new Harbeth loudspeakers.
                          Attached Files
                          Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

It's beautiful!

Comment

Like open frame stands

Hi Garmtz, thanks for the very positive feedback on my new Harbeth speaker stand, I really like the open frame design but still offering a very strong platform for the loudspeakers to be placed.
                              Thanks Jason.

www.parmentersound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X