Announcement

Collapse

HUG - here for all audio enthusiasts

Since its inception ten years ago, the Harbeth User Group's ambition has been to create a lasting knowledge archive. Knowledge is based on facts and observations. Knowledge is timeless. Knowledge is human independent and replicatable. However, we live in new world where thanks to social media, 'facts' have become flexible and personal. HUG operates in that real world.

HUG has two approaches to contributor's Posts. If you have, like us, a scientific mind and are curious about how the ear works, how it can lead us to make the right - and wrong - decisions, and about the technical ins and outs of audio equipment, how it's designed and what choices the designer makes, then the factual area of HUG is for you. The objective methods of comparing audio equipment under controlled conditions has been thoroughly examined here on HUG and elsewhere and can be easily understood and tried with negligible technical knowledge.

Alternatively, if you just like chatting about audio and subjectivity rules for you, then the Subjective Soundings sub-forum is you. If upon examination we think that Posts are better suited to one sub-forum than than the other, they will be redirected during Moderation, which is applied throughout the site.

Questions and Posts about, for example, 'does amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B' or 'which speaker stands or cables are best' are suitable for the Subjective Soundings area.

The Moderators' decision is final in all matters regarding what appears here. That said, very few Posts are rejected. HUG Moderation individually spell and layout checks Posts for clarity but due to the workload, Posts in the Subjective Soundings area, from Oct. 2016 will not be. We regret that but we are unable to accept Posts that present what we consider to be free advertising for products that Harbeth does not make.

That's it! Enjoy!

{Updated Nov. 2016A}
See more
See less

A Harbeth centre channel speaker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size is a serious issue

I too agree with mod the size really is a serious consideration as I raised this in #3. Majority of the TH guys care only for bass and blasting effect, don't care about true center quality or care in a very different way.

Why not create a poll to understand how many true harbeth lovers in HUG use Harbeth for movie or use more for stereo or surround.

{Moderator's comment: we've tried polling (here) before. Too few replies. We cannot make sensible business decisions based on 0.1% of HUG membership responses. That is not enough feedback.}
    "Bath with Music"

Comment

Incentives

Originally posted by keithwwk View Post
      {Moderator's comment: we've tried polling (here) before. Too few replies. We cannot make sensible business decisions based on 0.1% of HUG membership responses. That is not enough feedback.}
      Have you considered incentives? Prize draw, discount coupon, etc. That could drive up your response rate.

{Moderator's comment: .... but would they actually buy?}

Comment

Centre channel takers?

Anyone want to go 50/50 on a pair of SHL5's, split the pair for use as a center channel and report back to HUG on the SQ?

Comment

Thin and wide, if you must have centre channel

My priority is for stereo music. So, given that I do not want to clutter my lounge too much, the choice was between five smaller surround speakers or two larger stereo ones, and also listen to movie audio in stereo. In my view, two large stereo speakers give better sound than five small ones, even for movies.

However, if one wants surround, I think the centre speaker should be as shallow as possible (10-15 cm) to blend with ever thinner televisions, quite low (15-20 cm), and as wide as is necessary to have enough internal volume (even 1 metre would be fine). One important technical concern would be that the speaker should be designed to sound best when fitted flush against the wall (as are modern televisions).

Altogether I am sure this is quite a challenge. I don't think a Centre speaker needs to be enormous or designed to work best with very large speakers. I at least would never combine one with something like an M40.1. The largest combination that I would find domestically tolerable would be something like two M30.1 fronts, two P3ESR rears, a smallish centre such as I outlined, and a sub of medium size proportions.
          Willem

Comment

Centre?

Whatever happened to this idea?

Comment

Working...
            X